Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya Sekor 150mm f2.8 on Nikon D810
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Mamiya Sekor 150mm f2.8 on Nikon D810 Reply with quote

Since moving from canon to nikon, I only have a 55mm f2.8 micro nikkor to use. Works brilliantly well, but the distance from the end of the lens to the subject is tiny. Since I have a mamiya 645 extension tube and several lenses, I've dodged having to buy another macro for now as I can use the 150mm f2.8 with the tube to get closer than the normal 1.5m limit. (~55-60cm I reckon) The larger image circle means that the quality loss in the corners is cropped out. (similar to an FX lens on a DX camera but the crop factor is larger) I also have a 2x TC for it too which doubles the effective magnification, though the drop in quality even with the huge image circle is quite noticeable.

Here are a few taken with the 150 f2.8 A.
Grape hyacinth by --Kei--, on Flickr

Tulip by --Kei--, on Flickr

Tulip by --Kei--, on Flickr

Last edited by Kei on Wed May 13, 2015 9:18 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the first one. Smooth bokeh.
What would be the total magnification of the 150mm with the TC?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Bokeh is lovely on the 150 but not so great on the 80. I'm going to give the 210 a go at some point today and see how that fairs. Using an online calculator, it seems that magnification using just the no.3 tube (35.4mm) is 1:2.8. I've measured MFD at ~75-80cm and it calculated at 0.768. I'm not sure whether adding the TC makes this 1:1.4 or not as extension tubes seem to have an odd effect on magnification based on the calculator results.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't rely on online calculators.
The easiest method is to shoot a ruler in mm with the same rig that you're going to shoot with.
Then divide your sensor width to what you see on the ruler.
If you have a 36mm sensor and what you see on the ruler is 9mm then the magnification is X4.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave the 150 some more exercise this afternoon. Very pleased with how well the combination works.

Fronds by --Kei--, on Flickr

Garlic Chive by --Kei--, on Flickr

Bumble Bee by --Kei--, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more samples from this lovely lens. It's replaced my macro, 135 and 180mm lenses as I love the way this lens renders.

Without the extension tube.

Tulips by Kyle, on Flickr

Tulips by Kyle, on Flickr

Blossom by Kyle, on Flickr

Ridgeway by Kyle, on Flickr

Severn Estuary by Kyle, on Flickr

With 35.5mm extension tube.

Aquilegia by Kyle, on Flickr

Hoverfly by Kyle, on Flickr

Forget Me Not by Kyle, on Flickr

The Bee by Kyle, on Flickr