Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Novoflex m42 adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Novoflex m42 adapter Reply with quote

Hey guys, I recently got into old manual focus lenses, and started out with a Jena 50mm as a cheap starter. Which turned out pretty well. But I got lucky 3 days ago when visitting the DDR. I found a Aus Jena (DDR Zeiss) 35mm f2.4 in perfect condition with the original case, I'm pretty sure this lens hasn't been used ever.

So I thought I need something better than the m42 adapter I currently have, which was 3$ on ebay and fits pretty (Read; too) tight on my camera.

So the Novoflex m42 to canon Eos adapter caught my eye and I was wondering if anyone has some expierence with it? Is it worth the extra money?

(Once the adapter gets sorted you will recieve plenty of photos of the gem of course Wink )

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear I think I posted this in the wrong section? Could a kind mod please be of service?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is good enough for more than 99.9% people.

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Novoflex m42 adapter Reply with quote

redguy22 wrote:

So the Novoflex m42 to canon Eos adapter caught my eye and I was wondering if anyone has some expierence with it? Is it worth the extra money?

The short answer is "NO".

I have plenty adapters to fit all my different lenses to different cameras and only two of them are made by Novoflex as there was at that time no cheaper alternative from China.
I never had any problems with these Chinese adapters and there is not much difference. However, I didn't buy one as cheap as 3 $.
Maybe a adapter for 20 $ will do the trick.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Novoflex adapters are very expensive her in the UK, but I recently bought a used one which is now on its way to me and should arrive tomorrow. I have lots of other Chinese adapters (though not for EOS) some of which are okay and others very poor indeed. I'll have a careful look at the Novolflex and let you know my honest opinion about it.

Hey! You did well to visit the DDR - I thought that vanished years ago Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:

Hey! You did well to visit the DDR - I thought that vanished years ago Very Happy

Thank you all for your comments so far, my very cheap adapter was maybe too cheap and I'm looking into the 20$ range adapters now.

But I did find the Novoflex adapter used at a local camerastore so maybe I'll check it out too.

And Scsambrook....you're right. But when visiting the former DDR you sometimes forget it actually ceased to excist, not much has changed in some villages. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with this. FotodioX Pro Adapter for M42 Lens to Canon EOS Camera with Focus Confirmation Chip, V.2 with Flange (Chrome)

Then you don't have to worry about paint coming off, like mine is...

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-10LA-M42-EOS-P-V2-Chrome-Adapter-cameras/dp/B003Y2Z6X2
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1009420-REG/fotodiox_m42_eos_fl_dc_p_adapter_for_m42_lens.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My M42 came from SRB Griturn here in the UK, who manufacture a lot of their own adapters ( and have the facilities for custom work )
I've had a lot of stuff from them and they are always quick to deliver and the quality is always first class.

http://srb-photographic.co.uk/

http://srb-photographic.co.uk/sony-nex-e-mount-lens-adaptors-1183-c.asp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: kly it looks Reply with quote

I just got my Novoflex Leica to M4/3 adapter - I know it's not the EOS fit that redguy22 wants but it's maybe worth saying what I think about the quality.

It certainly isn't as impressive to look at as the Panasonic and Voigtlander ones which I also have, BUT, it its fits rock solid on my Lumix body and all my Leica-fit lenses lock into it without any radial play at all. For good measure, it gives accurate infinity register - none of my lenses focus back 'past infinity'. Both the Panasonic and the Voigtlander ones have a bit of leeway in that respect. And all my cheap Chinese ones let the lenses go way back past infinity and they don't lock into the body firmly, nor do they let the lenses fit snugly.

It's certainly an expensive item, but the quality is 100%.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: kly it looks Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
I just got my Novoflex Leica to M4/3 adapter - I know it's not the EOS fit that redguy22 wants but it's maybe worth saying what I think about the quality.

It certainly isn't as impressive to look at as the Panasonic and Voigtlander ones which I also have, BUT, it its fits rock solid on my Lumix body and all my Leica-fit lenses lock into it without any radial play at all. For good measure, it gives accurate infinity register - none of my lenses focus back 'past infinity'. Both the Panasonic and the Voigtlander ones have a bit of leeway in that respect. And all my cheap Chinese ones let the lenses go way back past infinity and they don't lock into the body firmly, nor do they let the lenses fit snugly.

It's certainly an expensive item, but the quality is 100%.

Thanks for your comment on your Novoflex adapter. I think I'll take the plunge and get me the 2nd hand Novoflex at a local camerastore here. At 39€ it isn't too expensive.

I'll return here with a full report and photos of the adapter and lens of course!

Thank you all for your assistance so far, loving this community.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a difference and it's called tolerances. "Made it Germany" luckily enough still has a meaning and reputation and if it is critical, I'll rely on that Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised some feedback on the Novoflex adapter;

I got to say it's expensive, but it's worth it I think. The thing is sollid and fits perfectly on the m42 part of the lens. Plus comes on and off the camera as smooth as you can wish for. Litterly no complaints what so ever!

(I think photos taken with the lens go in a new seperate topic, right?)

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news and as expected Wink

Show them here, no worries....

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all the lens and the adapter. Shots taken with my old Canon eos 1000D

IMG_6243 by berg_fotos, on Flickr

And then we got the lens and the awesome prestine case which came with it.

IMG_6245 by berg_fotos, on Flickr

And all this for 10€

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing. A nice lens for 10 Euro and a sheet of metal for 40 Euros in order to use that lens. Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunset by berg fotos, on Flickr

Been trying my very best to get a few nice shots out of this lens. Which is by no means hard concidering the quality of the lens, mostly user error Wink