Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Uploading photos, a stupid question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Uploading photos, a stupid question Reply with quote

I am a follower for the forum for long time, I recently decided that my photos may be decent enough to contribute I have Mac and occasionally use pc, I struggled very much to upload pictures, is it a must to resize jpegs, and how
Is there a dumb-proof guide for that
Thanks
Badr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How you might crop and resize your pics depends on how you want to present them and the nature of the pic. Personally it seems to me that around xga (ie 1024 x 786 pixels) is a pretty appropriate image size to cover the range of monitors that people might be using and avoid any need to scroll, be of a pretty quick upload/download size, yet large enough to display the pic.
I use faststone, a free download image viewer with a solid set of editing tools (though I will normally " PP" my image in lightroom which has a more sophisticated suite of image processing tools).
In faststone I'll crop, resize to the size I want, sharpen a little bit (resizing down makes the image softer so that's to compensate), then save the mage to upload usually under a new name like image-xga.jpg. I'll normally drop the jpg compression 10 points or so from best quality 98 to 88 (done with one click on the slider in faststone) to reduce the upload size. For best quality I upload to the server I use for my web site rather than using the [upload picture] box on mflenses and write in the bbcode to link the pic in like this:

Code:
[img]http://mywebsite.co.uk/images/image.jpg[/img]

You can also link to pics you have put on flickr, picasa...

This will display the image. This tends to be more sure because most forum servers will apply some compression or even resizing, particularly to larger images.

Learning to use programs like faststone is not difficult and there's always videos and other stuff online just google...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Uploading photos, a stupid question Reply with quote

Badr12 wrote:
I am a follower for the forum for long time, I recently decided that my photos may be decent enough to contribute I have Mac and occasionally use pc, I struggled very much to upload pictures, is it a must to resize jpegs, and how
Is there a dumb-proof guide for that
Thanks
Badr

i use Flickr to upload photos i deemed good enough to show, and from there i use link to the photo to put in my posts here. i rarely use uploader here, usually if i want to post the photo of the lens or camera

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I link through flickr, fotki and others, I also upload directly. I don't resize them, the forum does that automatically to fit on the page, clicking on the image gives a full size rendition.

It's not absolutely necessary to resize.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thank you guys for the datailed responses

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come to find out there are no stupid questions at MFlenses forum. These guys rock : )

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:
I've come to find out there are no stupid questions at MFlenses forum. These guys rock : )

There are some stupid questions I've seen repeatably on so many photo forums, but hardly ever from posters who think their question may be stupid. They're normally stupid only in that they don't give enough (or even any) information to provide any sort of meaningful answer. An example might be a general what lens/camera should I get next without disclosing the sort of photography they wish to use it for (or their budget).

Posts like your's where the OP labels it as a potentially silly question usually show extra depths to what might have first have seemed basic, and are often worth a read.

Currently I tend to post via Flickr, but it seems to me they're steadily trying to drive of enthusiast photographers, who upload selectively in favor of anyone who will upload all their images. Their constant changes have made it so I can no longer access my images stored there from the PCs at work. I nearly always resize ALL my images before posting online. ~1000 pixels in the widest dimension is usually adequate for internet viewing, anything bigger only really helps for printing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject: Trying Flickr link Reply with quote

https://flic.kr/p/tvbaT2

My son
Got this lens recently, Sony NEX 3 ISO 200 1/400

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a nice mirror lens Smile

In Flickr there's a share option that allows you to Copy & paste BB code (in a range of sizes) into forums.
On most forums that displays as a photo of the size you selected whithout any need for people to follow links.
IIRC Flickrs own discussions section is the only place I've not been able to use BBcode for adding images on-line.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPreview doesn't handle BBcode at all, I upload full size images to Flickr, then people can see the full size image if they want, I find their quality of resizing to be good enough, if you want to control the resizing and final sharpening, then upload the shot as you intend to post it, then use the original link.
Some people worry about their image being stolen, I'm not that concerned at this point in time that I'm going to upload only small pictures or watermark them, though it's your right to do so, just keep in mind that it can effect the viewers experience, and if my only source of income was my pictures, I would likely limit the size and watermark them. Most of my pictures I post are for illustration of what the camera and/or lens can do, so full size is preferable.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the input, very useful