Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Making of a new old Trioplan
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Making of a new old Trioplan Reply with quote

Anyone heard of a group that is trying to re-make the much hyped Meyer Trioplan? Here is the link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2061029467/bring-back-the-legendary-trioplan-soap-bubble-boke/description

Made in Germany with Schott glass? Seems to be a rather interesting project, but not sure if it can be successful commercially. What would you think, both as Trioplan lovers or haters?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Making of a new old Trioplan Reply with quote

cambug wrote:
Anyone heard of a group that is trying to re-make the much hyped Meyer Trioplan? Here is the link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2061029467/bring-back-the-legendary-trioplan-soap-bubble-boke/description

Made in Germany with Schott glass? Seems to be a rather interesting project, but not sure if it can be successful commercially. What would you think, both as Trioplan lovers or haters?

Overlooked that? It was announced here too.
http://forum.mflenses.com/new-trioplan-100-2-8-but-look-at-the-price-t71271.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a very simple lens which should be no problem to reproduce quite cheaply today.
Samyang could design it before lunch on any given day I would think.
The problem is market. A bit of a hard sell to specification freaks.
I mean, f/2.8 ? That's less than f/1.4 isn't it ?

Its harder to sell rendering.

There is a considerable value for the old ones, but that is because a rather small group of aficionados is after an even smaller supply of vintage lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the high price (~1500 USD normally) could be a serious problem.
It is much more expensive than the old Trioplan 100 lenses, from my point of view it needs to have clear advantage.

I have contact with one of that company, and I have urged that a much closer focussing distance would be a real advantage - ony my classic Trioplan 100 I use most times extension tubes.
With this long lens tube it should be no big problem to implement a much longer helicoid. But at the moment it looks like it has quite a large mimimum focus distance.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens doesn't need any designing - not if copying the Trioplan is the goal. It might need some minor recalculation to take account of lead-free glass types today.

As a simple triplet, it should be one of the cheapest lenses available today. 159USD rather than 1,599.

I still think that this is a very cynical manouevre, copying something that is mostly hype. If they were really wanting to copy a classic lens, then the Trioplan would be a long way down the list of great lenses for the simple reason it isn't a great lens at all.

Honestly, I've seen maybe a handful of good Trioplan pics out of hundreds upon hundreds of garbage ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the nature of images from the Trioplan family, there's a saying about beauty being in the eye of the beholder . . . as for the suggested cost of this new incarnation, well, I suppose we can say that "value is in the estimation of the purchaser". I can understand Ian's ire at the notion that the New Trioplan should cost $1500 rather than $150 but that's the way of the marketing world. I'm not going to buy one either. Even if I could afford it Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I can understand why some love the Trioplan, but as with all matter bokeh, it's subjective. Other than the bokeh, the Trioplan doesn't do anything outlandish for a basic triplet, it's okay in sharpness etc.

It is the scalping of people with a huge price I object to, all because of that bokeh and the desire of people to follow trends in photography.

At the end of the day, what is a Trioplan?

Three bits of glass, normal standard optical types, no ED, Aspheres etc. With only 6 air-glass interfaces, any modern coating will do.

An aperture, preferably with at least 10 blades. The Chinese put these in dirt cheap adapters these days so can;t be expensive.

A metal tube.

Honestly, what more is there to it than that? The design is already there, so where are the R&D costs?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Sure, I can understand why some love the Trioplan, but as with all matter bokeh, it's subjective. Other than the bokeh, the Trioplan doesn't do anything outlandish for a basic triplet, it's okay in sharpness etc.

It is the scalping of people with a huge price I object to, all because of that bokeh and the desire of people to follow trends in photography.

At the end of the day, what is a Trioplan?

Three bits of glass, normal standard optical types, no ED, Aspheres etc. With only 6 air-glass interfaces, any modern coating will do.

An aperture, preferably with at least 10 blades. The Chinese put these in dirt cheap adapters these days so can;t be expensive.

A metal tube.

Honestly, what more is there to it than that? The design is already there, so where are the R&D costs?

totally agreed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trioplan 100mm with natural light wide open

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Its a very simple lens which should be no problem to reproduce quite cheaply today.
Samyang could design it before lunch on any given day I would think..

They should, cheap version would sell loads
Nordentro wrote:
Trioplan 100mm with natural light wide open

nice capture. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Mitakon...are you listening? Smile

Sigma for that matter. Fits perfectly marketing wise under their 'Art' banner.
Slap their linear AF motor in it, 3 pieces of modern spec glass, wrap it in shiny skin...$209 retail.

The lens has merit. I realize it's subjective, but the results are distinct and the world can always use another great lens.
Wish them success. Like everything, the initial price is high to maximize return from those willing to pay.
Price will eventually fall for later production runs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this similar in a lot of ways to the recent kickstarter campaign from lomo for the re-made Petzval:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lomography/the-lomography-new-petzval-58-bokeh-control-art-le

or any other of the lomography art lens products? I mean didn't the craze all get started with the poor little Diana. I remember having quite a few as a kid when they cost about $1.00. Obviously I mustn't have been much of a photographer, because even I considered spending the "extra" cash on film or processing to be a waste of money! LOL Of course now I have heard of people who have cut the lens off Dianas and mounted them to their Hasselblads! That said I think I have Lomo Diana lens in Canon EOS mount. When I happen to pick up a real, vintage Diana, I usually can sell it for enough to purchase a nice Vivitar, Sears or Pentax lens!

That said, and here's my point, while a truly gifted photographer can make a compelling image with a cardboard box and a pinhole, I don't think most people would spend $1000 for a pinhole!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing this Kickstarter. Not sure the price justifies the product. I did provide samples from a much cheaper alternative to this Trioplan here: http://forum.mflenses.com/pentacon-av-80mm-2-8-samples-t72317.html

That said, I've no doubt people will pick this up to feed the bokeh cult.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:37 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, too cheap isn't good, imagine a world being flooded with TRIOPLAN pics
- from "wannabe" photographers Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
hmm, too cheap isn't good, imagine a world being flooded with TRIOPLAN pics
- from "wannabe" photographers Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

The world is already flooded with Instagram pics, and super smooth bokeh pics, so imagination not needed Smile The Trioplan is a triplet with overcorrected spherical aberration. In this regard, it's not unique. The rest of this is marketing I guess. The story of Meyer Optik ended in 1990. This new company is managed by a global branding and marketing company. It's Meyer Optik in name only.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Petzwal longer focal length 75mm ? kick ass of any Trioplan I saw many beautiful examples on FB , taken with this longer focal length Petzval.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Honestly, I've seen maybe a handful of good Trioplan pics out of hundreds upon hundreds of garbage ones.

That must refer to me Very Happy

Thank you! Very Happy Very Happy

I agree that it should be waaaaaaay cheaper.

Actually, I think you posted one of palm fronds that I thought was great. Smile