Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-6, what makes it so special (highly priced that is)?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Jupiter-6, what makes it so special (highly priced that is)? Reply with quote

I have tried, in my hands not on my camera, a Jupiter-6 lens. It was black shinny and it got me started even at 300€. What does make that lens that expensive? Is it just its rarity, a great performer, or what?
I love its looks despite its weight and size, even at such a price tag. Should I go for it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rarity.

Buy a CZJ Sonnar 2.8/180 instead, same design, look for a later MC one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J-9 is at a store near to my building while for a CSJ I will have look abroad. Is the CSJ of the same size and weight with J-9?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-6 or J-9?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-6, sorry! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About lens costing curves the 2 last years:

J-6 seems to be more rock solid then Sonnar 2.8/180, but the price have raised too much, so, I would prefer the better optics of a MC 180 Sonnar. On the other hand, this lens have also increased its price by the high demand, so it's worth to have a look for the 2.8/180 Zeiss Contax instead,

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Contax Sonnar. It is cheaper this year thanks to the falling Japanese yen.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-6 was not produced long time, so it is more rare (more than Helios-40 for example).
But I have seen some times ago (like 2 month) a J-6in good shape on eBay going for less than 200 $. Normal price is between 200 and 250. The black one is way more rare, so don't expect better prices.
About the IQ, I have never tried the zeiss, but I find the J-6 good.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lenses, which can probably perform better at this price level.
But the J-6 could become a future classic, a big badass piece of Russian goodness Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent lens and rare , need both to have high price tag on Eastern block lenses, I did never seen any locally under 10 yrs at Hungary.