Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meta 35 pulls metadata,. But what exactly
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Meta 35 pulls metadata,. But what exactly Reply with quote

Dear all,
I have found the following
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4618196547/meta35-pulls-metadata-from-film-cameras
but what really you get from such a system? What type of metadata you can get and how these are considered as useful?

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several high end film cameras can store data such as aperture, shutter speed, ISO, ETC. I have a Minolta Maxxum 7 which stores data for up to 7 rolls of film. Minolta made a device, DS-100, which fits the lens mount to read and store the data to a 'smart memory' card. The data then could be downloaded to a PC into a spreadsheet.

Showing the data that can be read in the camera screen.

Phil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.. but how you associate that data with that specific frame in your roll?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am only familiar with the Maxxum 7 camera.

The camera software assigns and prints a roll number on the first frame.

The data is saved in the camera memory and can be manually read then input to a spreadsheet or metadata for scanned images. I can imagine that job would be tedious.

Phil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's exif4film app for android devices and standalone windows app for uploading data to photos' metadata.
The trick will be to convert spreadhsheat delivered by Maxxum 7 camera into way exif4film windows app can read and after that it's matter of a few clicks.

I've used this application a lot when I was testing camera/film/lens or if I needed to store film exif data or GPS data. Android app is very well thought over - first you make database of your cameras and lenses. Later, when you start a new roll, you select type of film, ISO and camera for whole roll and on every frame you could select lens (from database you have made before) aperture, speed, compensation, filters, description and so on. Also GPS location is being saved for each frame individually. Quite capable application and very quick and easy to use in the field.
You could have a few cameras and rolls started in app at the same time.
When you scan developed roll you could upload data stored in the app to the standalone windows app and after another click, every data saved within application is transfered to EXIF and IPTC of your files frame by frame.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking of getting a Maxxum DS-100 for some time. I saw a reasonably priced unit on EBAY and it is on the way. Hopefully everything will work and I can make time for a walk around to shoot a roll or two of film. I will report on the results.

Phil