Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ID needed, is this a 7 element Hexanon 28/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: ID needed, is this a 7 element Hexanon 28/3.5 Reply with quote

Hi, I'm almost sure that this lens is a 7-element Konica Hexanon 28/3.5

If so, is it a late version? The lens looks unused except for the cap which has a scratch on it. I found this one in my closet, I didn't remember I had it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's a 7 element version.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Yes, it's a 7 element version.

+1.

Without a doubt.

Among others tips to recongnice a 7 elements, there is the follow:

If the triangle that indicate the aperture is into a ring only for it, an old 7 elements is present.

Congrats.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ID needed, is this a 7 element Hexanon 28/3.5 Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:

If so, is it a late version? The lens looks unused except for the cap which has a scratch on it. I found this one in my closet, I didn't remember I had it.

The late version has the focus ring in rubber, no in metal.

Diferences? Well, perhaps the last (rubber focus ring) has better coated. The rest are the same lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 7 element version is better than the 5 element and one of the very best 28s imho.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I think there is a later 7-element version also with a rubber focusing ring. Is the newer one identical optically or does it have better coatings? I do prefer the feel of the older all metal Hexanons.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
Thanks everyone. I think there is a later 7-element version also with a rubber focusing ring. Is the newer one identical optically or does it have better coatings? I do prefer the feel of the older all metal Hexanons.

You just know this, but if not, here is

http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/eHexanonHaupt.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weakness of the 7 element one is it flares quite a bit, but otherwise, it's great. I sold my copy of the 5 element a couple of years ago, but from what I remember it was more flare resistant by quite a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I have a look through your closet? Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the last and best 7/7 lens here is what to look for:

http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/Objektive/e28_35.html

Hexanon AR, Focusing ring with checkered rubber inlay, Smallest aperture 16, 7 elements in 7 groups, Green AE mark, Round AE lock button, approx. 1975

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easiest way to differentiate the 7/7 from a 5/5 version, only the 5/5 goes to f/22.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a photo of my 7/7 rubber copy, but then realised that buhla already had one up there. But here it is anyways Very Happy

214grams FWIW.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My all metal lens is 214g as well according to my kitchen scales.

Buhla states that the newest rubber ring 7/7 version is best. I read somewhere on the net that this is due to more advanced coatings. I wonder if this is really true? Has anyone ever compared an all metal lens versus the latest rubber ring version.

I don't agree with everything that Buhla says, for example I find the 57/1.4 to be a wonderful performer while Buhla saya it is only mediocre.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Can I have a look through your closet? Wink

Yes, if you ever visit Jakobstad, Finland. The lens was standing on three boxes of new old stock Hexanon 35/2

Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: ID needed, is this a 7 element Hexanon 28/3.5 Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:

Pontus, yours is definitely a 7/7 model (it was probably made in August 1972).
The 7/7 model is easily recognized by the fact that its serial number is on the front of the lens. The 5/5 model has its serial number on the barrel, next to the mount.
The rubber focusing version of the 7/7 was made from early 1973 to mid-1978. It’s a time when coatings evolved greatly, so just because the lens has a rubber focusing ring does not necessarily mean that its coatings are somehow better than those of its all-metal brother made 4 months earlier. As a general rule, the later the lens, the better the coatings. Check the production code on the back of the lens for the date of manufacture: https://sites.google.com/site/tks0en/3-hexanon-ar-lenses/time-of-production

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lens has the production code 2I indicating October 1972. The coating is faint and slightly purple (Color Dynamic Coating).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The 7 element version is better than the 5 element and one of the very best 28s imho.

Using 24 MP FF the late 7 element AE version has sharper corners than the 5 element AE version. Otherwise they seem quite similar.

The 5 element Minolta MC / MD 3.8/28mm, however, is visibly better than my three Hexanon 3.5/28mm lenses.

Stephan