Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jammed Spotmatic?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah101 wrote:
Hey I think this is exactly whats happening to my Pentax Spotmatic right now!
Just what do you mean by 'Remove the bottom plate', does this mean to actually screw off the silver bottom?
It might seem like a stupid question, but im asking it.
Thanks Rolling Eyes

Hello Sarah. Yes, you have to remove the silver cover plate on the bottom of the camera. It's a very simple job, don't worry. Depending on which model camera, you'll need either a flat blade or a Phillips type screwdriver - the screws were changed from slotted to cross-head type from the SPII onwards. There is a screw near each end of the cover and either one or two smaller screws near the tripod socket.

I originally posted a picture of the camera base in the first post in this thread, but I was silly enough to delete it from my webspace storage without keeping a copy. I will make another picture for you, tomorrow if I can, so please keep checking back. Which model camera do you have?

Peter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I'd appreciate it. I tried getting the bottom off, but I dont seem to have a screw driver that small!!
Lol me and my family tried everything, so I guess I'll just have to go out and find one. Anyway, its just a Pentax spotmatic, nothing else.
I really think this is why my camera is jammed!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah101 wrote:
Thanks I'd appreciate it. I tried getting the bottom off, but I dont seem to have a screw driver that small!!
Lol me and my family tried everything, so I guess I'll just have to go out and find one. Anyway, its just a Pentax spotmatic, nothing else.
I really think this is why my camera is jammed!

Sarah, the picture is back (in the first post in the thread). I used an SPII, which has four cross-head screws fixing the bottom plate, but if your camera is an SP it will have only one screw next to the tripod socket, not two as in the picture, and the screws will be a plain slotted type. You need a fine jeweller's type screwdriver with about a 2mm blade. You may find the blade is too thick to fit in the fine slots, so it may need to be ground down a little.

(PS - The model of the camera is engraved on the top cover between the prism and the rewind knob - SP, SPII, SPF etc.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb thread Cool

...twenty years too late Evil or Very Mad

Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read this thread and got so happy! I removed the bottom and pushed the little thing just as you said and I was able to take one shot... but now I can't seem to wind the film... Any clue what the problem might be? Not to good with these oldies, maby I pressed something in my desperation before reading this thread? I have a Spotmatic SP looks slightly different... I could post a picture if that would help.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the shutter fire?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A picture would certainly help. I'm aware there are different SP versions, but I think the basic mechanics are all similar. The film-advance lock is released when the mirror descends after the 2nd shutter curtain closes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use this trick with last SPII bought Cool
Now I resolve only the sticky mirror problem. I remember a topic about this, it's correct?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sticky mirror is usually the strip of foam that the mirror hits when it flicks up, it degrades into a sticky goo - as do the film door light seals. They aren't hard to change and there are a few posts on the forum showing how it's done.

I un-jammed a Spotmatic last week, using these instructions, for the local charity shop so they could sell it. I put light seals in as well and made a very nice camera out of a doorstop.
It's wonderful to have these instructions from people who have done these jobs, un-jamming the camera isn't a difficult thing to do - once you can see what to do.

http://forum.mflenses.com/light-seal-replacing-the-alternative-way-t51335.html

I did a tutorial on changing the light seals a while back -

But there are others as well
I didn't mention changing the mirror bumper, but it's not difficult. The hardest part is cleaning the sticky from the camera, I use tweezers to pull as much foam off as possible, then use a cocktail stick, bit of plastic or bamboo, to scrape as much of the old glue backing off as possible. I don't use any solvent here for fear of it dripping on the mirror or focusing screen, so often I end up leaving a bit of sticky in place rather than risk damage - the new foam will stick over the top ok.
Cut the foam to size, ( I use the same foam as I use for the film door seals ) remove the backing paper, then I lightly lick the glue surface. This allows the foam to slide a bit when you place it into position, and when the moisture dries the foam is firmly in place.
And that's about it, as long as you're careful with the mirror and screen it's not hard to do,

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I know this tread is old but I would like to thank Peter. Just bought a Pentax ES that was jammed and was able to fix it following the instructions and the pictures Peter provided.

So, thank you Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, like ventrikolo I am having issues as well. My Spotmatic SP's internals look slightly different... I have attached a photo showing the internals.

Its a shame because its my first film camera... It looks superb and worked like a charm as well. Both the meter and the shutter worked fine, right up until the moment I loaded my first rol of film...

After cocking and firing the shutter became stuck.

Following the instructions I slided the lever up, I could hear the shutter snapping into place. I tried pulling the cocking lever one stop (how does one call moving the film to the next slid?) however it is stuck. There's literally no moment possible. I've tried pulling on some stuff but there appears to be no possible way of moving anything.

What would you guys recommend?

Edit: For some reason the image above does not appear to be working correctly and I am not able to post a link it simply does not show up...
forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20148/8409_Spotmatic_1.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stiruam wrote:
Hey guys, like ventrikolo I am having issues as well. My Spotmatic SP's internals look slightly different... I have attached a photo showing the internals.

Its a shame because its my first film camera... It looks superb and worked like a charm as well. Both the meter and the shutter worked fine, right up until the moment I loaded my first rol of film...

After cocking and firing the shutter became stuck.

Following the instructions I slided the lever up, I could hear the shutter snapping into place. I tried pulling the cocking lever one stop (how does one call moving the film to the next slid?) however it is stuck. There's literally no moment possible. I've tried pulling on some stuff but there appears to be no possible way of moving anything.

What would you guys recommend?

Edit: For some reason the image above does not appear to be working correctly and I am not able to post a link it simply does not show up...
forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20148/8409_Spotmatic_1.jpg

pics should show now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: My Spotmatic SP are jammed but look different Reply with quote

Hey,

So, I realize my last response was a long time ago. But I've been moving a lot and haven't had the time to pick up my old hobbies until now. So my winder is jammed as well but it looks a bit different compared to other cameras making me wonder if it might have been repaired before where they changed parts.

One thing that confuses me is that the shutter works if I pull my spring lever in the opposite direction compared to all tutorials.

When a try pulling the wind lever it becomes obvious that something is stuck since the cogs to the left only budge a millimetre or two.

Any ideas? As you can see there's a picture of my cameras interior but also a link to a movie with the movement of the cogs when I try to wind the lever.

Cheers

https://goo.gl/photos/1YqHRb2Mq13zfiFfA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Spotmatic Reply with quote

Hi there,

Does anyone know anything about the small white washer / spacer that I keep seeing under the film release button? Looked at quite a few photos on this forum of the underside mechanics of the Spotmatic.
My film release button is permanently depressed and it will not pop back out under any circumstances. I do not have this spacer/washer under he button. Is that the problem?
The camera has now also jammed and any amount of fiddling with the mechanism under the baseplate (as per forum guidelines) makes no difference.

Any help/sympathy greatly appreciated

Ian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Spotmatic Reply with quote

Hi there,

Does anyone know anything about the small white washer / spacer that I keep seeing under the film release button? Looked at quite a few photos on this forum of the underside mechanics of the Spotmatic.
My film release button is permanently depressed and it will not pop back out under any circumstances. I do not have this spacer/washer under he button. Is that the problem?
The camera has now also jammed and any amount of fiddling with the mechanism under the baseplate (as per forum guidelines) makes no difference.

Ian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Spotmatic Reply with quote

Thomas wrote:
Hi there,

Ian

I think so, it's been a long time since I had the bottom plate off an old Pentax but I seem to remember a small white plastic spacer that was easy to lose - and essential.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Spotmatic Reply with quote

Thomas wrote:
Hi there,

Ian

Just buy a working one - they can be had pretty much for the price of shipping.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the advice on unsticking the mirror. It worked, but in my case the problem kept recurring until I placed a drop of oil between the large black cog and the flat part of the long lever that ends beneath it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone
I have question which in a way is related with current topic.

Recently I've bought Spotmatic camera body (SP). It looks like new and it seems to work properly - with one exception. It is about the lightmeter - I wonder if anyone can help me because I'm a little confused.

On one hand, user manual says (on page 7, step 4) that in order to turn lightmeter on, one should "push up the switch button" and "when the shutter is released, the meter switch will automatically turn off", and in step 6 it says: "be sure to turn off the meter's switch when not actually taking readings". The last statement suggests that the lightmeter can be switched off in other way than described in step 4.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1220203/Honeywell-Pentax-Spotmatic.html
On the other hand manual pusching the switch down is considered to be most frequent cause of breaking the lightmeter. I'm not sure if it is true or what exactly does it mean - I've heard it from an experienced photographer and I have no reason not to believe him.

My confusion comes from that, in my Spotmatic when shutter is released the lightmeter doesn't switch off automatically (Can it be easily fixed?). It wouldn't be a problem if I was sure that I'm allowed to switch lightmeter off manually.
I wonder what yours experience is? Can the lightmeter be switched off manually?

PS
Of course I've inserted into the camera a new battery (SR936SW) with a ring spacer and the lightmeter's nedle moves up and down (to plus and minus) properly as I change shutter speed and rotate diaphragm ring. But since I had to switch lightmeter manually I did it only once.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah101 wrote:
Hey I think this is exactly whats happening to my Pentax Spotmatic right now!
Just what do you mean by 'Remove the bottom plate', does this mean to actually screw off the silver bottom?
It might seem like a stupid question, but im asking it.
Thanks Rolling Eyes

Yes that is exactly it. Take the 2 screws i the center and the 2 in the ends and make sure to note which one is which.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipping the switch up and down by hand is a common problem due to lack of lubrication in the Spotmatics (a.k.a old age)
I had to do it for years until I had the camera serviced and now it does it automatically.
It doesn't break anything to do it by hand; I think the engineers were conscious that in many cases you look at the pic, compose, meter light, and then decided to not take it.

gleitmo wrote:
Hello everyone
I have question which in a way is related with current topic.

Recently I've bought Spotmatic camera body (SP). It looks like new and it seems to work properly - with one exception. It is about the lightmeter - I wonder if anyone can help me because I'm a little confused.

On one hand, user manual says (on page 7, step 4) that in order to turn lightmeter on, one should "push up the switch button" and "when the shutter is released, the meter switch will automatically turn off", and in step 6 it says: "be sure to turn off the meter's switch when not actually taking readings". The last statement suggests that the lightmeter can be switched off in other way than described in step 4.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1220203/Honeywell-Pentax-Spotmatic.html
On the other hand manual pusching the switch down is considered to be most frequent cause of breaking the lightmeter. I'm not sure if it is true or what exactly does it mean - I've heard it from an experienced photographer and I have no reason not to believe him.

My confusion comes from that, in my Spotmatic when shutter is released the lightmeter doesn't switch off automatically (Can it be easily fixed?). It wouldn't be a problem if I was sure that I'm allowed to switch lightmeter off manually.
I wonder what yours experience is? Can the lightmeter be switched off manually?

PS
Of course I've inserted into the camera a new battery (SR936SW) with a ring spacer and the lightmeter's nedle moves up and down (to plus and minus) properly as I change shutter speed and rotate diaphragm ring. But since I had to switch lightmeter manually I did it only once.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titrisol70 wrote:
Flipping the switch up and down by hand is a common problem due to lack of lubrication in the Spotmatics (a.k.a old age)
I had to do it for years until I had the camera serviced and now it does it automatically.
It doesn't break anything to do it by hand; I think the engineers were conscious that in many cases you look at the pic, compose, meter light, and then decided to not take it.

That sounds reasonable.
The camera is old and it seems that I should think about the service.
Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone Smile

Long time no see

Just a quick thanks to this thread, my Spotmatic started playing up, now she's sweet again

Legends Smile