Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Planar 50/1.7 vs Asahi SMC Takumar 50/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Planar 50/1.7 vs Asahi SMC Takumar 50/1.4 Reply with quote

I was playing around with these two earlier. Both images were shot on a 5D MIII with same settings for both. Which one do you think looks better ?

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Takumar is probably yellowish . It is its usual disease. If you don't fix that in PP, it cannot be good.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does not suffer from that. The wall is actually painted yellow.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
The Takumar is probably yellowish . It is its usual disease. If you don't fix that in PP, it cannot be good.

You think it matters with AWB?

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me sharpness, is about the same, bokeh looks ever so slightly smoother on Tak. I think I prefer cooler tones of Planar, on the other hand Takumar does much better job painting the edges of blown highlights in the top right corner.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the slightly different colors (caused by AWB of camera or coating of lens) it is nearly impossible to judge about those lenses in the presented size with the chosen motive. So I would finally say that for this photo both lenses are more or less equal.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well . . . whatever the respective technical merits of the two, I much prefer the "look" of the shot from the Pentax lens.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Planar shines at infinity Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

Too bad my mind can't grasp infinity. Confused

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Too bad my mind can't grasp infinity. Confused

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yahvel wrote:

So what is the problem of your Zeiss Planar ? I mean wich such a difference in the colour rendition, one must be wrong.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
Yahvel wrote:

So what is the problem of your Zeiss Planar ? I mean wich such a difference in the colour rendition, one must be wrong.

I guess their is something wrong with my Planar.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
memetph wrote:

You think it matters with AWB?

I just checked with an SMC Tak 55mm which is slightly yellowish and an early Super Tak 55mm without Thorium which is even a bit cold. The AWB of my A7 had some work with the SMC : Parameters were far from daylight setting for this version. At the end , there is still a small difference. The AWB succeeded in my opinion.

I have two Yashinons 50 DX et DS-M . The DSM is really yellow ( more than the Tak) and the AWB has a hard job and never fills totally the gap.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at @2.8 you expect them yo be good, both, and they are great

wide opened it might be different story
p.s. MFD of 0.6m bugs me a lot on Planar
Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, given the size of the pics, they both look great to me. One's cool, one's warm.
The Tak (and the Yashinons mentioned above, as well) could be yellowed a bit by the Thorium, although you stated the SMC Tak isn't excessively yellowed.

For comparisions sake, I switch to Daylight and not AWB.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see some contrasty scenes... All Planars (Contax G, QBM, etc.) tend to be plagued with loads of really unpleasant purple CA. The Takumar features CA to some degree too, although it's much more cultivated (somehow pleasant greenish tones).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject: yellowish due to radioactivity and the cure Reply with quote

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Radioactive_lenses
its listed here
Lenses with elements made of contaminated glassEdit

Some lenses of the 1960s have elements made of glass sorts which include small traces of radioactive rare-earth elements. Sometimes this accidental radioactivity causes a significant yellowing of these lens elements. Some users of such lenses reported in camera blogs that they healed the yellowing by exposing these lenses to the ultraviolet light of the sun. The procedure needs several days of sunny weather to have a positive effect. Lens elements with such yellowing radioactive impurity are in the following lenses:

Minolta MC W. Rokkor-SI 1:2.5 28mm (early variant, before radioactive glass impurity could be banned)
Minolta MC Rokkor-PG 1:1.2 58mm (early variant, before radioactive glass impurity could be banned)

The healing of yellowing by sunlight is also reported for some lenses with thorium glass elements, for example for the Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 lens and the Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both plus 50/1.4 zeiss. will test all against eachother testing center and edge at 40m when i have new highprecision adapter by optixpcb.com with chip(bad adapter dont buy see other thread). i have three versions of crap adapters or not sharp at infinity(2). a) peleng8 with dandelion(CORRECTION: SHARP AT INFINITY but lens-locker which had to be bent inwards almost at every lens-change is finally broken) b) dslrexchange with screw, made especially for eos 5D and 5D MKII with larger mirrors. cannot be focussed to infinity... is quite good anyway-several 100m on certain lenses.
third one IS sharp at infinity but has crap lens-locker.....
btw: sigma 28/1.8 aspherical High Speed Wide is terribly sharp also in the corners wide open-tested on eos 1000D and compared to 28/2.8.
almost no CA. but i must retest, infinity is at 40m already with two adapters.....lens was showing 1.8m but in reality its 1.5m. peleng8-adapter is crap! see above.
i have found the right adapter-its focussing beyond infinity: K+F CONCEPT, . very thick lens-locker. perfekt fit.
see other thread