Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is it worth worrying about?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Is it worth worrying about? Reply with quote

Do I have to worry about the pinches on this lens (surrounded by red)? After I asked about them, if the lens was abused, the seller interrupted the communication. But I still want the lens Smile

The seller changed the presentation image and now the lens looks better.

Is it possible to have some hidden defects, after a mechanical shock, hits, or not think so much and buy it and get it done?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say those are minor scratches and won't affect mounting and dismounting the lens. You can ask the seller if pushing in the plunger stops down the lens iris and if the aperture ring and focusing collar turn freely.

If yes to all of the above, then I wouldn't worry about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to worry about imho. The pinches as you say don't block mount threads.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that an Auto Takumar ? Mine had a very sticky stop down mechanism from the switch on the outside that would stick the aperture in whatever position. The blades were fine, it was the levers and links. To get at them the black plastic disc has to be removed - and maybe that's why there are marks on the lens where the ring has been prised off?

I've got a very similar Auto Yashinon that also had a similar problem, but I can't remember if that has the plastic ring ( I'm away from home at the moment )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is an Auto Takumar.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like tool marks from a repair job.

Its often necessary to remove things like that plastic cover, in order to work on rear elements (clean fungus, etc.) and aperture blades.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries on those marks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the answers. I do not worry about pinching now, but I worry about the professional way or not he crafted in the lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is missing the plastic shield. Inside the lens the brass actuator runs on a brass track. And this gets gummed up with oil that leaches from the helicoid grease, or maybe it was lubricated from the factory? My lens had perfectly dry and free moving aperture blades, but the movement of the actuator on the track was very slow, often it stopped. I used lighter fuel in a hypodermic syringe and managed to get tiny drops onto the moving actuator and track without soaking the rest of the lens, and that was good enough to clean the track.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the details.