Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Withdrawal Symptoms, need to buy a lens (or two..)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Withdrawal Symptoms, need to buy a lens (or two..) Reply with quote

Hi there,

I feel like I need to buy a lens, probably sooner than later.

I've a fairly decent collection already:
Nikon 75-150 f/3.5
Nikon 55 f/2.8 micro
Nikon 50 f/1.4
Nikon 35 f/2
Nikon 24 f/2.8

Helios 58 44m-2 f/2
Carenar 135 f/2.8
Pentacon 50 f/1.8
Vivitar 70-210 series 1 f/3.5

OM Zuiko 50 f/1.4
OM Zuiko 28 f/3.5

Auto Chinon 50 f/1.7
Seikanon 28-70 f/3.5 Macro
Sakar 75-300 f/5.6
Tokyo Optics 80-200 f/4.5
Quantaray 135 f/2.4

Since I use my camera for video as well, so far the lenses I've trusted more are Nikons, Helios, OM.

That being said, I was wondering what I could add. Some nice lens that might fit well in the range above.
Also, not sure whether I should wait saving some money and get a famous one (such as Carl Zeiss perhaps?) or just look for something affordable but still good performer.

This is what I've seen so far which I might be interested in (in order of interest and from cheapest to expensive):
Mir-1B 1v wide angle 2.8/37mm (seriously thinking getting one of these)
Mamiya Sekor 55mm 1.8

Mamiya Sekor 85mm 2.8
Mamiya/Sekor SX 135mm
Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4
Nikon 105 f/2.5
Super Cosina 100-500mm 5.6-8.0 MC Macro
Cosina AF 100mm f/3.5 Macro
Olympus OM-System E. Zuiko Auto-T 100mm f/2.8

Is there any evident advantage in getting one of the above lenses compared to what I already have?
Or is it more a matter of pro & cons?
I guess what I mean is: any real no brainer that would be worth buy? (MIRs are in the range of $45-$60, might be worth?)

Camera I'm using the lens with: A6000, and the A7s successor as soon as it will come out (hopefully soon!).

Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post!!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be worthwhile to think about a fast AF-lens for your very fast A6000 camera? In the MF section you have already a relatively broad collection. Maybe a real wide angle lens would also come to my mind when looking on your present collection on the A6000. However, on the A7 24mm (your widest lens at the moment) should be good enough. A tele macro lens could eventually also be useful.
I do not see much value added in your "wish list" in comparison to your present inventory.
What do you expect from the MIR compared to your Nikon 35/2? The Nikon is not bad at all.
Safe your money and go for something totally different as I already recommended. Maybe a very good flash or a special macro accessory could also broaden your existing possibilities. That's only my point of view. Your's may be different.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's an AF lens? Cool Hush now, let the man buy his MF lens. Laughing

Your widest lens is 24, I recommend the new CV15III, 15mm is great fun.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

Being an old and long time MF shooter and having very long refused to step into AF, I have to admit that after the move to digital when I had my first AF lens in my life, I saw also some advantages of having some good AF lenses. Especially for quick moving objects that can be rather useful. However, for everyday use I don't need it either.

I like my CV 15mm very much too. The CV 12mm even more, because it's still a real wide angle and not a fish eye.
But I think there may be still some troubles on the NEX's. That's not the case on my Ricoh GXR-M, nor on my Bessa R2. Wink

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see where the recommendation comes from and I must admit I forgot to mention that I also have the 16-50mm Sony lens kit that I actually enjoy a lot (not that I take lot of wide angle shots..)

As far as wide angle lens goes I find the 16-50 good enough for my needs at the moment. Considered that I couldn't use it on the A7s though, I was already looking at the Vivitar 17mm, but like tb_a said the Nikon 24mm on the A7s should be good anyway. I'll decide when I'll put my hands on the FF Smile

I also forgot to mention that on the macro side, besides the Nikon 55 micro (that I find great), I also have the Raynox M-150 and extension tubes, a flash (that I end up using very little) and so far that's filled my needs pretty well.

So, why the MIR when I've the Nikon? I don't know, hence my question: is there any advantage/reason (other than having fun) to add the MIR or any lens from the list I posted considered what I already have? Or there might be some other great lens within that price range ($50-$120) that I'm missing and would be nice to have?

Lightshow wrote:
Cool Hush now, let the man buy his MF lens. Laughing

Laughing

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An 80, 85 or a 100mm would be useful.
The Mamiya 645 2.8/80mm is well within your budget.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shoot video too. A quality shorter zoom originally for a 35mm movie camera is in need. Non-click zooming with panning. Some lenses start at wider end at 25mm or so. Finding the right lens at reasonable price is the job. You need to do the homework to be alert when the right lens comes Your way. Then it needs an adapter or a new mount. All this will keep You busy for some time. Cool

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
A true extension would be a medium Tele with larger Aperture.

How about a 200 between 2.8 (might be outside your pricerange) 3.5 or 4 ?

Agreed.
If you look at the Mamiya 2.8/80 you will need an adapter.
Might want to also look at the Mamiya 645 4/210 as well since it will also fit the adapter.
Both are likely within your budget an they are both very capable
OH

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on what is your favourite focal length - or the zoom range you find most useful.
At least that I what I am trying to do, having more 'exclusive' lenses in the range that I like the most, while trying other ones as well.

Btw, I am expecting the A7s successor to be at least 6 months away if not more - so you have plenty of time Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Lightshow wrote:

Being an old and long time MF shooter and having very long refused to step into AF, I have to admit that after the move to digital when I had my first AF lens in my life, I saw also some advantages of having some good AF lenses. Especially for quick moving objects that can be rather useful. However, for everyday use I don't need it either.

I like my CV 15mm very much too. The CV 12mm even more, because it's still a real wide angle and not a fish eye.
But I think there may be still some troubles on the NEX's. That's not the case on my Ricoh GXR-M, nor on my Bessa R2. Wink

The new CV15III should work just fine on the NEX's, as I have used it on my A7r and don't see the issues version II had on it and my NEX-7.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
The new CV15III should work just fine on the NEX's, as I have used it on my A7r and don't see the issues version II had on it and my NEX-7.

I was referring to the CV 12mm lens. I've already learned that the problems are solved with the 3rd version of the CV 15mm.
Did you hear anything about this?
When this problems are solved I am again evaluating the move to mirrorless FF digital. For the time being I do not see any advantage and stay with my FF SLR, where I can start from 16mm focus length.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want a lens that is as sharp to the edge as in the center? Has a unique look? Perhaps telling us more about how you selected the lenses you have and what you like about them would give us more direction.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're planning to add an A7-something to your outfit, I'm also going to recommend you consider some ultra wides. The old Nikkor UD 20mm f/3.5 is a beautiful lens. Wider stuff is out there, of course. Like the famous Tokina 17mm. The Canon 14mm L rectilinear is simply spectacular. Then there are the Samyang ultra wides, too.

Also, you don't have any long telephotos, much less fast ones. One of my favorite long, fast telephotos is the Tamron 300mm f/2.8 LDIF. It's as good as the Canons and Nikons but sells for much less.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
An 80, 85 or a 100mm would be useful.
The Mamiya 645 2.8/80mm is well within your budget.
Cheers
OH

Thanks Oldhand, I'll look into that. I'm finding something for 645 format, isn't that a medium format? The adapter seems not super cheap ($46 on Amazon).

Gamera wrote:
You shoot video too. A quality shorter zoom originally for a 35mm movie camera is in need. Non-click zooming with panning. [...]

Any recommendation to start with? Smile

bernhardas wrote:
A true extension would be a medium Tele with larger Aperture.
How about a 200 between 2.8 (might be outside your pricerange) 3.5 or 4 ?

Yes, that seems to be over budget, but I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks!

padam wrote:
[...]Btw, I am expecting the A7s successor to be at least 6 months away if not more - so you have plenty of time Smile

6 months? I thought was going to happen earlier. Anyway, like you said in that case I'll have plenty of time Smile

Lightshow wrote:

Basically, this combination - http://is.gd/07idzK
But if this is the lens we're talking about, not really within my budget (but I can put it on my wish list for sure)
Voigtlander Super Wide-Heliar Aspherical II 15mm f/4.5 BA212M - http://is.gd/jvNZ9l

vroger wrote:
Do you want a lens that is as sharp to the edge as in the center? Has a unique look? Perhaps telling us more about how you selected the lenses you have and what you like about them would give us more direction.

So far I've used two criteria: when I pick a lens for video, I usually look for sharpness and for a fast lens. With the A7s a fast lens is not necessarily needed though, so this might change in the future. I've only got two 1.4 lenses so far, and I realized that speed is not everything. Now I tend to prefer Nikons for video (regarding the speed).
When I look for something fun, then I look for strange bokeh or nice colors.

cooltouch wrote:
Since you're planning to add an A7-something to your outfit, I'm also going to recommend you consider some ultra wides. The old Nikkor UD 20mm f/3.5 is a beautiful lens. Wider stuff is out there, of course. Like the famous Tokina 17mm. The Canon 14mm L rectilinear is simply spectacular. Then there are the Samyang ultra wides, too.

Also, you don't have any long telephotos, much less fast ones. One of my favorite long, fast telephotos is the Tamron 300mm f/2.8 LDIF. It's as good as the Canons and Nikons but sells for much less.

This guy here? Tamron 60B SP 300mm F 2 8 LD If Adaptall MF Lens in Nikon AI Mount | eBay - http://is.gd/niV8oY
That's quite a price! Not for my budget :/

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgustav wrote:

cooltouch wrote:

This guy here? Tamron 60B SP 300mm F 2 8 LD If Adaptall MF Lens in Nikon AI Mount | eBay - http://is.gd/niV8oY
That's quite a price! Not for my budget :/

Yeah, well, I wasn't really aware of what your budget was, but that price is about typical. I was patient, though, bought mine off eBay for $500, and the reason why I got it for so much less is because it had some light traces of fungus on the underside of the front element. It was easy enough to clean, so I was able to save quite a bit of money on the deal.

If you can't afford something like the Tamron 300/2.8, then I recommend you try for a 300mm f/4 or f/4.5. Both the Canon and Nikon optics are great. The Canon L and Nikon ED will cost more, but they are noticeably better. I can't speak to other brands, such as Minolta or Pentax or Olympus, having never used them, although I image they're all great. There are also some really good zooms. For example, the Tokina AT-X 100-300mm f/4 SD is a great lens. I own one, and at 300mm it is as sharp as many primes. It's big and fairly heavy, but worth it. Plus, it's fairly cheap on eBay these days. I think I paid close to twice for mine in Nikon mount compared to what they're selling for on eBay these days.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you I would get a Lensbaby, an used 3G. It gives you a very different look to everything lovely lens. It is about 100 bucks on ebay.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After buying MANY lenses i find they all have a similar look and feel to them. But with projection lenses they can each have a uniqueness to them that is not for everyone, but i have found them to make me more creative and also are fun for me to adapt.
They can be pretty cheap but can also go for quite a bit too.
Most fun i have had in ages.