Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

16-50oss with nex 3 ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: 16-50oss with nex 3 ? Reply with quote

I have the Nex 3 ( yes, the old nex 3 ) that I used all these years as a platform for manual focus lenses . Anyway , now I want an autofocus solution ,and I wonder if this leans (the 16-50oss kit lens ) can work coorrectly on this body , knowing that the lens needs the in camera distorsions correction activated(I don't know if my camera has this feature , it was designed to work with the old kit lens.
Did somebody tried this combo , or knows the answer?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will work but you need to apply the distortions and vignetting correction in post.
http://www.kurtmunger.com/sony_nex_pz_16_50mmid344.html

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll definitely work. I was unaware of the distortion correction. That would have to be done in pp if you must. I didn't notice any more distortion than my 18-55. I like the 16-50 because its half the size.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nex-3 doesn't offer distortion correction, so you either live with it (I tried my lens with the DC off and think it's quite pronounced at 16mm, otherwise it doesn't bug me too much. I read somewhere that it's more like a 15mm uncorrected) or fix it in Post. I use DXO and it does the job nicely and automatically when I shoot in RAW.

Could also be an idea to buy a A5000 or a Nex-3n including kitlens and sell the Nex3. I paid 200 EUR for my Nex-3n with 16-50 (I think you now coud get a A5000 for that). A used 16-50 sells for roundabout 120 EUR, so it wouldn't really be a high premium.

I really like 16-50 because it's very compact and lightweight and gives pleasing results. It's no 1000$ Prime-lens but ideal for what it was made for.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It gives a lot of distortion on nex 3, indeed , I tested recently.This doesn't show on A5000