Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

S-M-C Macro Takumar 50mm f4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely duck Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Warming up this thread ;-) Reply with quote

My intention was: find and buy a Takumar 1.4/50. It was a decision to be made in a few seconds.
Package arrived: donk! a 1:4/50 - not the fast one.
I realized what I got and was not very happy because I did not get the item I expected.

After some days of usage and research I am happy again. More than happy. What a luck! This is the lens that must be the reason for the term "tak sharp".

It gives very fine rendering of detail, nice colours and near perfect handling.

While playing around I tried the 1:1 adaptor of my Vivitar 2.5/90 with the Takumar. It gives a 1:0.8 ratio Surprised
Given by a 36x24mm sensor, EOS 5D

BTW I will keep the Spotmatic that came with the lens as well. Nice camera.

Last edited by mflex-on on Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mflex-on

yes, lucky! the Macro Tak 50/4 sells more expensive than the 50/1.4 ( at least used to, don't know about how prices developed these last few months ) and is an exceptionally sharp lens
but do get the S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4 too Wink

amazing avatar Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is my next SMC Taks lens.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Macro-Tak (1:1) and S-M-C Macro Tak (1:2) are near the top of my favorite lenses list, especially for walk-around here in forest. I hope someday to reach the same quality of images kuuan has posted here! As the great example images here show the lens is a solid performer from maximum macro through infinity landscapes and IQ is superb even wide open! Only maybe not the best for portraits of people; not soft enough, it is too sharp and images show every skin pore and "blemish" in great detail!

The distortion correction is excellent; great for copying documents. It is my preferred lens for photos of paintings.

Great contrast; can be too much if not careful! With sunlit subject a shade background can be black; sometimes that is advantage.

One thing I encounter after using the 1:1 for a while the 1:2 takes some getting used to as it doesn't get quite as close or able to photograph as big the tiny subjects!

The 100/4 Macro-Tak is of same qualities; gives more working distance; gets to 1:2.

All the macro-taks performance continues into true macro ranges using bellows/extension tubes -- can almost see individual plant cells!

Through effort and much time and not too much money (only enough for a couple of Canon L series) I have managed to assemble a complete set of S-M-C takumars, from 17mm through 500mm. I would dearly like to have the rectilinear 15mm! There is one on ebaY now, but for BIN $2380US, too much for me right now...someday, perhaps.

Last edited by visualopsins on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmike wrote:
this is my next SMC Taks lens.

Very good decision.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

siriusdogstar wrote:
...I hope someday to reach the same quality of images kuuan has posted here!..

thank you for the flowers, but you must be kidding me..these were taken about one month after I had bought my first dSLR ( had used an analog SLR before but over 20 years ago ) and during the first days I had the Macro Tak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Tomioka Macro Yashinon 2.8/60 but design is different. Maybe earlier model? Tomiokas macro are very good performers but you can find just average copy very easy. I have 4 and one is optically slightly worse then others. There are no average price. You can find a bargain and pay below $100 and you can loose with bid $280+

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my most used mf lenses. I love it.

http://forum.mflenses.com/panasonic-g1-novoflex-and-macro-tak-4-50-t19071.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody compared the takumar with the volna and the industar macro lenses?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voytek wrote:
Looks like Tomioka Macro Yashinon 2.8/60 but design is different.

Well I don’t think they look the same. The Takumar has maximum aperture of 1:4 and has a focal lenght of 50mm. Filter diameter is 49 mm, it is a Tessar-style lens with 4 lenses in 3 groups.

Voitek, which data has this Tomioka Macro Yashinon 2.8/60?

Edit: Found an information about the Yashinon that it has 5 lenses. Must be very different to the Takumar.

Last edited by mflex-on on Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Anybody compared the takumar with the volna and the industar macro lenses?

I had one Industar-61 for a short time. I think that is not as good as the Takumar Macro in any respect – except maximum aperture.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mflex-on wrote:
voytek wrote:
Looks like Tomioka Macro Yashinon 2.8/60 but design is different.

Well I don’t think they look the same. The Takumar has maximum aperture of 1:4 and has a focal lenght of 50mm. Filter diameter is 49 mm, it is a Tessar-style lens with 4 lenses in 3 groups.

Voitek, which data has this Tomioka Macro Yashinon 2.8/60?

Edit: Found an information about the Yashinon that it has 5 lenses. Must be very different to the Takumar.

I am confused now, because I responded to post with photos of macro lens similar to Tomioka design. Or I was dreaming? I don't see this post any more.
All Tomioka Yashinon look the same - information
I know difference between takumar and yashinon, have both.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voytek wrote:
I know difference between takumar and yashinon, have both.

Thanks Voitek for your answer - you know I was a little bit confued.

Cool to know that you have both, the 2.8/60 Yashinon and the 4/50 Tak. Which one do you prefer?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this old thread for the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 4/50.
Thought that I would use it instead of starting a new one.
Incidentally, I tried searching for a thread in the "Best of lenses" gallery and a 404 error came up - ???
Anyhoo, here are some samples.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And one that I have just taken.
I have never seen an insect like this before - perfectly camouflaged for living among eucalypt.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, I have both the 1:1 and the S-M-C 1:2 versions, both are very nice macros.