Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Oreston. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Meyer Oreston. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways Reply with quote

Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Oreston 50mm f/1.8

I have fallen in love with this lens. The honeymoon is long over and I still carry this or the Primoplan at all times. The oreston focuses much closer though. I find it sharp enough at wide open, but whatever it gives up in sharpness it returns in bokeh.

Th is the lens I use when I need shutter therapy and have no where to go except around my own yard. Often just the flower pots on the front porch.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several of those samples look pretty awful to my eyes, can't discern anything sharp in the frame. There are much better lenses with equally smooth bokeh.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the lens that make me want to try other Meyer Goerlitz lenses.
So far I only manage to get the 200/4 lens which I also like it for its character.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Several of those samples look pretty awful to my eyes, can't discern anything sharp in the frame. There are much better lenses with equally smooth bokeh.

Now you know why I am not too happy about my Pentacon lens. Wink

That's actually the successor with the same lens formula.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original Meyer (zebra) Oreston, wide open:

Claartje by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the title of the post,for what its worth I love the creativity of these images...its not all about sharpness. It's about a photographer and a lens, one using the other to acheive something that is as individual as the person and the lens. Too touchy feely perhaps Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I love the creativity of these images...its not all about sharpness

...totally agree on that!

A quote from Henri Cartier-Bresson: "sharpness is a bourgeois concept".

Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
mo wrote:

Wink

Thanks to both of you. I did mention the sharpness, but actually the lens does perform pretty well - not the sharpest, but plenty good enough. These images were mostly at minimum focusing distance or nearly. The lens focuses so close it contributes to the shallow depth of field, and the fall-off into blur is rapid. These are the characteristics that make the lens unique and provide for these types of images, like them or not. I like it very much. I have other lenses that will provide razor sharpness, but not quite the other characteristics of this lens.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomzcafe wrote:
This is the lens that make me want to try other Meyer Goerlitz lenses.
So far I only manage to get the 200/4 lens which I also like it for its character.

The 4/200 is a good lens, but ironically the only Meyer I have sold. The strongest character lenses are the Trioplan, as everyone knows, Primoplan, Oreston, and 80mm, 135mm, and 180mm Primotars. I have settled for a Diaplan 2.8/100 in place of the costly Trioplan, but I have an Altix 2.8/50 Trioplan that is wonderful. I also have the 3.5/75 which I am yet to properly adapt. Aside from the big Triopla and Primoplan, you should be able to find the others at fair prices. But I think the Oreston is the biggest value.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Sharpness is just one POTENTIAL benchmark for quality in a photo. These inages however are meant to be painterly, dreamlike, soft... Mood pieces.
Sharpness would actually go against them imo.
I feel exactly the same as the OP, and that also includes my Pentacon 50mm f/1.8. They are wonderful lenses if you want to attain this kind of atmosphere.

Personally I think these photos are excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meyer Oreston:

Pentacon 50mm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like that spider photo!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the photos. Nothing wrong with them. For me, things like sharpness are just tools in a box. All of the tools are equal in nature.
Anyway, nice lens, and reminds me of the glow from a lens like the Petri 55mm when used wide open. http://sjp.id.au/photography/lensbaby-velvet-56-lens/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon viewing, I can understand the love affair. Just like seeing our lover through rose-colored glasses. Every flaw is perfection.

Wonderful work, I especially like the spider one as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really wonderful Oreston pics! Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
mo wrote:

Wink

The burgeois Ansel Adams did wanderful sharp images.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
Upon viewing, I can understand the love affair. Just like seeing our lover through rose-colored glasses. Every flaw is perfection.

Well said. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

That is certainly true. He is in some respects still unbeaten. Bearing in mind how he had to work to get his results he was a real genius.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
TrueLoveOne wrote:
mo wrote:

Wink

Ansel Adams did wonderful work. Did he ever take a picture without everything in focus?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
papasito wrote:
TrueLoveOne wrote:
mo wrote:

Wink

Ansel Adams did wonderful work. Did he ever take a picture without everything in focus?

Very difficult.

He was members of the group F/64 créate to be in front of the unsharp pictorial images school.

Super sharp pictures as a New paradigm of aesthetical in the 20/30's