Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question about bad colour negative development
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Question about bad colour negative development Reply with quote

Hello,

I would like to ask you, more experience, guys about your opinions the problem I encountered.

I shot my usually day-to-day negative Fuji Superia X-TRA 400 and had it developed in lab (the same as always).
I'm scanning negative myself with Plustek 7600i scanner.

What's a bit weird is the trouble with colour balance on a few shots. Most of the negative is all right, however last 10-12 frames represents random colour cast.
All of them were shoot in the daylight, at about 6:00PM and sunlight was even, not changed by moving clouds. However when I scanned those 10 frames, 4 of them are all right and rest is showing different amounts of colour cast. Frames which are showing colour cast look as they are overexposed by 2-3 stops. Overexposed photos have, after conversion to positive, quite strong cyan cast.
My thoughts are that by overexposing by different amounts particular frames I had caused this colour casts, but I'm waiting for your opinions.
My other theory is that ColorPerfect plugin, which I'm using for negative-positive conversion, doesn't cope well with significantly overexposed frames, but this could be easily checked by trying out different software.

At the end I would ask one, ridiculous question: if something is wrong with the development, then whole negative will be messed up, right? I don't think that old or wrong chemistry could cause such differences from frame to frame, but I would like to be ensured.

I would really appreciate any thoughts or opinions on such case.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, overexposure and underexposure affect colours in different ways depending on the actual film and trying to "fix" them can quickly get painful. Sad