Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leitz Summicron 50mm/F2 M39/LTM Collapsible
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, yes mine is the R, with the Leitax adapter on my D600 body. I thought M lenses are better ones, but I love this lens better than my Nikon 50/1.2 Ais. Especially the rendering.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cellotone wrote:
Oops, yes mine is the R, with the Leitax adapter on my D600 body. I thought M lenses are better ones, but I love this lens better than my Nikon 50/1.2 Ais. Especially the rendering.

Not necessarily. It depends on the sub-version, i.e. age of the lens. It's also a question what to consider as "better". Sometimes the rendering is more important than the ultimate sharpness. In this particular case your R lens version 1 (introduced 1964) is slightly better in terms of higher contrast compared to my M lens which is an older model from 1954. Also the coatings improved over the time.
However, generally all of those lenses are of high quality and the difference might be marginal in everyday photography. I never wanted to have any "better" or newer version of my lens to get rid of any shortcomings. In other words: It's good enough for me. But I didn't yet make real comparison shots between my Summicron and some other high quality fifties on hand. This may eventually change my present judgement. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 7 / Summicron - R- 50mm/2.0 (E55) South Germany / Winter - Me and my BorderCollie -Almost out of cam - only scaled down -its all about colours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camera Shy by unoh7, M9 50/2 WO

Firetrail by unoh7, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During a walk in my home town I was hunting for some flowers. All shot with my Ricoh GXR-M and for most of the flower pictures a 8mm distance ring was used and of course, for all pictures a proper lens hood. As usual converted and resized in LR6 with some adjustments.

IMHO this over 60 years old lens is still quite capable and more than good enough for me....

Particularly I like the bokeh very much.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first (collapsible) Summicron 50mm (1953) and the second (rigid) version (1956) differ a little bit. I think Walter Mandler designed most, if not all of the Summicron-M 50 mm lenses, including the 4th type. After that one other lens designers were responsible. I use the versions II and III and sometimes IV, I like them all. The handling of contrast gets better with the later types.
Lex

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SandroB wrote:
I use the versions II and III and sometimes IV, I like them all. The handling of contrast gets better with the later types

Did you ever compare them directly under same controlled circumstances? I would be curios to know whether the differences are really visible in other than "pixel-peeping" modes. It's quite easy to control or push the contrast in digital photography, therefore I wonder if the investment into a newer version would be that much of an improvement, considering also the heavy investment for such a newer lens.
However, even if my 1st version may be the weakest of all, I consider this lens already as remarkable and very good and on my Ricoh GXR-M it is able to deliver outstanding results (for my taste). Maybe a comparison on Fuji Velvia/Minolta Dimage Scan 5400 scanned at maximum resolution would emphasize any shortcomings, I don't know. Sometimes I will test that as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas, I never ran a test of my Summicron 50mm lenses. Usually I take the version III since I like it a lot (good contrast, sharpness) and when I( have to be really sure I use the newer version IV. My own rule is: if I am happy with the results there is no need at all to buy a newer version. Instead I have bought some older lenses, also from other brans, like Schneider.
Lex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Russian Summicron - the Helios-103 is damn good and you can buy a brand new one for 30eu.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian - I don't know the Helios 103 - which version of the Summicron does it copy? Got any samples? Pictures I mean, not lenses Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure which version it copies, if you search, there are articles on it. I'll have to look for samples, I think they are on my old hard drive.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
I don't know the Helios 103 - which version of the Summicron does it copy? Got any samples? Pictures I mean, not lenses Smile

Stephen, I can help you further: The Helios-103 53mm/F1.8 lens is a symmetrical 6/4 construction purely available for Kiev/Contax hence rather useless for us who need RF-coupled LTM lenses for our cameras.
A description incl. a drawing of the construction can be found here: https://www.rafcamera.com/lens-helios-103

Member "ForenSeil" did a comparison some time ago against the Summicron V1 collapsible (to be back on topic again) here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/helios-103-vs-jupiter-8-vs-vs-old-collapsible-summicron-t53684.html

Cheers,

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And why would one need a M39 lens to have RF coupling if you are using it on a Ricoh GXR which has no rangefinder?

Also, the Helios-103 optical block is a direct and simple swap with a J-8 block, so it is a job of just a few minutes with one small flathead screwdriver to put a Helios-103 block into a Jupiter barrel and hey presto, you have an M39 rf coupled H-103.

Been a while since I used my H-103 on digital, I'll take it out and make some samples in the next day or two, rain allowing.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
And why would one need a M39 lens to have RF coupling if you are using it on a Ricoh GXR which has no rangefinder?.

Steady on, mon brave - Thomas knows I use a Leica. But please do get yours out and take a few photos - perhaps in the rain, too. I like rainy day pictures.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, I didn't know you use a Leica, pray tell, which model?

The thing that bothers me about rain is that while I myself am somewhat waterproof, my NEX decidedly isn't and seeing as I live on the Cumbrian coast, we don't just have rain, we have RAIN! lol

I'll do my best though.

It's currently heaving it down here, so you might have to wait a wee while. Smile

Here's the old thread on the Helios, sadly the pictures are gone, but you can read the comments and get an impression.

http://forum.mflenses.com/russian-summicron-t52948,start,50.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Aha, I didn't know you use a Leica, pray tell, which model?

The thing that bothers me about rain is that while I myself am somewhat waterproof, my NEX decidedly isn't and seeing as I live on the Cumbrian coast, we don't just have rain, we have RAIN! lol

I'll do my best though.

It's currently heaving it down here, so you might have to wait a wee while. Smile

Ian - I have an M2 which after its first fifty years now finally needs a shutter service, and an M8 which I bought when it was discontinued and massively discounted. My final major equipment purchase ! I got my first Leica in 1960, a 1936 Standard with a 50/3.5 Elmar, which cost me £16. Happy days and long ago . . .

Rain, yes we have that here too. Maybe not as aggressive as yours, but plenty of it.For years I've tried to get my Dear Wife to hold a large golfing umbrella over me while I take rainy day pictures but she steadfastly refuses either to do that or carry my camera bag. I'm happy to wait for your pics until the monsoon abates Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
And why would one need a M39 lens to have RF coupling if you are using it on a Ricoh GXR which has no rangefinder?

I am using my RF lenses both on the Ricoh GXR (digital) and Bessa R2 (film) hence I need the RF coupling as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merry X-mas!

Clickable for best quality viewing.

A7R II / F2:

A7R II / F5.6:

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still going strong.

Summicron on A7R II: