Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help removing this adapter (or tube), and identifying it too
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Help removing this adapter (or tube), and identifying it too Reply with quote

Hello all,

Today I received a Cosina 24/2.8 lens in Nikon mount that I had found on ebay. The photos of the listing showed some sort of adapter (or tube) mounted on the lens, which I figured I'd remove when the lens arrived so I could enjoy the lens on my D700. Problem is, I can't remove this gizmo, and I don't want to force things and end up damaging any of the rings in the process.

There are no markings or release button on the gizmo.

Any ideas what this adapter/tube could be? Any suggestions regarding removal?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly an adapter for a video system or something like that, with a short register hence a fairly long tube is needed for this SLR lens.

I suspect the locking mechanism is something you can see from the rear, as you are showing. I see some little slots there, maybe for a spanner.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look like a classic "macro" extension tube to me, just turn it clockwise! (not counter clockwise) it's an AI-s adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20Bbl wrote:
Look like a classic "macro" extension tube to me, just turn it clockwise! (not counter clockwise) it's an AI-s adapter.

+1 Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20Bbl wrote:

Not sure, if that will work as I can see the lens' bayonet free from any engagement

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need more pictures from the inside, there may be a lever that is engaged into the locking pin spot on the lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exaklaus wrote:
20Bbl wrote:

Not sure, if that will work as I can see the lens' bayonet free from any engagement

You may be right, in that case the last owner probably slipped the extension tube (intermediary one?) over the mount itself and somehow got stuck?. A vertical pull with a "wiggle" will probably help? . I'm sure he figured it out already Wink.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20Bbl wrote:

Turning clockwise did the trick, thank you! I'm a happy camper right now!

That being said, one side of the extension tube mounts on the Nikon Ai lens. And the other? It's a screw mount, about 59mm (2.3 inches) in diameter.

Thank you everybody for your help, by the way!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisible wrote:
20Bbl wrote:

That being said, one side of the extension tube mounts on the Nikon Ai lens. And the other? It's a screw mount, about 59mm (2.3 inches) in diameter.

Good news, glad it helped. About the extension tube it look like it has been forced in place, you can try the "freezer" trick to remove it, put it 20min or so in your freezer, take it out and pull vertically on the tube. You can also try with some hot water.

Good luck. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20Bbl wrote:
invisible wrote:
20Bbl wrote:

Good news, glad it helped. About the extension tube it look like it has been forced in place, you can try the "freezer" trick to remove it, put it 20min or so in your freezer, take it out and pull vertically on the tube. You can also try with some hot water.

Good luck. Wink

Haha, what a neat trick Smile I'll keep it in mind for future reference.