Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma 24mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Sigma 24mm f2.8 Reply with quote

So a little while ago i was gifted a little sigma 24 by the Oldhand and have only just got to stretch its legs a bit and it is quite a good performer.
Apologies for the darkness of the pic, it was dusk and had camera on iso200 my bad.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent,love the reflection and light.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:

+1, very nice.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:

+1

A remarkable, and likely salable, photograph.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to apologize for the darkness. It helps make the photograph special.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that's an excellent photo!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
No need to apologize for the darkness. It helps make the photograph special.

Totally agree! Excellent picture!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice composition and beautiful colors!

I have AF version of this lens in PK mount. I use it manually on NEX and it's very impressive. It's performs better on the NEX than on my Pentax K-5IIs where it can misfocus.
I don't know if it has the exact same optical formula as MF version.

There has been speculation for years that it is a Minolta design taken over and improved by Leica. Sigma supposedly manufactured lenses for Leica before the Sigma versions versions appeared.
I have no idea if any of this is true...

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think it's an excellently composed image. Darkness adds to the mood. Gorgeous!
That Sigma looks to be a very good performer.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with that picture at all, or the lens. It's done everything you asked it to do. I've never been a fan of Sigma, I think I've had more stinkers than good ones, but they sell lenses - they can't all be bad. Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Zen wrote:
Nice composition and beautiful colors!

I have AF version of this lens in PK mount. I use it manually on NEX and it's very impressive. It's performs better on the NEX than on my Pentax K-5IIs where it can misfocus.
I don't know if it has the exact same optical formula as MF version.

There has been speculation for years that it is a Minolta design taken over and improved by Leica. Sigma supposedly manufactured lenses for Leica before the Sigma versions versions appeared.
I have no idea if any of this is true...

Yes, it's a really nice photograph. As for the 'parentage' of the lens being shared between Minolta, Sigma and Leitz, there does seem to have been some past confusion. According to Erwin Puts' Leica Compendium, Leitz adopted and then adapted a 24mm Minolta design for the the Leica R models, entirely making the resulting lens themselves, using German rather Japanese glasses. They subsequently adopted a Sigma 28~70 design which was then re-computed, this time by Sigma rather than Leitz. I'm pretty sure that there was no cross-over between Minolta and Sigma.

I have the AF version of the 24mm Sigma and think it does very well, although I've yet to capture an image that equals BeardsAreBest's Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the praises. Smile

This is the lens.

Beard.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
As for the 'parentage' of the lens being shared between Minolta, Sigma and Leitz, there does seem to have been some past confusion. According to Erwin Puts' Leica Compendium, Leitz adopted and then adapted a 24mm Minolta design for the the Leica R models, entirely making the resulting lens themselves, using German rather Japanese glasses.

I know the story like this: Actually the original design was 100% Minolta and Japanese Glass. So the first 24mm Leica-R lens was just a re-labelled Minolta lens. As Minolta changed the design of the lens (4 variants have been finally produced by Minolta) the still produced the 1st version in parallel for Leica although the ceased the production for their own brand. Finally Leica introduced their own lens which then was produced by themselves, but still based on the principles of the old Minolta design. The design of the 1st 24mm lens was purely from Minolta without any German glass or participation. So obviously there are two different Leica lenses available for the R line. A older Japanese version and a newer German version. That are my findings when I investigated a little bit deeper in this subject to find out which versions of the Minolta lens I have and what the differences are. However, at no point there is any evidence that there was any cooperation with Sigma for the 24mm lens.
Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, darkness adds more to it. Very nice shot!

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas wrote -

I know the story like this: Actually the original design was 100% Minolta and Japanese Glass. So the first 24mm Leica-R lens was just a re-labelled Minolta lens. As Minolta changed the design of the lens (4 variants have been finally produced by Minolta) the still produced the 1st version in parallel for Leica although the ceased the production for their own brand. Finally Leica introduced their own lens which then was produced by themselves, but still based on the principles of the old Minolta design. The design of the 1st 24mm lens was purely from Minolta without any German glass or participation. So obviously there are two different Leica lenses available for the R line. A older Japanese version and a newer German version. That are my findings when I investigated a little bit deeper in this subject to find out which versions of the Minolta lens I have and what the differences are. However, at no point there is any evidence that there was any cooperation with Sigma for the 24mm lens.
Just my 2 cents.

Firstly, apologies to BeardsAreBest for diverting his thread, and then to Thomas -

Thomas, that's interesting and I didn't know that Minolta had made four variants. I wonder of you'd mind sharing the source of your information so that I can improve my own knowledge? My interest extends outside pure photography to the history of the business of photographic equipment manufacturing.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no need to apologise bud.
Lets get the info!

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of those Sigma Superwide 24's somewhere that hasn't got a mount. It came in a box of crap ages ago, and my intention is to make a tilt - shift with it.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:

Thomas, that's interesting and I didn't know that Minolta had made four variants. I wonder of you'd mind sharing the source of your information so that I can improve my own knowledge? My interest extends outside pure photography to the history of the business of photographic equipment manufacturing.

Stephen,

Actually there are even more variants from Minolta around (totally 10 variants in MF including the special VFC version) plus the Leica-R variants. However, from the optical design point of view mainly 4 different versions are available (3 MF and 1 AF).

Here is a list of my source of information:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/24mm_f/2.8_Elmarit-R
http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektive/143-minolta-24mm-f28
http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sony-af/objektive/244-minolta-af-24mm-f28
http://www.rokkorfiles.com/24mm.html
http://www.rokkorfiles.com/24mm%20VFC.htm
http://rokkor.blogspot.co.at/
http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/index.html

Unfortunately (for you) some of it is in German. There may be also more, but I've forgotten the links. I've investigated about this subject quite intense, as I am somehow a little "Minolta-Maniac" since the early 80's when I bought my first Minolta SLR and I was also like you always interested in the stories behind. Wink

Have fun.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Shots, congrats. Besides that, nothing new for real, i do have the Sigma Super Wide II 24/2.8 and also Mini Wide II 28/2.8 for many years into my Collection, because i know these 2 primes are really good lenses. Cool I do have the lenses into MD and C/Y Mount.

But what is worse, every time a good old MF lens here or onto fredmiranda, etc. is being reviewed with good samples, the prices onto ebay & alike will rise, it seems to me...which is worse for new collectors. Shocked Confused

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of these super wide II lenses in CY fit. It's a good, sharp lens. Better than the Canon FD 28/2.8 but not quite as good as the Olympus OM. It's also got better corners than my Contax 25/2.8 though I prefer the colour and micro-contrast from the Ziess.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryreid wrote:
I had one of these super wide II lenses in CY fit. It's a good, sharp lens. Better than the Canon FD 28/2.8 but not quite as good as the Olympus OM. It's also got better corners than my Contax 25/2.8 though I prefer the colour and micro-contrast from the Ziess.

So do i, and after the very good Canon nFD 35/2.8 i was a bit disappointed with their similar 28/2.8 - it's not that good as their 35/2.8 for real. I do prefer the Zeiss Look way much, or being better said, high micro contrast and that kind of 3D Pop. I don't know about Olympus OM Mount lenses, never had one...except a few very cheap Praktica OM Mount Zoom lenses, which i bought off eBay straightly from Pentacon...haven't tried them yet, because i am waiting for my OM Mount to Sony eMount Adapter.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Should have read FD24/2.8 - I've never owned the 28/2.8.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. Very Happy but i never owned that nFD 24/2.8, too...only the 50/1.4, 35/2.8 and 28/2.8...and i have them still, minus the 28/2.8 nFD.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas - thanks for the references !