Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

B&W Squares. Open thread.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvelous shot, Rich.

I found a few more lurking in my archives. All of the shots are Tri-X developed in full strength D76.

The first shot is my workstation, circa 1989. Yashica Mat 124G.

This next one is a shot of some harbor traffic and other stuff at LA Harbor, San Pedro. The naval ship in the background (1055) is, or rather was, a frigate, the USS Hepburn. It was decommissioned in 1991, which was right about when this photo was taken, and sunk in 2002 for target practice. The camera was most likely a Zeiss Super Ikonta BX.

Flower arrangement on a dresser of some sort. Rolleiflex mx/evs with 3.5 Xenar.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r.reeder wrote:
Thanks. This was shot with an old 1948 Ciroflex on 21.Apr.2016, 1/50, f/7, with a yellow filter. That day was hot here in the Phoenix area, & my 2 year old grand-daughter wanted to cool down. Water was a good choice.

Great one! You captured a nice expression by your granddaughter.
Nice to see your old American TLR camera is still working.
I use my father's Argus C3 still, but of course it uses 35mm film.

Last edited by uddhava on Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ones Michael! Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lovely portrait of your daugter! Very Happy Thanks for sharing Rick!
..and wonderful nostalgic time jumps from your archives once again Michael! Great finds!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I'm glad I found this forum, & this thread. I've got several Ciroflex TLR's, & an Ikoflex IIA (the early one), that I use with B/W film. Mostly Ilford FP4+, but I'm also playing with Ilford PanF. I like the 6x6 format, but also 6x9 with a 1946 Kodak Medalist II, & a 1951 Agfa-Ansco Viking folder, not to mention a bunch of 35mm cameras. I develop the negs in HC-110, ('D'), then scan them, & run over to Walgreen's to print them. They go into the next vacant album, where the grandkids want to see them over & over again. They are my best audience.

This one was taken 24.May.2016, 1/50, f/5.6, with the Ciroflex. She didn't want me taking photos, so turned her back on me. It might be my favorite.

Again, thanks for the reviews. I've poured over the photos in this thread to see what makes them appealing, to attempt to incorporate that 'magic' into my own.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! It's so easy to understand why this pic is one your favourite with her. Smile Here's the magic and the story. Wonderful picture Rick! Thanks for sharing! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: 12.Nov.2012, 1/100, f/22, 1948 Ciroflex, at the range. Reply with quote

Here's another. We went shooting at an informal shooting range out by 4-Peaks. This is my daughter trying out her new .380. It looks like a good gun for her. Her 'bo', now husband, is in the BG. I used the Alphax Ciroflex, 1948 I think. It's sn 30333. Does anyone know of a sn database for these cameras?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot. Bersa Thunder .380?

I googled "alphax ciro-flex dates" and got some hits:

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Ciro-flex

http://pheugo.com/cameras/index.php?page=ciroflex

http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Ciro-Cameras/Ciroflex-B.html

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/cirotime.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, this thread somehow got neglected. What, no more love for black&white squares?

Personally I went into a different direction for a while but now after a long time I came back and I have a few more to share:

These were again shot on my trusty old Arax with its kit lens (Arsat 80/2.8 ). I exposed three rolls over a couple of days in a couple different locations. The film is Fuji Neopan Acros 100, this time developed in Adonal 1+25 for 6min 30s at 20°C. I wasn't very happy with the way the negatives turned out though. Way too dark and flat with many imprefections visible on the film. Maybe it was the developing process (I normally do stand development) or maybe I underexposed (bad metering and not enough comensation for the snow) or maybe it's a combination of both factors. On top of that my scanning was far from perfect as well. Anyway I then went quite liberal with the digital postprocessing to try and at least get something half decent out of them. I increased the contrast, raised the whites and this is what came out. I actually quite like the end result despite the less than perfect negatives. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Very well done, Miran. I like these trees...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I scrounged through the images I have online to see what I could add that I haven't added already. Some of the images you might recognize from previous postings in other threads.

Yashica Mat 124G

Zeiss Super Ikonta BX

Rolleiflex 3.5 Tessar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Excellent series, Michael.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Well, I scrounged through the images I have online to see what I could add that I haven't added already. Some of the images you might recognize from previous postings in other threads.

Nice shots. But I think you forgot to desaturate a few of them. And at least one should be cropped a bit. I don't mean to be disrespectful but this thread's title and opening post do call for BLACKAND WHITE SQUARES. Colour rectangles fall short of this requirement on two points. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
What, no more love for black&white squares?

Great images! Love them!

Here's one of our dogs, shot with Fodorflex II (Topcon) TLR on Ilford Delta 100 Pro.

Fay by René Maly, on Flickr

And one with a plastic Diana F+ camera on Kodak TMax 400

Sky high by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, what a nice doggy. Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Oh, what a nice doggy. Smile

+1

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Miran and Spleenone!