Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fast 85mm range lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they're not - EF version has more elements (perhaps due to autofocus?).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, they are different. A surprise. Since the 50/1.4 FD and EF are the same (7 elements / 6 groups) I assumed the 85's would be as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. The Olympus OM 85/2 costs way more than the Pentax 85/1.9, which in turn costs more than the Canon EF 85/1.8 !!

So fond memories of manual focusing aside, I think my sanest option for a lens I will actually use a lot, is the EF 85/1.8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't refuse AF lens, the EF 85 1.8 should be your best opinion. It is relatively cheaper than the new Canon primes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The build quality (or lack of it) has to be taken into account when considering a modern Canon lens. If you want a lens to last for many years of good service, don't buy a modern Canon, the quality is shocking, disposable grade almost.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For best value, Samyang 85 1.4.
For AF, EF 85 1.8.
For durability, get the old metal ones.
For fun, get the Mitakon 85 2.

For me, I go for the these two. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not fast but very good lens for a very good price : the Volna-3B 2.8/80mm MC.
It's a P6 mount, so made for medium format. It's very good on Canon Full format like the 5D Mark II.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the Pentax 85/1.8 K or M42 Mount

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/Super-Multi-Coated-TAKUMAR-Auto-Takumar-85mm-F1.8.html

RemcoR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, in terms of build quality.. I agree that modern Canon lenses can have poor build quality particularly at the consumer end.

But the older ones (and the 85/1.8 is one of the older ones) are pretty decent. I have this circa-1990's almost all-metal, tank-like 300mm f/4L (non-IS) which gives up nothing to these old manual focus lenses.

I used to own the EF 85/1.8 and while it's not up to L class, it's pretty OK.

While on the topic of the Volna 3, has anyone used the Mamiya 80mm f/2.8 for 645 mount? used prices are in the same range or even lower than the Volna 3.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For ~85mm on EF mount, I'd look at Nikkor 85's, Contax, CZJ, Pentax/Takumar, Leica R, Jupiter 9, OM, Helios 40...
My faves: Leica 90, Topcor 85(that Calvin posted), Pentax/Takumar, FD 85L, Konica AR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orly_andico wrote:
While on the topic of the Volna 3, has anyone used the Mamiya 80mm f/2.8 for 645 mount? used prices are in the same range or even lower than the Volna 3.

Search in the forum returns some nice topics :
Member Kei : very good results on Nikon D810
http://forum.mflenses.com/mamiya-sekor-80mm-f2-8-t70778,highlight,%2Bmamiya+%2B80mm.html
Member tri911 on Canon 5D MkII : very nice too.
http://forum.mflenses.com/mamiya-80mm-f2-8-c-t45027,highlight,%2Bmamiya+%2B80mm.html

It seems to be a very good lens.

Beware : don't forget to look at the adapters' prices.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orly_andico wrote:
might indeed end up with the EF 85/1.8 - i think it is optically identical to the FD 85/1.8

Probably the same price as a FD85/1,8+nex3 SH (wich is aps-c if that matters for you)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the rolleinar 85 2.8 which I used one of the "replace the mount" type adapters on. It is nice. I think those were made by mamiya? I paid a little over a 100 usd for it. 85 is a tough FL to find good glass for at reasonable prices. I have a Oly 100 2.8 and a topcor 100 2.8 that are both super nice to use and take great photos. I sold my 60D though recently and have gone to the dark side (A7ii). I will put the bayonet back on the rollei as soon as I get the proper adapter for it. As far as the "the good times" since I just bought the A7 they are now restarting!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James is right about it being tough to find a good 85mm for a good price. My first inclination would be to go for a Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 or f/2. You can find the latter on eBay for less than $200US. If you can put up with another 20mm of focal length, then you can pick and choose from all the Nikkor 105/2.5s available, many of which are substantially cheaper than $200US.

I don't happen to own a Nikkor 85mm, but I do own a 105/2.5 and I love it for portraits. I also like 135mm for portraits too. A lot. It gives you a bit more compression, which can be a good thing, plus there's more working distance between you and the subject, which often puts the subject more at ease. 135/2's and 135/1.8's are not cheap, but 135/2.8s are and they are extremely common, so you can save quite a bit if you go that route.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I can live with a 105mm.

It's too close to 135mm. And I have a lot of those (well, four), including the Canon 135mm f/2, which is what I used to drool about when all I had was a Pentacon. Embarassed

Actually of my 135mm's, the best by far is the Canon - it's big, it's fast, it autofocuses silently and quickly, and it has really nice bokeh. The CZJ Sonnar is also pretty good and has a similar color cast to the Canon.

IMHO the Pentacon is overrated, although I don't have the multi-blade preset version "bokeh monster" - it's soft wide open even in the center, and doesn't sharpen up appreciably till f/5.6. The CZJ is sharp at f/3.5 - and almost matches the big Canon at f/4.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orly_andico, have you already looked at this option?

http://forum.mflenses.com/new-cheap-chinese-opteka-85-1-8-t62887,start,15.html#1442437

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Vivitar brand 85mm f/1.8 Aspherical available new on eBay for about $100. MF only. The example photos look decent. See it here:

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
There is a Vivitar brand 85mm f/1.8 Aspherical available new on eBay for about $100. MF only. The example photos look decent. See it here:

This is the same lens as the Opteka 85/1.8.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentacon six mount Biometar 80mm is a lovely creamy bokeh lens and still affordable.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Yeah, this is what I figured, and probably other brands too, like Rokinon. It is probably also not a very sturdy lens, and will require delicate handling just so it might last a while. But the images I saw at that auction and also on the web when I was googling it looked good, so it might be worth it as a cheap alternative.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1960s single coated CZJ Biometar 2.8/80 on Sony a850. Lens cost me 24ukp plus shipping from Norway.

Thomas insists these old eastern Zeiss are junk you shouldn't pay more than 5eu for from the flea market, but I can tell you that this Biometar has silky smooth focus and a perfectly functioning aperture and has never been serviced. Build quality and materials make the modern cheap alternatives look like cheap plastic toys. This Biometar is still going strong after half a century, it will serve me the rest of my life most likely, making it quite a bargain.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Yeah, this is what I figured, and probably other brands too, like Rokinon. It is probably also not a very sturdy lens, and will require delicate handling just so it might last a while. But the images I saw at that auction and also on the web when I was googling it looked good, so it might be worth it as a cheap alternative.

$99 is less than the price sold in China(it cost 650 RMB and the Mitakon 85/2 cost 850 RMB). It may be a good choice for those who use it occasionally but not for anyone who need a reliable work horse.

If you ask me, I would rather to get an old Nikkor 85 1.8/2 for ~$100-$120 in eBay from US/Japan if you can wait for a month or two.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Definitely NOT the Rokinon. The Rokinon is a re-branded Samyang. Korean, not Chinese, and a good quality, solid lens that performs well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Thomas insists these old eastern Zeiss are junk you shouldn't pay more than 5eu for from the flea market,

Why don't you stop to tell such nonsense?

Once again. Maybe even you are able to understand it sometimes correctly if I repeat it once more. I think all others have understood my message as it was meant:

I stated that according to my own experience the mechanical quality of those lenses is below W. German and Japanese standards and that some years ago you have been able to get those lenses for almost nothing on the fleamarkets in Austria and that this times are obviously gone. Especially the type of lubricant used can easily lead to stuck apertures or stuck focusing helicoids. I even read somewhere in a German forum that the likelihood that if such a lens is exposed to higher temperatures (typically when the lens is left behind in a parked car under direct sun light in summer) is rather high that the lubricant changes it's viscosity which was stated as one of the reasons for that typical problem. I don't know if that is really true but it sounds somehow logical to me. Almost all my GDR lenses suffer from that, although I barely leave my equipment in a parked car or heat it otherwise. I never bought any of those lenses new, so I am unfortunately not able to reconstruct the whole history of every lens I have.
On the other hand there are some people who don't have those problems. So it may be a matter of luck, or even any pre-owner had serviced the lens already and used a better lubricant or (if above theory is correct) the lens was never exposed to higher temperatures. I don't really know and it's not important for me as I won't pay more than a few bucks for such a lens, if at all. This attitude may change if I know for 100% that the lens was already serviced and I will get a kind of guarantee for that. Otherwise the risk to get another dead duck is simply too high for me and I prefer to use and not to repair or service lenses.
I never said anything negative about the optical quality, except for the Pentacon/Meyer 50/1.8 lens which I have from an old Praktica camera and this lens is objectively compared to any other lens I have in this class simply bad and unsharp. However, there are some bokeh lovers that like this lens for it's typical "failures" and if somebody want to produce some art like pictures this lens may have some strenghts. But that is purely a matter of taste and nothing else.
This reflects my personal experience over the last 40 years of photography.
Other people may have other experiences or opinions. I don't really care and I had never any problem if somebody else came for any reason to a different conclusion. Everybody is free to like or use whatever suits the personal preferences and of course everybody is free to pay whatever is considered to be appropriate for such a lens. So do I.

I also don't care what you are believing or not or if you like or dislike any lens for any reason. But I do care if somebody like you spreads lies around about things I've never said.

May I kindly ask you once more to stop your lies?
Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need both a sense of humour and some humility. Jeez. Rolling Eyes