Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Butterflies with Meyer Primotar 135/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Butterflies with Meyer Primotar 135/3.5 Reply with quote

My silver M42 Primotar finally proved to be worth having. In fact it could outperform Trioplan 100 on butterflies, some time needed to prove or not. Lacks Trioplans' aberrations, softness and general lack of sharpness wide open, which is pretty similar to Telemegor 180, and its f/3.5 wide open is just optimal. But it lacks Trioplans' good MFD either. One small ext. ring has no power here compared to 100mm Trioplan!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Butterflies with Meyer Primotar 135/3.5 Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
My silver M42 Primotar finally proved to be worth having. In fact it could outperform Trioplan 100 on butterflies, some time needed to prove or not. Lacks Trioplans' aberrations, softness and general lack of sharpness wide open, which is pretty similar to Telemegor 180, and its f/3.5 wide open is just optimal. But it lacks Trioplans' good MFD either. One small ext. ring has no power here compared to 100mm Trioplan!

Nice work.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. The lens is very often present in my bag now.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures, lovely style!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still kickin' around. Great lens for my purposes overall I value only a bit less than Trioplan 100.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful... feels like oil on canvas..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent pictures, really love them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb pictures, I can see why the choice of lens is important to you, and why you like that lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work! I guess that I need to look for Primotar and Trioplan now... Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice, crisp, in-focus subjects. But the bokeh look positively surreal. Like an abstract painting, almost. Very impressive.

Looks like I might need to add another M42 lens to my collection!

There's a clean black one from the UK on US eBay. They're asking 65 GBP for it. Is that a fair price? Seems like it would be to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exquisite results. They look like paintings.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful work, Marek - my favorite is the last image with the pink flower - wonderful use of color! Super lens choice for a talented photographer!

P.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your interest guys. I just came from Hungary-Slovakian trip that was pretty much Primotar oriented, so I might upload some new results any time soon.

Cooltouch, I've sent you PM with some details on this theme. I hope it helps.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First butterfly comes from Slovakia, second is from Hungary. They are both on some level of danger of extinction in most of the countries with recent species distribution.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos. The first one looks like Melitaea diamina or M. britomartis. I'm not sure about the second one (Boloria euphrosyne?)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melitaea diamina and Brenthis hecate male Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
Brenthis hecate male Very Happy

That explains why I didn't find it in a book on Polish butterflies Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't put my fingers on Primotar for a long time, but did so the day before yesterday:

Now I am heading to Hungary again with some Dutch-British wildlife tour, probably with Primotar deep inside my bag, hoping to infect some more people with Razz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
Didn't put my fingers on Primotar for a long time, but did so the day before yesterday:

Now I am heading to Hungary again with some Dutch-British wildlife tour, probably with Primotar deep inside my bag, hoping to infect some more people with Razz

That Bokeh! it's really nice. Good luck on your trip.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb photos ! Unfortunately, this is another lens that has rocketed in price because folk desire the Trioplan-like blur. A pity really. I was using the Lydith today and it's such an excellent lens. But so many people just want those bokeh balls I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:

You have certainly infected me! I just won one of these on ebay for 65€, I'm embarased to admit. Rolling Eyes I don't know what's wrong with me, this is completely ridiculous. There's not many lenses I paid more for, and certainly none that aren't really that good objectively speaking. And I don't even need another 135. Well, while I wait for it to be delivered, I put a curse on you. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both come from south-western Bosnia - perhaps the nicest country I have visited so far

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
Both come from south-western Bosnia - perhaps the nicest country I have visited so far

I love that comment, for the fact that I was born in Bosnia Smile close to my heart.
Once again, I love your shots.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very nice, as always. The Primotar is definitely a lens with unique character, like some of the other Meyer lenses. However, your images have a consistent look to them that tells me there is a processing technique you've adopted and use consistently. Would you care to share your technique?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Very, very nice, as always. The Primotar is definitely a lens with unique character, like some of the other Meyer lenses. However, your images have a consistent look to them that tells me there is a processing technique you've adopted and use consistently. Would you care to share your technique?

+1
I would agree and was wondering the same thing. Anyone can get lucky, but to consistently get such results is very impressive.
I believe I am getting the same lens soon, so I would love to hear some insight.