Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus Zuiko Auto-s 50mm f/1.4 - Three different films
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Olympus Zuiko Auto-s 50mm f/1.4 - Three different films Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the right forum (I will post in film as well) but I wanted show off this lens, and the versatility you get with different film stock. I still love digital photography, but it is a very different beast from film. Smile

First Kodak Ektar 100.

The lens offers amazing contrast and colour rendition, and handles hard sun really well.

Next Ferrania Solaris 200
Shooting with low sunlight is not a problem and can produce lovely retro style results.

Finally, Super HD200 High Definition
Lovely bokeh and colours, very nice for indirect light

It's not that easy to separate the lens performance from the film type I think. Both really matter a lot. It explains why I often feel so ambiguous about lens tests in this forum. The digital only tests don't seem to coax enough information out of the lenses presented. Smile

R

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Olympus Zuiko Auto-s 50mm f/1.4 - Three different films Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:

It's not that easy to separate the lens performance from the film type I think. Both really matter a lot. It explains why I often feel so ambiguous about lens tests in this forum. The digital only tests don't seem to coax enough information out of the lenses presented. Smile
R

Besides that your examples are really nice I want to point out that those lenses have been designed for film and not for digital. Wink

So the most interesting discussions are how this old lenses cope with the different circumstances of contemporary digital photography. It turned out that although there might be some differences on film, which I didn't realize myself up to now to a similar extent, the differences on sensor type and size for one and the same lens might be rather huge. However, I have to admit that I never assigned the differences seen in the final picture when shooting film primarily to the lens but rather on the film and I never made such intense comparisons between lenses on the same film like I do nowadays on digital. Anyway, I think it makes sense that the situation on film is comparable.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Olympus Zuiko Auto-s 50mm f/1.4 - Three different films Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:

It's not that easy to separate the lens performance from the film type I think. Both really matter a lot. It explains why I often feel so ambiguous about lens tests in this forum. The digital only tests don't seem to coax enough information out of the lenses presented. SmileR

It's good to read this - I've been thinking I was an'ostrich-with-my-head-in-the-sand' for some time. These days I rarely use film but your words encourage me to buy some colour slide material and see for myself how my older and newer lenses work out. How often have I said that one saw differences between lenses more clearly when shooting Kodachrome? Or any other reversal film for that matter. RIP Kodachrome, but I can still get Fujichrome, even if I have to get it sent by mail !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Olympus Zuiko Auto-s 50mm f/1.4 - Three different films Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
rudolfkremers wrote:

R

Besides that your examples are really nice I want to point out that those lenses have been designed for film and not for digital. Wink

So the most interesting discussions are how this old lenses cope with the different circumstances of contemporary digital photography. It turned out that although there might be some differences on film, which I didn't realize myself up to now to a similar extent, the differences on sensor type and size for one and the same lens might be rather huge. However, I have to admit that I never assigned the differences seen in the final picture when shooting film primarily to the lens but rather on the film and I never made such intense comparisons between lenses on the same film like I do nowadays on digital. Anyway, I think it makes sense that the situation on film is comparable.

Thanks! Very Happy

Regarding what is more interesting... that depends on personal preference. Right now I am MUCH more interested in how a lens performs on film, and I would definitely like to see more of that aspect in this forum. Manual FOcus Lenses is described as such:

"Discuss use, characteristics, history of manual lenses. Post here lens sample photos" and doesn't specify digital or film. The galleries elsewhere on the forum cover film AND digital photos. This however is the place to discuss lenses. It seems interesting at least to some of us to also cover performance on film?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rudolf, you are certainly right.

However, as explained, most of us didn't compare intensively on film before. At least I didn't. Though I had my favorite films for different situations but never for different lenses. That was my point.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Rudolf, you are certainly right.

However, as explained, most of us didn't compare intensively on film before. At least I didn't. Though I had my favorite films for different situations but never for different lenses. That was my point.

Ah I see, yeah fair enough! Its kinda fun to use all these different lenses on film, and it shows that there definitely are big differences in performance. For me its a side-effect of collecting manual lenses for digital, and then starting to focus on film. I have a boatload of lenses now and I want to try them all haha.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Olympus Zuiko Auto-s 50mm f/1.4 - Three different films Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
rudolfkremers wrote:

It's not that easy to separate the lens performance from the film type I think. Both really matter a lot. It explains why I often feel so ambiguous about lens tests in this forum. The digital only tests don't seem to coax enough information out of the lenses presented. SmileR

It's good to read this - I've been thinking I was an'ostrich-with-my-head-in-the-sand' for some time. These days I rarely use film but your words encourage me to buy some colour slide material and see for myself how my older and newer lenses work out. How often have I said that one saw differences between lenses more clearly when shooting Kodachrome? Or any other reversal film for that matter. RIP Kodachrome, but I can still get Fujichrome, even if I have to get it sent by mail !

Do it! Worst that can happen is a small loss of time and some money, but you are almost guaranteed to have fun Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, film or digital, this is a most excellent lens imo.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:

At least you proved it for film. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
rudolfkremers wrote:

At least you proved it for film. Wink

Hahaha (thanks). I did post a thread on this lens on my Canon 60d a while ago. I was happy then too Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
I was happy then too Wink

That should be in any case by far the most important factor. Independently from other opinions and other lenses or medium used. Laughing