Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

bubbles at -20C
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: bubbles at -20C Reply with quote

1) all images shot with Bellows Takumar 100/4 at f/8 or so.

I saw this online and tried it for myself. If you've got the weather I strongly encourage you to try this even if you don't bother to photograph, it's fascinating to watch the ice crystals slowly form across the bubbles, even as they float in midair.

Find a spot with no wind, they shatter as easily as you'd expect.

2) The smallest breath cuts them like a blowtorch.

3)

4) Sometimes stuff looks cooler after you wreck it.

I found the round bubbles look better in real life than in photos (shallow DoF) so I did some flat ones that do look nice in photos.

5)

6)

7)

Question

What I'd like feedback about is - I've cranked the contrast and sharpening much more than usual, trying to bring out the subtle patterns of the crystals. Is it overdone?

Also, does anyone else feel that the flat ones photograph better than the round ones?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it works as you need to see the detail,but I am no expert. For what its worth what a great experiment and thanks for showing it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need more dof? Use f/22 Wink That lens can do it fine! Sure the crystals are showing better in the flat images however the bubble is relative invisible -- I like the 3-D images better to see what is subject.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last one in the set is the most effective for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are all GREAT Photos !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love seeing the bubbles change at those temp but have never been able to photograph them properly
Well done