Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZ 28mm f2 Distagon ZE
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: CZ 28mm f2 Distagon ZE Reply with quote

Somebody local to me is selling one for $500 (equivalent).

I know this isn't the Made in Germany C/Y mount one, but the modernized one which is probably made by Cosina/Voigtlander, right?

But is the optical formula the same as the Hollywood Distagon?

I know I was looking for an 85mm lens, and I already have the Canon EF 28mm f1.8 but the chance to get (hopefully) a Hollywood Distagon for such a price is quite tempting...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This review by Ming Thein might make the decision easier:

http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/07/19/zf28distagon/

Bear in mind that the Distagon 2/28 is not a good lens for general purpose use due to it's strong field curvature. Where it excels is low light shooting at large apertures where it's distinctive cinematic rendering is apparent. One difference to the old Hollywood version is the iris - it has 9 blades in the modern version, not 3 like the Hollywood, so bokeh and oof highlights will be different to some degree.

In short, if you want the distinctive cinematic look and shoot often in low light at large apertures, it's probably just what you want. However, if you are looking for a great general purpose 28mm lens, there are better choices.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only recently gotten enamored with 28mm because on APS-C it's not wide. But on FF it is a creditable wide, and if it's fast enough it also has (some) bokeh for environmental close range portraits.

The normal use case for 28mm is as a carry-around lens, and that would generally be at smaller apertures for which I'm guessing the field curvature would go away?

My thought process would be, this would be just like my Canon 28mm f1.8 - a useful general purpose wide at smaller apertures, with the added bonus of that cinematic bokeh effect wide open when I need it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Study Thein's article and look at his samples, and look for other samples, then you'll see how it performs stopped down.

Thein does mention that when he wants to 'run and gun' shoot he uses the Nikon 1.8/28, and says that the one thing it lacks compared to the Distagon is the high microcontrast that makes images pop.

So you might be better sticking with your Canon 1.8/28.

28mm is one of my preferred FLs, but it is much harder to find a really great 28mm than it is to find a great 35mm, sadly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most probably this will answer most of your questions:

Some prefer the Zeiss Distagon and some others the Voigtlaender Ultron.
If money isn't the issue most say that the Leica lens is best at 28mm (apprx. $ 2.000 used). I don't know.
I am happy with my older F1.9 version of the CV Ultron in L39 anyway.

However, it's mostly a matter of taste and apprx. $ 500 for either of the lenses is the average selling price nowadays for each of them.
I think you can't go wrong with either of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already linked to that Ming Thein article, so what was the point in repeating the link?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orly_andico,

Sorry, somehow confused now. Are we talking about RF or SLR style of the lens?
My comment was purely related to the RF part of the story.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I already linked to that Ming Thein article, so what was the point in repeating the link?

I don't know either and I certainly won't do that on purpose.

However, sometimes it happens that two different members write different comments at the same time which may lead to similar or even double answers.

Obviously I was not in hurry to formulate my comment and checked for another hint before I submitted my answer.
I think double is still better than nothing and the OP will certainly understand the circumstances.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks.

I am looking at the retrofocal / SLR side as I'm using Canon 5d/6d.

I briefly toyed with the idea of going Leica (the price of a used M9 has dropped to the realm of the possible!) but the body is just half the battle, those lenses are crazy expensive. It's just too impractical.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
This review by Ming Thein might make the decision easier:

Bear in mind that the Distagon 2/28 is not a good lens for general purpose use due to it's strong field curvature. Where it excels is low light shooting at large apertures where it's distinctive cinematic rendering is apparent. One difference to the old Hollywood version is the iris - it has 9 blades in the modern version, not 3 like the Hollywood, so bokeh and oof highlights will be different to some degree.

In short, if you want the distinctive cinematic look and shoot often in low light at large apertures, it's probably just what you want. However, if you are looking for a great general purpose 28mm lens, there are better choices.

Is there really a 3 blade 28mm Distagon?
I never heard of this, please might a Kind member give me soms info or a Picture of this?
I only know of 3blades in the 1.4 35 Distagon and 1.4 85 Planar for Rolleiflex and in the OLD Contaflex no ordinary mortal can afford mount.

Thanks for clearing up my ignorance Embarassed

@orly_andico:
500.-$ sounds reasonable price for the 2,0 Version, I even payed more for my 2,8 one!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

500 USD for 28/2.0 ZE is a bargain.It has some fileld curvature,visible till f4,especially at close/medium distances, but from f5.6 it is sharp across the FF digital sensor like the one of Canon 5DMK2,Sony A7 and even demanding Sony A7R.An excellent lens in short.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orly_andico wrote:
Thanks folks.

I am looking at the retrofocal / SLR side as I'm using Canon 5d/6d.

I briefly toyed with the idea of going Leica (the price of a used M9 has dropped to the realm of the possible!) but the body is just half the battle, those lenses are crazy expensive. It's just too impractical.

Well, I went for the "poor man's Leica", the Ricoh GXR-M and started with my already existed set of Russian RF lenses in the beginning.
In the meantime I have a rather extensive set of CV M39/LTM lenses of the classic line from 12 to 75mm, some Leica lenses and some exotic ones too.
I am still very happy with this set and plan to use it as long as I can. The big advantage of the GXR-M is the full compatibility with nearly all lenses in existence, especially the RF lenses and even the CV ultra wides perform better on the Ricoh than on the M9 and all other mirror less cameras too. And of course, the combination of tiny RF lenses on mirrorless camera is best for portability. Many of those lenses fit even in my jeans pocket if I am on the way. That is still the biggest advantage from my point of view. I rarely use my SLR equipment nowadays when on the move, simply for comfort reasons. Wink