Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 90 2.5 SP (52B) & Vivitar 2 x Macro Focusing TC
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Tamron 90 2.5 SP (52B) & Vivitar 2 x Macro Focusing TC Reply with quote

Recently I have added yet another macro/close up lens to my arsenal; Tamron 90 2.5 SP (52B) . As mentioned in many occasions and places, lens is nice but provides only 1:2 reproduction rate .
As a bug follower I wondered if use of mostly idle Vivitar 2 x macro focusing TC would make a nice difference or just ruin the pictures with loss of detail in exchange of introduced chromatic aberration. After a 15 minutes check of flowers around my office, I was surprised in good way. It is revealed that I possess a 180mm 1:5-5.6 lens with ~1:1.4 (must check but maybe more!) reproduction ability! Considering the IBIS and 2x crop factor of Olympus EM-5, this may be a very nice closeup rig.
Attached is several examples with 100% crops.

Moderate processed crop in Photoshop

Moderate processing on significant crop

100% crop from m43 image with zero processing! Respectable result.

Moderate raw processing in Adobe and heavy crop. Note that fly is not the domestic fly we used to see everywhere. It is a dwarf species. In order to visualize its size, you can have a look at this scale:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the 2xMFTC, given a lens with sufficient res in the centre, does a really nice job. I've used it with the Vivitar Series 1 90 2.5 and the Vivitar 135 2.8 Close Focusing, both 1:2 by themselves, and in both cases you get a pretty amazingly long and high quality 1:1+ macro lens, if a little on the slow side.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great pictures.. I happen to have these 2 lenses, the Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 and the the 2xMFTC, but never tried this combination before. I will now ...
listera - did you took these pictures handheld? what camera settings did you use? (aperture, speed..)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alonpo wrote:
Wow, great pictures.. I happen to have these 2 lenses, the Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 and the the 2xMFTC, but never tried this combination before. I will now ...
listera - did you took these pictures handheld? what camera settings did you use? (aperture, speed..)

Thanks. As always I went handheld . Manual mode, 1/250 secs. Aperture should be smtg btw 4.5 and 8, as much as my tiny on board flash allowed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

listera wrote:
alonpo wrote:

Thanks. As always I went handheld . Manual mode, 1/250 secs. Aperture should be smtg btw 4.5 and 8, as much as my tiny on board flash allowed.

That's out of my own experience the most important factor for decent hand held macro shooting: FLASH!

Otherwise it is almost impossible or just a matter of luck to get really good results. I prefer to use the strongest available one with bouncer or even a ring flash mounted on the front of the lens, depending on the subject. That allows to step down the aperture for better depth of field and sharper images and avoids shaking blur due to the very short flash exposure times.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent shots! I can second the use of the V2XMFTC with both 1:2 and 1:1 macros with good results. I actually prefer the V2XMFTC over the 1:1 adapter that comes with the 90Bokina, and the extra extension it provides gives some mag/composition adjustability.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant results! I have the 52BB, which is essentially the same lens. I love it, one of the sharpest lenses I have.
It never occurred to me to try this combo. As I bought a copy of the Vivitar 2xMFTC last month in Olympus OM.
All I need now is an Adaptall2-OM mount!

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some with the Vivitar S1 90 2.5 + 2xMFTC at ~1:1 of a just-out-of-nymph mantis (the leptospermum leaves in the background are about 1.5-2mm wide)

Also even with being down two stops from 2.5 with the TC, and even with doubling effective aperture again by being at 1:1 (maybe slightly less being 180mm?), and even with doubling aperture again with the m43 crop, here's your DOF wide open -

Razz

Also I thought the 35mm lenses looked silly on my E-P5 even bulked up with a grip and bracket on it, that's being repaired right now, so the big Vivitar 90 and adapter and 2xMFTC on the E-PM2 I used here looks positively ridiculous, like the lens has a pimple on its bum Very Happy