Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Lomography New Petzval 58 Bokeh Control Art Lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: The Lomography New Petzval 58 Bokeh Control Art Lens Reply with quote

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lomography/the-lomography-new-petzval-58-bokeh-control-art-le

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me a bit pointless when we've got the Helios 44-2 range of lenses, a lot cheaper too...!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this new lens could generate swirl easier than the Helios 44, and likely even easier than with the Helios 40 too.
For me this new lens is a good idea. I have thought about DIY building a dedicated lens for controlable swirling images too, but not much proceeded. I used a LOMO KO-120M petzval projector lens and changed distance between front and back group with those simple ectension tubes, this changed the image effects, but image quality got down to much too.
Other experiments where with additional iris on other lenses, this way I want to tst further.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the cross-section diagram it it's not a classical Petzval but a kind of reversed Petzval. If the color of the glass in the cross-section diagram reflects the type of the glass used then it's not a Petzval, but a kind of "Petzal type" lens.
Anyway, the swirl control obtained by enlarging the space between the 2 lenses in the front group is, IMO, a nice thing to have and the FL is very convenient for both FF and APS-C. formats.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
I think this new lens could generate swirl easier than the Helios 44, and likely even easier than with the Helios 40 too.
For me this new lens is a good idea. I have thought about DIY building a dedicated lens for controlable swirling images too, but not much proceeded. I used a LOMO KO-120M petzval projector lens and changed distance between front and back group with those simple ectension tubes, this changed the image effects, but image quality got down to much too.
Other experiments where with additional iris on other lenses, this way I want to tst further.

I did some Petzval experiments, too. In my experiments the conclusions were:
-Additional irises on the component lenses (cardboard openings), only decreased the swirl to some level (no swirl increase) and, sometimes, acted as a diaphragm.
-Changing the distances between the front and the rear groups changed, to some degree, the FL and the level of sharpness.
-Reversing one lens or the entire rear group changed the character of the Bokeh very much but at the cost of a lower IQ.

Anyway, I finally figured out a way to control and add to some extent swirly Bokeh to most lenses, not only Petzvals. If there is enough demand I could try, after further refining it (still a lot of testing to do), to post the project on Kickstarter for a limited production.
But I'm afraid the level of demand is not encouraging...

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wide angle Minolta with field curvature control is this one: http://www.rokkorfiles.com/24mm%20VFC.htm - W.Rokkor 24mm f2.8 VFC

This new Petzval lomography lens is unfortunately yet another fashion rather than photographic item from lomography. With rack focusing and Waterhouse stops it will be very inconvenient to photograph with, so it will mostly sit pretty on display shelves.