Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Filter advice.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Filter advice. Reply with quote

Hi guys, i am looking to start using filters for the first time and would like to pick your brains and get some advice. This is not for digital but solely for my A1 and X700 cameras and lenses.
I know absolutely bugger all about filters if i'm honest so any experienced advice will be most welcome. What is a good start, should i dive in with a large cheap chinese, covers it all cheapo set or, take it step at a time with older gear.

I am in the market so if anyone has anything that will help I would be happy to buy from here, in fact, I would prefer to to be honest. So any tips on what not to do and what to look out for would be much appreciated

Steve.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The overall question is what you want to achieve with filters. If that is known maybe some helpful hints could be given.

Generally I would rather recommend e.g. used or new Hoya filters or comparable products over new cheap no-name Chinese products as the glass in front of your lens is directly influencing the picture quality. "Original" filters from the lens makers are not really necessary but if found for reasonable prices, they would be always the best choice. However, I would not pay more for an original filter than for let's say a Hoya one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filters.htm
http://www.ilfordphoto.com/aboutus/page.asp?n=45

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I can, I go with Rodenstock, Schneider/B+W. Hoya make good filters too. The Marumi filters are also very good and going for cheap these days. I have tryed all of them plus Leica, Zeiss, etc, you can't go wrong with it,

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks guys.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for older filters, BDB, Tiffen, Hoya are my best advice as well as camera branded names, Nikon, Pentax etc. all these are excellent pro quality filters. Cheap chinese ones work but will degrade the image significantly. Although to be hones if you are using film and printing no bigger than 10x8 it won't be noticable - much.

as has been said, a UV filter is essential when using film. not so when using digital.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For lens protection my advice is get screw in lens hoods. I have the odd clear filter I use when I must but sometimes they can cause flare on some lenses. If you must go with filters I recomend good quality like B&w. I have just two sizes and use adapters to fit all my lenses (72mm and 58mm). I only really use Nd filters, and a polariser.