Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 90mm f2.5 Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgustav wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
cgustav, sorry that's the only copy I have handy. I have a larger size file on the hard drive for my desktop computer, but it crashed and I think I've lost all my data on that drive. I may have it backed up to DVD somewhere . . .

In the full-sized image, you can see a tiny thread of spider web connecting those two top leaves on the bud.

Oops sorry, I didn't mean how much you would ask, but what could be considered a generic price, because I'm finding a quite wide range of prices off eBay.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't see the last sentence of your previous message. I don't know without looking it up on eBay what the Tamron TCs sell for these days, but if I had to guess, I'd say probably between $30 and $50. When I find a large range of prices on an item, I'll usually toss out the high ones for sure because there are invariably sellers who think they've just found gold. And often the lowest prices, when examining the item carefully, a problem will be revealed if the seller is being honest -- which they often are, I've found. So I'll often pay most attention at prices that are a couple of clicks away from being the cheapest.

I haven't shopped for a TC in a long time since I own both the 1.4x and 2.0x and have for quite a few years. On the general topic of TCs, though, if you should run across the Vivitar macro-focusing 2x in a mount you can use for a reasonable sum, you might should think seriously about picking it up. It is an excellent TC and its macro-focusing ability can come in very handy. Not just for turning any 50mm or 100mm lens into a macro lens, but also when you have a lens where the minimum focusing distance is too far away, you can bring things in a lot closer with one of these Vivitars. I own two -- one in Nikon and one in Canon FD mount. And I'm probably gonna have to pick up one in Pentax mount now that my Pentax kit has grown so much.

Back on topic . . .

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are interested in getting the 01F teleconverter and/or the 18F extension tube, you may find the following thread useful:

http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-sp-90mm-and-teleconverter-and-extension-tube-comparisons-t63650.html

I did a comparison to check the differences in quality and magnification when shooting with different setups and posted the results and some conclusions there.

Anyhow, as it has been already stated, this Tamron is a fabulous piece of glass and so is the 01F TC. Can't recommend it enough.

This is the kind of sharpness and resolution you can expect from this lens:

This is what it delivers when mounted on the TC:

And this is what you get adding the extension tube to the lens + TC setup:

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures and post.
Just got recently a copy of this Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 lens quite cheaply, as the glass seem to be only in average shape and waiting for the adaptall mount to give it a try.... Hope that in spite of the glass condition, lens will still perform nicely ..
Curious to compare this one with the Vivitar 100mm f3.5 (plastic fantastic) I already own and very pleased with.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a look through my box of TC's and I have must have sold the spare O1F that I had. I don't remember selling it though Confused

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Well, I don't know about that rear element being uncoated. It sure looks coated to me. It's more a case of the element being flat. And since the 52B and 52BB are optically identical, this problem would be common to both.

I think, depending on the subject matter -- like if you were into shooting plain, blank walls, this blue spot the Tamron 90 macro produces with some DSLRs might be a problem. I've confirmed its presence with my Canon DSLR, but I really had to look for it to find it. To me, it's always been a non-issue, mostly I suspect because I don't spend much time shooting pix of blank walls . . .

Quote:
Also have the matching 01F 2x teleconverter, but haven't tried it yet, just arrived. (Tamron made two SP 2x teleconverters, the 01F was designed for lenses up to 90mm. The 2nd one was designed specifically for greater focal lengths.)

Actually, your second and third statements are incorrect. You have it backwards with your second statement. The Tamron 90 macro was designed for 90mm and longer, but it still works with most wide-to-tele zooms. See:

http://adaptall-2.org/lenses/01F.html

Tamron's other 2x TC is the 200F, a very rare piece and worth quite a chunk of change on eBay these days. It was designed to be used with a specific set of lenses, and rather than my listing them here, I'll just refer you to its page at adaptall-2.org:

http://adaptall-2.org/lenses/200F.html

Quote:
edit: IIRC...
The TC: Yes, you will get 180mm and 1:1 magnification, F stop remains the same, MFD stays the same.
The matching extension tube : provides 1:1 magnification only by allowing you to reduce MFD, but F stop is reduced, stays 90mm.

I'm not following all of this. First of all, when you use the TC, everything you wrote is correct except the f-stops remaining the same. Well, they don't change per-se, but the effective f-stops are doubled. IOW, your lens may be set to f/8, but it's getting only f/16 worth of light. Gain 2x magnification, lose 2 stops of light. You don't get something for nothing, even with light. And this same basic thing happens when you use an extension tube. It's the extension that's causing a fall-off in the amount of light reaching the film or sensor, hence the effective f/stop being changed.

Micheal,

Rear element: The only reason I became aware of this issue was after purchasing a Mamiya/Sekor 55 f1.4, to only discover it produces this dreaded spot with the a6000. I've been shooting blissfully oblivious of the blue spot problem since I got this Tamron. The statement is of course 2nd hand from another post about the 52B. I know the 52BB is optically the same, so I went back to check my photos and didn't have any signs of this. Fortunate (so far).

Yes, re-reading my edit, saying to myself, WTF? Why did I write that?? This is what happens when you try to post and discover there has been several replies since you finished and submitted, and try to make changes to respond to new questions, while sleep deprived and pre-caffeinated. Note to self...don't try anything cerebral before having your espresso!
Very Happy

OK, I got it all ass-backwards. I had read the 01F description before, when I bought the teleconverter, trying to ID which one it was. I tried it out over the Memorial Day weekend with the 2nd 55BB shooting the Half Moon. But the results fell short. Unsharp and aberrations. The disappointment must have flipped my memory to blame the 01F as not compatible, and only the 200F was matching.

At least it will be good for the 52BB. Looking forward to trying them together, especially after seeing the sample photos above.

WOW! Nice work kido!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I've just had a look through my box of TC's and I have must have sold the spare O1F that I had. I don't remember selling it though :?

You traded one with me some months ago :wink:

Btw, it works great with my 52BB

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
Lloydy wrote:
I've just had a look through my box of TC's and I have must have sold the spare O1F that I had. I don't remember selling it though Confused

You traded one with me some months ago Wink

Btw, it works great with my 52BB

Ah yes....I'm pleased you like it. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need you guys to stop posting about this lens so I don't feel tempted to try re-assembling the exploded remains of mine.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kido, amazing shots!
Thanks for posting them.

I've bought the lens and the TC, just waiting to receive them in the mailbox.

I've to read your post about the comparison (I'll also try with the Raynox, curious to see the result).

Mike Deep wrote:
I need you guys to stop posting about this lens so I don't feel tempted to try re-assembling the exploded remains of mine.

I know that feeling Smile