Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Backyard walk with A7II & Helios 44
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Backyard walk with A7II & Helios 44 Reply with quote

I have been training my puppy to recognize the boundaries of the electronic fence around my yard. My sub-division does not allow fenced in yards so if you are going to have a dog you need to go high tech as the list of chase-able critters in the neighborhood runs from field mice to deer.

Today he graduated to unrestrained movement. Not un-supervised, I was still with him, but he was free to run. I bring this up because it gave me the opportunity to carry my camera with me and take a few shots. So I mounted up the Helios-44 and had a go.

Just a bit of bokeh to brighten up my day.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for sharing, very nice samples. Also the lens seems plenty sharp.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Backyard walk with A7II & Helios 44 Reply with quote

Beautiful results. This is a newer model of the Helios, not the 44-2 that does that extreme bokeh swirl thing? Or do you just get different levels of swirl depending on focus distance and distance to background?

newst wrote:
My sub-division does not allow fenced in yards

Wow, I think that's a good policy. From what I've seen and heard I was always under the impression that USA was rusty barbed wire fences from coast to coast. Confused

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you RTI & miran.

The lens is an early Helios-44 (no suffix) in M39 mount. Very highly polished aluminum. It is indeed quite sharp in the center. The swirly bokeh depends a lot on positioning.

miran, you should take a virtual tour of the Kansas Barbed Wire Museum. There is much more to its history than rust.
Very Happy

http://www.rushcounty.org/barbedwiremuseum/

One correction. The last photograph in the first group was taken earlier that morning using a Takumar 2.8/120, not the Helios.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great results Steve.
Number two is awesome and I love your dog.
OH

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Some great results Steve.
Number two is awesome and I love your dog.
OH

Thanks Oldhand,

This is the first time I took the Helios out. I bought it over the winter while I was moving my collection to LTM mount. I was disappointed to learn the M39 Helios is really an SLR lens so I just put it to the side and forgot about it. Not long ago I picked up a 39-42 ring and a M42 to M39 adapter on the cheap and decided to try it out.

Trooper is fantastic. He has the happiest disposition you can ask for in a puppy. He now has a new friend named Smokey and they get along just fine...most of the time at least.