Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

S-M-C and Super Takumar 50mm f1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: S-M-C and Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 Reply with quote

( later edit: my original post was about Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 and so the title had said, but since later posts show photos taken with the S-M-C Takumar 50mm f1.4 I renamed the topic mentioning both )

after being very happy with the Pentax M50mm f2 lens but wanting a 50mm also in M42 and having read here and there that the Takumar 50mm f1.4 is supposed to be a top lens I got one, a cheap copy though with some scratches and even some fungus.

some sample photos:

japanes green tea, front focus and a bit of motion blur:

symbol of old 'Hirakata', Japan, in Hirakata subway station:

private house in Hirakata ( yes, in Japan some houses look like this..)

information booth lady at a department store, Osaka:

all my photos taken with this lens:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157605068542767/

all my photos taken with manual lenses:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/collections/72157604973031858/

best regards,
Andreas

Last edited by kuuan on Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent pictures, rare opportunity to see any from Japan. Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a wonderfull lens.
In another post, you write about optical troubles with M42 lenses.
Do you mean this lens?

regards Peter

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed, Andreas. I think your lens is the same version as mine, does it have 37800 stamped on the back of the A-M switch? If so, this is the lens with the radioactive Thorium element. I've seen it written that Asahi knowingly sold this lens at a loss in order to out-shine the opposition. Whether this is true or not, the lens certainly deserves its reputation.

If you ever feel like cleaning it, here's a nice instruction article:
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~Srawhiti/pentax50mmf1.4.html

Lovely pictures from Japan, any more please?

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Very nice indeed, Andreas. I think your lens is the same version as mine, does it have 37800 stamped on the back of the A-M switch.

If so, this is the lens with the radioactive Thorium element. I've seen it written that Asahi knowingly sold this lens at a loss in order to out-shine the opposition. Whether this is true or not, the lens certainly deserves its reputation.

no, mine says 37801. Do you know what difference this signifies?

peterqd wrote:
If you ever feel like cleaning it, here's a nice instruction article:
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~Srawhiti/pentax50mmf1.4.html

Lovely pictures from Japan, any more please?

thank's a lot for the link Peter.

you like photos from Japan? well , you asked for it, you get them
Since this thread is about the SuperTak 50mm f1.4 all the following photos are taken with this lens. I only have the lens since a few days so I do not have a large selection yet, some are not well focused or otherwise technically not perfect, I hope you still enjoy.

now this could be an overload, specially also for somebody with slow connection.

Anyway, if you like to see Photos from Japan please visit my flickr page linked below!
for photos which are taken with manual lenses only follow this link ( which are not so many as I just started abt. 2 weeks ago ) http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/collections/72157604973031858/

In the next post some night shots for which the f1.4 really came in handy!

thank you,
Andreas

Last edited by kuuan on Wed May 21, 2008 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: and some night shots Reply with quote

some night shots from downtown Osaka:

in a posh shopping street:

there was some celebrity cruising on a boat below, some camera teams had shown up:

the celebrity was famous with the girls...

hope you enjoy,
Andreas

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy all your nice shots, thank you Andreas for this nice visit in the streets of Osaka Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Very nice indeed, Andreas. I think your lens is the same version as mine, does it have 37800 stamped on the back of the A-M switch? If so, this is the lens with the radioactive Thorium element. I've seen it written that Asahi knowingly sold this lens at a loss in order to out-shine the opposition. Whether this is true or not, the lens certainly deserves its reputation.

yep, according to what it says here: http://www.photography-forums.com/t79623-list-of-takumar-lenses-that-turn-yellow.html

our lenses are the same, or at least both are...RADIOACTIVE...and this to me, a fervent opponent of nuclear energy Wink

my lens in fact is somewhat yellow. It will enjoy a sunbath later in the year in the Philippines or Bali!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. Super great shoots, tahnks for all of them.
Is true that if you expose the lens to the direct sun, lack the radioactivity, and with this the lens reduce his effective aperture because the radiactive element increase the light's transmission?

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: and some night shots Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
some night shots from downtown Osaka:

I do like a good candid or two Smile
Those have the feeling of being there; never mind the slightly dodgy focus etc, that lens is showing its worth out and about at night.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lens and fascinating pictures. Thank you Andreas. Osaka is clearly an interesting place, but then I think most people live in places of interest. As already mentioned - we dont see a lot of Japan in general

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Good lens and fascinating pictures. Thank you Andreas. Osaka is clearly an interesting place, but then I think most people live in places of interest. As already mentioned - we dont see a lot of Japan in general

patrickh

For that most poeple live in places of interest goes without saying I am still wondering what you want to say.
Have I posted too many photos from Japan?
But then again, I was asked to, and not posting photos from Japan would mean that I'd have to stop posting photos altogether.
Well, I tried to choose more 'neutral' looking photos for my latest thread about 28mm lenses, but with your permission I shall post more sample photos there,
and if anybody askes me to also here.

cheers,
Andreas

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hallo kuuan!
I think, patrik mean, that we don´t see anythink of japan in the ordinary dayliving, but you give us a chance, to see very deep in this land, and this is very good.
I post pictures from Austria East, borderzone to hungaria, a winecountry with a big lake inside without high hills.
Today i catched a Pentax M28/3,5, so i have my 28mm on PK.

Today, I saw a very old house in the City, it brings a lot of good motives.

regards Peter

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most pictures we see of foreign countries (wherever we live) are in newspapers or magazines. These are usually printed for a specific purpose - news, art, travelogue. The kinds of pictures we see on fora like this are "real life" - taken by mainly ordinary folk in ordinary situations. I always enjoy any pictures I see on this forum - there is always something of interest about them and very often they will open a door for us into a different style of living/culture. Even something as simple as a cup of coffee - we never see individual filters here in the US for example, but they are fairly common in parts of Europe. Silly things one might say, but interesting.
There is no way you could do the overkill bit with your pictures of Osaka daily life

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Kyoto Reply with quote

padiej wrote:
hallo kuuan!
I think, patrik mean, that we don´t see anythink of japan in the ordinary dayliving, but you give us a chance, to see very deep in this land, and this is very good.
I post pictures from Austria East, borderzone to hungaria, a winecountry with a big lake inside without high hills.
Today i catched a Pentax M28/3,5, so i have my 28mm on PK.

Today, I saw a very old house in the City, it brings a lot of good motives.

regards Peter

congrats on your K mount 28 Peter,
and looking forward to seeing some photos of my home country!

patrickh wrote:
Most pictures we see of foreign countries (wherever we live) are in newspapers or magazines. These are usually printed for a specific purpose - news, art, travelogue. The kinds of pictures we see on fora like this are "real life" - taken by mainly ordinary folk in ordinary situations. I always enjoy any pictures I see on this forum - there is always something of interest about them and very often they will open a door for us into a different style of living/culture. Even something as simple as a cup of coffee - we never see individual filters here in the US for example, but they are fairly common in parts of Europe. Silly things one might say, but interesting.
There is no way you could do the overkill bit with your pictures of Osaka daily life

patrickh

thank you Patrick, I had misunderstood.
Personally I am very drawn to take pictures of the very mondane, even how a light switch looks like in another country can be interesting.
Most of all try to capture 'typical' but 'increasingly rare' sights, the Japan of the 50th and 60th and 70th which still can be found but which is vanishing. A photo of the fashionable girl downtown would get more views and appraisals on my flickr page though..I believe that somebody who knows the place might appreciate some of my photos even more than somebody who doesn't.

here some VERY japanese photos, taken yesterday in Kyoto,
all taken with the S.M.C. Takumar 50mm f1.4

I hope you like them
yesterday I carried 2 lenses, the SM.C. Takumar 50mm 1.4 and 28mm f3.5, I may post some photos at the 28mm as well
( and as always more on my flickr page )

best greetings,
Andreas

Last edited by kuuan on Thu May 29, 2008 1:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh wow, that last one, with the car, so excellent - it could be in a magazine.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fascinating series from a fascinating country, Andreas.

More please.... Cool

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
oh wow, that last one, with the car, so excellent - it could be in a magazine.

thank you Nesster
but I shall have a hard time to follow it up, I also believe it is one of my best.

bob955i wrote:
A fascinating series from a fascinating country, Andreas.

More please.... Cool

thank you very much Bob!
Bob please if you want to see more of the photos I am taking in Japan please visit my flickr page linked below, almost daily new uploads there.
( I should not 'misuse' this forum by posting too many photos )

best greetings,
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much for this series. I am very interested in seeing the street life of Japan (and of any other country for that matter).
It sort of makes up for the travels that I will not be able to make unfortunatley.
So please keep sending!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. Japan is such a fascinating country. I would love to go there one day!

BTW, my SuperTak 1.4/50 also shows 37801. What I always wanted to know: Does the yellowing have the same effect on b&w film a yellow filter has, i.e. increasing contrast? Does anybody know that?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating indeed - and the one with the car is fantastic. It has a great narative.

My fungus ridden, albeit mint, version of this lens also appears to be the radioactive type! I'd no idea. It seems there were quite a few with these rare earth elements

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the last series are superb
like a storybook for a Hollywood production
those shots are very high level and also artistic

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those three with the geisha and especially the last one, which was like a bit of photo-voyeurism, are excellent - more candids. The slightly iffy focus on the two colour geisha pics doesn't detract from them at all, in my opinion, since it makes them look like grab shots.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thank you so much everybody!

Orio wrote:
Thanks much for this series. I am very interested in seeing the street life of Japan (and of any other country for that matter).
It sort of makes up for the travels that I will not be able to make unfortunatley.
So please keep sending!

glad to know that you enjoy these photos Orio! I will send more
( but as mentioned, many more on my flickr site, and many other photos of much better photographers e.g see my 'favourites' )

LucisPictor wrote:
Thanks for sharing. Japan is such a fascinating country. I would love to go there one day!

few are aware of, but right now Japan is cheaper than Europe!

Xpres wrote:
Fascinating indeed - and the one with the car is fantastic. It has a great narative.

My fungus ridden, albeit mint, version of this lens also appears to be the radioactive type! I'd no idea. It seems there were quite a few with these rare earth elements

thank's Xpres, glad to know you like it.
My copy has some fungus also, but it still works.

poilu wrote:
the last series are superb
like a storybook for a Hollywood production
those shots are very high level and also artistic

wow poilu, great encouragement from you
thank you, makes me feel good!

Farside wrote:
Those three with the geisha and especially the last one, which was like a bit of photo-voyeurism, are excellent - more candids. The slightly iffy focus on the two colour geisha pics doesn't detract from them at all, in my opinion, since it makes them look like grab shots.

thank you Farside, and I guess you are right about the 'bad' focus does not disturb too much.
When I had bought my camera used a few weeks back i spontaniously had decided to also take a Tamron 18-200mm, an AF lens because it was given at a very low price as a package. It's IQ just did not compare to that of my MF lenses and I never used it much. I must admit however, that after I had missed quite a few shots of the Geishas due to bad focus I had decided that I should at least have one AF lens that produces good IQ, went back to the shop and exchanged the Tamron for a Sigma 17-70mm.

some more photos, handhelds with the SuperTak 50mm f1.4 from yesterday night, though they may not be that much japanese:

I find the possibility this lens, by far my fastest, offers to take handheld photos at very low light fascinating. My camera does not have IS. If it had IS I'd be tempted to use lower ISO with longer exposure time, but maybe this would not be of advantage here as the people walking would be less crisp. At ISO 1600 the Pentax *istDS is grainy of course, but here no noise reduction is applied ( I had tried but found the grainy but crisper originals better. But I also found in the EXIF that the first was on 1/400 sec. the second on 1/200 sec. so I could/should have taken them at ISO 800 - but they was taken very fast, while walking by.. )

best greetings,
Andreas

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo Andi!
To clean noise, I used the freeware Noiseware Community Edition, i am very happy with it.
You can plane the picture so good, and so, the size will be smaler by eleminate the grain.
Simple and good -
You infected me to use the open eye too, aperture 1,4 in the night by walkung around a city -

regards Peter