Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Reverse Mounting Zeiss MP 60/2.8 C to Canon EOS Adapter?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: Reverse Mounting Zeiss MP 60/2.8 C to Canon EOS Adapter? Reply with quote

Looking for a reversal ring adapter for my Zeiss Makro-Planar 60/2.8 C. 55mm filter thread to Canon EOS, but I do not see any 55mm adapters on ebay, just 52mm, 58mm. Anyone done this? I'll be mounting it on a 60D.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cameras-Photography-/625/i.html?_fcid=1&_fln=1&_sop=10&_adv=1&_dmd=1&_catref=1&_ssov=1&_clu=2&gbr=1&_from=R40&_nkw=55mm+reverse+ring+eos&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cameras-Photography-/625/i.html?_fcid=1&_fln=1&_sop=10&_adv=1&_dmd=1&_catref=1&_ssov=1&_clu=2&gbr=1&_from=R40&_nkw=55mm+reverse+ring+eos&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=2

Thank you, Calvin!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why?? It is already optimised for macro use....

Need it for infinity??

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

Need it for infinity??

I know you are the one to ask, Klaus. I want to increase magnification. I have three extension tubes 13, 20, and 27mm. Would I be able to get closer with a reversing ring than all three tubes stacked?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Need it for infinity??

I know you are the one to ask, Klaus. I want to increase magnification. I have three extension tubes 13, 20, and 27mm. Would I be able to get closer with a reversing ring than all three tubes stacked?

Add a tube at the end or a focusing helicoid. But it costs your exposure (i.e. considerable increase in exposure time)

OR, add a good (7 element) 2x teleconverter to teh back of the lens, giving you double the magnification

OR, add a suitable diopter to the lens front which has the enormous benefit of not costing you exposure stops (the tube does!). The RAYNOX are the ones to choose, achromatic and not too expensive.

Or, if that is not powerful enough, stack a reversed lens to the front of the main taking lens hence acting as a diopter lens. The magnification achieved then is focal length (main taking lens) / focal lenght (diopter lens) (prone to vignetting though, only works with selected lens combinations)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When first read the subject I was thinking in the last mentioned option (lens stacking) referred by Klaus, but then noticed you probably just wanted to reverse it ALONE on your eos camera!

Not sure what you want achieve but if is for high magnification these are my findings (correct me if needed):

1. LENS REVERSE
Usually, a zoom lens is a good choice. The 18-55 kit lens reversed gets the best magnification at 18mm (aprox 3x or 3:1). A recent movie (I origins) the character uses the lens reversed to photograph the eye iris...
A prime lens also can be reversed but the widers got the best magnification. A 28mm gives about 2x and a 20mm about 3x. 50mm is about 1x...
So, your 60mm reversed on its own will not be a good benefit over the 1:2 when not reversed

2. DIOPTER LENS
Maybe a good choice for you because will not cost exposure stops.
Note: a tele lens will give you better magnification.

3. LENS STACKING (Using coupling ring)
You use 2 lenses to get the "needed" magnification and bound them by a coupling ring... I decided this way and ordered some coupling rings as per my needs, but yet did have time to play.. LOL
For example you take a c/y Sonnar 180mm f/2.8 (filter size 72mm) + coupling ring 72/55 + your c/y planar 60mm 2.8 reversed (filter size 55mm) ang you will got a 3X magnification... I do have a Tomioka 60mm macro and bought the coupling ring to use with the sonnar and get 3x, but yet no time to test.

Here is a link with some good TIPS for stacking lenses: http://www.school-of-digital-photography.com/2013/11/stacking-lenses-with-coupling-rings-for-extreme-macro-photography.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW a small tool to check some combinations of stacking lens
http://1drv.ms/1IwQsEg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge thanks to Klaus and vlousada for the valuable info! Will look into all of that. I've never stacked images [EDIT: lenses, that is. I have stacked images before the term existed].

Last edited by Kram on Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram wrote:
Huge thanks to Klaus and vlousada for the valuable info! Will look into all of that. I've never stacked images before.

Welcome, but it is about stacking lenses, not images. The latter is a different technique (that you could do with stacked lenses, too) Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woops! I mean stacked lenses, not images.

Here's a stacked image, not made with stacked lenses, but as Klaus says, that's a possibility!

15 images stacked.

Last edited by Kram on Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an excellent photo, Mark!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Mark, very well done!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram wrote:
Woops! I mean stacked lenses, not images.

Here's a stacked image, not made with stacked lenses, but as Klaus says, that's a possibility!

Very impressive indeed. How many images?

Edit: Oops, I've seen it now already. 15 pics. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is wonderful Mark, well done!

I like stacking images too, recently I've been trying it out in the field for close ups, seems to work well. Here's an example, first images is a single exposure, second is 16 images stacked. I used a Rodenstock Magnagon 5.6/75 on a set of M39 Russian bellows: