Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta Rokkor 58mm 1.2 Vs Konica Hexanon 57mm 1.2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
Thank you. Interesting, i find them on par, the other variables in the pics like subject distance, background distance, light, seem to smudge the difference in rendering.

blotafton wrote:
I only have the Rokkor. But i recognize the irregular shaped bokeh that it makes. The smoother, rounder shaped bokeh must be the Hexanon.

Great shots Like 1 small

Am I correct that# 1 is Hexanon and #2 is Rokkor?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
tomasg wrote:
Thank you. Interesting, i find them on par, the other variables in the pics like subject distance, background distance, light, seem to smudge the difference in rendering.

blotafton wrote:
I only have the Rokkor. But i recognize the irregular shaped bokeh that it makes. The smoother, rounder shaped bokeh must be the Hexanon.

Great shots Like 1 small

Am I correct that# 1 is Hexanon and #2 is Rokkor?

Yes, that s correct, you know the rendering of the Minolta very well! As far as i remember i changed the lenses when she took off the jacket, but i am not 100% sure, anyway #1 was among the first pics and #2 among the last, and i remember i used the Konica first.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radissimo77 wrote:
Quote:
What is a "better bokeh"? You mean it's more for your personal taste, right?
Bokeh discussions are for my taste always rather strange and very often not really understandable for me. Some people even like "donuts" in the background.

I agree that bokeh is very subjective, even some memeber here in the forum hate that word it seems. I usually test it in real life situation AND at home -as many things can change the shape of character of bokeh of the lens.

To simplify I post here 3 cases[ this is very rough quick test . but keeping with overal bokeh character of each lens ] :
this is Minolta 58/1.2, Konica 57/1.2 and Nikon 55/1.2 (not in that order)

x
x
x

Some member might guess right order.
p.s. For example No2. is FOR ME least preferrable.

Well, I ended up making this little animated h.264/gifv to see the comparative differences, and I'm just going my best guess as to what the focal length appears to be in each image.

Though, I am wondering if I have the Minolta 58mm f1.2 and Konica Hexanon 57mm f1.2 mixed up. I've read that the Hexanon 57mm f1.2 can have yellowing due to the radioactive glass. I'm unsure if the Minolta has yellowing, so keep in mind that this is just my best guess (as noted in the lower left corner of the animation), and possibly not accurate. Hopefully I have the Nikon 55mm f1.2 correct though.

<blockquote><a></a></blockquote><script></script> https://imgur.com/sKp8dJc

If for some reason embedding the animation didn't work, you can also view the animation directly by clicking here : https://imgur.com/sKp8dJc

I'm unsure of any other way I would be able to upload/post an HTML5 H.264 looping .gif alternative for comparison at this time. The quality of a regular .gif is too poor and creates too large a file size for a short comparative animation such as this.

Anyway, anyone else think this is the correct order?

Last edited by OccultDemonCassette on Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually.... now that I think about it. The Hexanon 57mm f1.2 has a minimum focusing distance of 0.45m compared to the Minolta's minimum focusing distance of 0.60m - so the image with the warmer tone I labeled as Minolta may very will be the Konica, just focused closer in.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had another older version of the Konica 57 in the past, the yellowing of the glass was strong and it showed in the pics, giving yellow/green casting. The second one has less yellowing, so far at least. The two versions: https://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/Objektive/e57_12.html