Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Unknown Schneider Kreuznach Xenon 25/1.4 lens with C mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Unknown Schneider Kreuznach Xenon 25/1.4 lens with C mount Reply with quote

Dear all,

I have been following you great forum for a while and decided to post here for the first time.
I recently bought a Schneider Kreuznach Xenon 25/1.4 lens with C mount with the intention to adapt to my M4/3 camera.
However the lens I found on ebay was not a typical C mount camera lens! The bayonet in the rear is C mount (I can screw it to the reverse of the adapter),
but there is a ring that does not allow the lens to go all the way in the adapter! Another strange thing with this lens is that the aperture can close all the way!!
Someone told me that this is probably a lens that was used to develop or magnify negatives.
When I try to take photos holding the lens near the sensor, I get almost full coverage with minimal vignetting.

I am attaching some photos of the lens. Excuse the bad quality but they were taken with my mobile phone because I do not own another camera at the moment.
Any input will be greatly appreciated. I would like to know if I can modify this lens in order to fit the adapter of if there is some other kind of adapter I could use.

Thank you in advance,
George

Last edited by georgios on Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:20 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown Schneider Kreuznach Xenon 25/1.4 lens with C mou Reply with quote

georgios wrote:
Dear all,

I have been following you great forum for a while and decided to post here for the first time.
I recently bought a Schneider Kreuznach Xenon 25/1.4 lens with C mount with the intention to adapt to my M4/3 camera.
However the lens I found on ebay was not a typical C mount camera lens! The bayonet in the rear is C mount (I can screw it to the reverse of the adapter),
but there is a ring that does not allow the lens to go all the way in the adapter! Another strange thing with this lens is that the aperture can close all the way!!
Someone told me that this is probably a lens that was used to develop or magnify negatives.
When I try to take photos holding the lens near the sensor, I get almost full coverage with minimal vignetting.

I am attaching some photos of the lens. Excuse the bad quality but they were taken with my mobile phone because I do not own another camera at the moment.
Any input will be greatly appreciated. I would like to know if I can modify this lens in order to fit the adapter of if there is some other kind of adapter I could use.

Thank you in advance,
George

Hmmm

It appears possible that rear portion of the lens is held on only by those six screws which show clearly in your photo. Perhaps if you could remove that rear flange and take it to a machinist you might be able for small money to achieve a solution to your dilemma with not very much machining of the flange.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Guardian ,

I did think of removing these screws. In fact the black ring is what really causes trouble.
A machinist is a great idea. Does anybody know if I can find one in the Netherlands?

Thank you again,
have a nice weekend!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot old older lenses for video TV cameras allowed the iris to close completely
to prevent the vidicon tubes to burn in.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Klaus for the clarification.
Indeed, from my research it turns out thatenlargement lenses do not have a focusing ring, which is not the case here.
Therefore this is a really old and rare Schneider cine lens with non-standard C mount (??).

Anyhow, I unscrewed the 6 screws onthe basck side and this is what I got.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Geogre

Last edited by georgios on Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, OK.

Your additional photos are helpful. So it is the black ring causing the problem. Then my earlier post was off target. Perhaps you could find a different brand adapter with which the black ring would not interfere? Otherwise I dunno.

It might help to see your adapter since that is what appears to be causing your dilemma. Or possibly the adapter could be machined to facilitate things by relieving the interference.

Looking at your new photos, I no longer think machining of the lens itself would be appropriate.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot of all the help!
@Guardian I am adding some more photos. Looks like that even the nickel ring cannot fit into the adapter's circular area.
When I screw the bayonet on the back side of the adapter as you can see it fits well!
So maybe the adapter is not fit for the job. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of adapter i could buy, or a way to make a #D model
and then have it printed?
Also any info on machining services in the Netherlands will be very much appreciated.

Regards,
George

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me, but why would you think this c-mount is "non-standard"?
Just because it does not fit "some" modern c-mount adapter?? What's
non standard is the modern adapters, NOT the c-mount! No one had problems
using this lens then....and btw. what is "standard"?? Maybe you want to
read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_mount to understand
what the "c-mount standard" is. A certain flange-focal distance and a
certain special thread mount, that is (was) all making up the c-mount
"standard" .... sorry, I'm a bit sensitive as an engineer and it ticks me off
if a cheap chinese adapter is being used as "the standard" which some well
made lenses have to match to.... 180 degrees wrong Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry Klaus for the wrong wording,
I read the wikipedia page, and I understand that semantics are important in engineering.
So, the correct phrasing would be that this is in fact a standard c mount thread but the base of the lens is too wide to fit in the recess of an adapter made
some decades afterwards. If I had a camera with a standard C mount it would fit.

Regarding the adapter, it was not that cheap (30 Euro) I bought it from a local
store and I hoped it would be better than the ebay Chinese adapters.

Anyways, no need for controversy here, in my enthousiasm trying to use an old glass on a new camera I inverted the logic.

Any help with this task would be appreciated.

thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought. Is it possible the silver ring that you have now removed was someones elses earlier adaption .I couldnt help noticing the Outer ring of holes on the rear of the lens itself.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my goodness that seems a great deal of money for a C-mount to m4/3 adapter!!

I own only one such adapter, but I can ASSURE you I paid nowhere near that much money for mine. Of course, as most of us do, I ordered my adapter from China, or Hong Kong, and I had to wait for delivery. Such a wait is routine.

Anyway, take a look at the Chinese adapters. Perhaps you will be able to find one that will work straightaway, or is inexpensive enough to where you can afford to purchase and then modify it.

It's a troubling day when adapters cost as much or more than lenses . . at least many of the ones I buy!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: http://www.pigment-print.com/Fotografica/Xenon%2050%20f2%20C Reply with quote

georgios wrote:
Thank you Guardian ,

I did think of removing these screws. In fact the black ring is what really causes trouble.
A machinist is a great idea. Does anybody know if I can find one in the Netherlands?

Thank you again,
have a nice weekend!

The lens is probably used in an industrial environment for production inspection. Videotube as the recording medium. I have some 50mm 2.0 Xenons that have the 25mm C-mount thread, the geared rings for aperture/focus and a 4 blade aperture that can close totally. The last needed for the videotube as I understand it. Internally the total closure can be changed though if there is no need for it. Schneider made lenses in total where I guess your Xenon got an adaption by the company that needed it. If it could not focus at infinity that was less a problem for its proposed use at a production line. My lenses came from a Philips Company auction about 30 years ago and I got a chance to use them about 5 years ago when mounted on an Olympus E-PL1 with a C-mount adapter. Very nice lens for portraits etc despite the 4 blades aperture.

http://www.pigment-print.com/Fotografica/Xenon%2050%20f2%20C-mount/target1.html

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
February 2017 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots