Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My latest acquisition + advice on prices.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: My latest acquisition + advice on prices. Reply with quote

I recently became the happy owner of a RE. Auto Topcor 1.8/58mm.
Here it is:

This brings my small topcor collection to 4 pieces, together with the 2.8/35, 2.8/100 and 3.5/135, and, since I find all of them excellent, I'm considering to expand the kit with a wider lens. So after a quick research, I think the 4/20mm could be the right one.
Casually, yesterday I spotted a neat 4/20 for sale at a local auction site, needless to say that I'm quite interested, but I'm not able to figure out what an ok price for that would be: the lens seems quite rare, I can't find any finished auctions on ebay and the used lens price guide here gives no results after 2011.
So, to anyone knowing something more about this lens, how good is that? And what would be a fair price (both for me and the seller) for it (very good condition with caps and hood) ?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a lovely collection there.
The 20mm RE Auto Topcors seem to command stratospheric prices - probably because of their rarity.
Here is one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1969-Topcon-Topcor-RE-20mm-1-4-20-4-Wide-Angle-Lens-Original-Hood-MINT-/151705598412?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23525bb9cc

It could be quite difficult to find one to complete your collection without paying quite a lot for it.
OH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very nice start to a nice collection. I can see why people love to collect Topcor lenses. I had no intention to start, but I have found myself having 4 RE Auto-Topcor lenses; a 200mm 5.6, a 58mm 1.8, and an absolute mint 58mm 1.4 with an original hood and as well as the rather rare 28mm 2.8. I am not sure If I should start a collection, or if I should help someone fulfill theirs and make some money on the side.

Good luck with the 20mm, sounds like if you do get a decent price on it that it will be quite a catch : )

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price of the 20mm varies a lot as it was only for about two thousand copies. Expect few hundred dollar for it even without the filter holder(mine does not comes with the holder). Performance wise it is pretty good on its days. You may refer to the thread earlier this year http://forum.mflenses.com/re-auto-topcor-20mm-f4-t70913.html .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
You have a lovely collection there.
The 20mm RE Auto Topcors seem to command stratospheric prices - probably because of their rarity.

It could be quite difficult to find one to complete your collection without paying quite a lot for it.
OH

Thanks.
That was my impression too: I saw that one for sale at 300 euros, which seems a good price based on what I remembered, but it's still quite some money for me, so I was asking.

StillSanj wrote:
That is a very nice start to a nice collection. I can see why people love to collect Topcor lenses. I had no intention to start, but I have found myself having 4 RE Auto-Topcor lenses; a 200mm 5.6, a 58mm 1.8, and an absolute mint 58mm 1.4 with an original hood and as well as the rather rare 28mm 2.8. I am not sure If I should start a collection, or if I should help someone fulfill theirs and make some money on the side.

Good luck with the 20mm, sounds like if you do get a decent price on it that it will be quite a catch : )

I'd love both the 1.4/58 and the 2.8/28 but I'd like to build a usable kit before starting a real collection, so I already have a normal, and the 28 is close to the 35, so I'd like to get a wider one first. The 25mm is intriguing too.

calvin83 wrote:
The price of the 20mm varies a lot as it was only for about two thousand copies. Expect few hundred dollar for it even without the filter holder(mine does not comes with the holder). Performance wise it is pretty good on its days. You may refer to the thread earlier this year http://forum.mflenses.com/re-auto-topcor-20mm-f4-t70913.html .

Thanks for the usual valuable information, Calvin.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Aanything -- I just took a look at your gear list. Geez! You've got a lot of glass! But just a quick scan revealed that you have "only" two 20mm's. But one of them is a CZJ Flectogon. Excuse me, but isn't that lens good enough to fulfill your requirements? (I'm assuming you use these and will also use your Topcons on your NEX)

Then again, I can understand why a collector such as yourself would want to add to your collection if it has a hole in it. But as for this local auction site you mentioned -- it's customary, I believe for an auction house to assign anticipated values to the items it will be auctioning off. So this should give you some indication as to what you might end up having to pay. Now, if they are not clued into the prices that these Topcor 20s go for these days, they may instead just use references to classic and vintage 20mm lenses in general -- like the classic 20mm f/3.5 UD pre-AI Nikkor, which usually sells for between $200 and $300 on places like eBay. Canon's FD 20mm and Minolta's MD 20mm sell for about the same. So anyway, I guess I'd go in there, hoping to spend between $200 and $300, and hoping there aren't any hardcore Topcon owners in the room. Of course, I'm thinking in USD, so please convert to your local currency as necessary.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Hey Aanything -- I just took a look at your gear list. Geez! You've got a lot of glass! But just a quick scan revealed that you have "only" two 20mm's. But one of them is a CZJ Flectogon. Excuse me, but isn't that lens good enough to fulfill your requirements? (I'm assuming you use these and will also use your Topcons on your NEX)

Well, yes, the flektogon gives me almost everything I want from a 20mm. But you know how these things go...

cooltouch wrote:
Then again, I can understand why a collector such as yourself would want to add to your collection if it has a hole in it. But as for this local auction site you mentioned -- it's customary, I believe for an auction house to assign an anticipated value to the items it will be auctioning off. So this should give you some indication as to what you might end up having to pay. Now, if they are not clued into the prices that these Topcor 20s go for these days, they may instead just use references to classic and vintage 20mm lenses in general -- like the classic 20mm f/3.5 UD pre-AI Nikkor, which usually sells for between $200 and $300 on places like eBay. Canon's FD 20mm and Minolta's MD 20mm sell for about the same. So anyway, I guess I'd go in there, hoping to spend between $200 and $300, and hoping there aren't any hardcore Topcon owners in the room. Of course, I'm thinking in USD, so please convert to your local currency as necessary.

It's not a real auction, it's an online one, but I've just spotted the very same lens (same serial) on kijiji, where the seller is asking 300 euros - no mentions of the hood in this case. Maybe I can negotiate a bit and have it for something less than that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last one I see sold for less than $300 in the US Click here to see on Ebay . The price will be always higher in Europe as they much harder to find in Europe. This lens has similar design to the Flek and it is optically superior to the Flek.