Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FUJINON EBC COATING vs CARL ZEISS T* COATING
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:12 am    Post subject: FUJINON EBC COATING vs CARL ZEISS T* COATING Reply with quote

I honestly cannot find any differences between these two. Am i wrong for saying that the EBC coating produces the same colors as the T* coating ? Here are some samples with the EBC Fujinon 50/1.4 M42 Lens and the Carl Zeiss Planar 50/1.4 AEJ Contax Lens wide open shot on a 5D MIII.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the EBC is slightly brighter, as in more light transmission. (If all else was set up identically)
The tonality of the T coating and EBC are almost indistinguishable. But the EBC image is always lighter.

I personally compared two identical Fujinon 55 f/1.8 primes...one non-EBC and other EBC. Shot under same settings, conditions, time, and subjects.
What I saw was consistent with your results. EBC photo was always slightly brighter, which under certain conditions also yielded more detail.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
I think the EBC is slightly brighter, as in more light transmission. (If all else was set up identically)
The tonality of the T coating and EBC are almost indistinguishable. But the EBC image is always lighter.

I personally compared two identical Fujinon 55 f/1.8 primes...one non-EBC and other EBC. Shot under same settings, conditions, time, and subjects.
What I saw was consistent with your results. EBC photo was always slightly brighter, which under certain conditions also yielded more detail.

So is it safe for me to say the the EBC coating is superior to the T* coating ?

What advantage does the T* coating have against the EBC ? None from what i can tell.

Now what advantage does the EBC has against the T* ? Well, better light transmission and this automatically makes it a better performer in low light situations. Dont you agreed ?

Because as far as color rendition and contrast goes they are both nearly identical. And as for wide open sharpness, either they both are just as sharp or the Fujinon is even sharper.

But this is just my opinion.

I want to get rid of one of these two but i dont know which one to keep.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yahvel wrote:

I want to get rid of one of these two but i don't know which one to keep.

Try them again against the light and with back-lit subjects.
Also in very reflective environments like strong sunlight on water or snow.
You will have a more informed idea of which one handles these situations better.
My guess is that there will be little difference, but if there is, this may help you to decide.
OH