Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD 28mm F2 opinions.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Minolta MD 28mm F2 opinions. Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

Recently a Minolta 28MM F2 came up on the markets here, it's going for a decent price and was wondering if anyone has some incite to this lens. There are a couple of reviews up online, but nothing too conclusive about it.

Seems to be a decent lens in most opinions, but what I want to put it up against is the Nikkor O 35mm F2, I have the Nikkor and the Minolta 28mm 2.5, but I don't really use the 28mm 2.5 all to often, don't get me wrong its a great lens but the DOF on it isnt anything extreme and I land up using the kit zoom instead, and I have an Olympus 24mm 2.8 so between the the 24 and 35mm lenses I have I decided to rather part ways with it.

The Nikkor I do use quite a bit and like it but would like something a bit wider and the 28mm on APC is a bit more favorable at 42mm's, can someone give me some idea of what i could expect of the minolta in regards to close up work and the DOF in comparison to the Nikkor, I know they are different focal lengths but don't want 2 lenses in similar lengths and don't want to have to spend the additional funds if it really wouldn't be worth it.

Regards and many thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring your camera and lenses out and test it yourself.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed yes Calvin, I have been focusing more on using my kit than building my collection, stripped away some of the extra fat;). I was thinking of asking him if I could loan it before purchasing, even though I know the guy, i'm not sure he will allow me to keep it for a while.

The oof areas i have seen on the pictures available are quite nice, a bit better than the nikkor in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things like out of focus effects are really quite subjective assessments - what I like may not please you. But I wonder, if you don't use your 25/2.5 very much, where actually would be the benefit in getting the 28/2 Rokkor? Wide open, it will have more depth of field than your 35mm, and less than your 24mm. In addition, f2 is only around a half stop faster than f2.5, so not much gain in low light capability. If you really don;t use the 28mm lens very much, it's hard to see how the Rokkor would usefully add to your armoury of lenses. But having said that, aren't those fast wide angles seductively attractive? Wink If it's cheaply priced, I'd go for it and see how I got on with it.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not badly priced at $140, but like you said fast wides are very seductive Smile

We had on offer here the zeiss 32mm 1.8 for around $400 for the sony and I was planning on saving up a bit to get it and sell off the 28mm and 35mm lenses i had but the price shot up an extra $150 so I decided to leave it be. I do like the nikkor as its got a good combination of dof and sharpness at F2.

the Dof is a very important attribute for me when choosing lenses, and I would agree with you that the 35mm will have a thinner DOF, so I think I should leave sleeping dogs lie with the 28mm. My Olympus is pretty much going to be my last wide angle MF lens, they start getting quite difficult to hit correct focus at this level for me to do quickly.

I converted the olympus to a tilt and swivel lens (the base had been originally removed from the guy i purchased it from) so it gets loads of use and it's fun to use.

thanks for the input, it's much appreciated Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Minolta 28mm/2.0 much. I think ~1 stop, or 2/3 stop faster is a big positive thing. Difference between sharp or unsharp due to camera motion blur. Or the possibility to use the smaller DOF if wanted / usefull.
I do have other lenses around 28-35mm, like such a Nikon 35mm/2 and Zeiss 35mm/1.4 - but the Minolta is more often in my camera bag. The Zeiss is probably better, and is even faster - but the weight and size is also much more.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Rokkor-X 28/2 and MC 28/2.5, I much prefer the 28/2.5, the X-Fujinon 28/1.9 is one of my new favourites, I am seriously tempted by the CV21/1.8... Must resist.
What you really need is the FD 24/1.4L or FD 24/2 if the $ of the L is too high.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I am seriously tempted by the CV21/1.8... Must resist.

I looked also more detailed for this lens. However, the weight and size of it made my decision clear to leave it. I have a comparable CV monster namely the 28/1.9 and that is the lens which stays always at home for handling reasons. Therefore I prefer to stick with my CV 21/4 lens and do not want to tripple the weight and size. In general I do not find it that important for wide angles to be that fast. However, that is mainly a matter of taste. My fastest lens in this range is presently the Minolta 20mm/F2.8. That's good enough for me.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again for all the input from everyone, I was quite surprised by your comment lightshow regarding your preference of the 2.5 out of the 2.

if money wasn't a question I would probably be drowning in lenses;) but I am quite restrictive when it comes to keeping kit for myself or reselling.

I still have some amazon vouchers that I never got around to using, so I might go ahead and get the Sony 35mm 1.8 or I was thinking a speed booster is also an option, but I'm not too comfortable with the idea but some of the images I've seen are very promising.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Nikkor 28mm f2 AIS, and I find it very reliable. Nice and sharp at f2 (at least over the important parts of the frame), very solid, and excellent close focus - which really gives scope for background blur.
As far as I can see, most wide angles of this era have "busy" or "interesting" bokeh, unlike the expensive fast wides available today. The Nikkor is not buttery smooth, but sometimes the results can be quite painterly:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/42858104@N08/14043026160/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/42858104@N08/13934561548/

Hints of spherical aberration in the bokeh highlights perhaps?

The Nikkor will never be a bargain, as they are sought after by FF Nikon users, but still good value I think.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layer-cake wrote:
thanks again for all the input from everyone, I was quite surprised by your comment lightshow regarding your preference of the 2.5 out of the 2.

if money wasn't a question I would probably be drowning in lenses;) but I am quite restrictive when it comes to keeping kit for myself or reselling.

I still have some amazon vouchers that I never got around to using, so I might go ahead and get the Sony 35mm 1.8 or I was thinking a speed booster is also an option, but I'm not too comfortable with the idea but some of the images I've seen are very promising.

I love the rokkor 2.5/28 too, but I don't have the f2, so I can't compare but I must say that, except for flare resistance, it's one of the very best 28's I own.

I recently got a speed booster (zhongyi, version I with the red writing, sr mount), and I have mixed feelings about it: sometimes it's ok, with minimum quality loss abundantly compensated by the change in field of view, sometimes images look plain awful: I still have to understand if it depends on the lens I'm using it with, or on shooting conditions - probably both.
The images I shot with the speed booster and the rokkor f2.5 look good, but light conditions weren't very stressing for the lens, so I should run some more specific tests on it to have a more definitive opinion about that.

However I paid mine like 60 euros, and if you find a used one for that kind of money it's a no brainer, imho.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm i have the 3.5 MC and it is wonderful! perhaps a thread on minolta 28's is in order??

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to all my 28/2.5 shots I have uploaded:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/tags/rokkormc2825/
And my favorite of the bunch:

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for taking so long to get back to you all, work stuff.....

But many thanks for the input, and I do agree Aanything, this is actually my favorite 28mm lens, I've through quite a few and this is the one I have always stuck with. I really have started considering getting the lens turbo II, prices are good and the reviews are quite promising.

I must also say as i was using MFT bodies before, the higher iso capabilities on the Nex are really good, the difference is crazy in low light shots, even the standard zoom can be used in the late evening photos quite well, so the thought of that with a speed booster is kinda daunting.

Lightshow, the pictures are great, really like the ones taken at dusk, the colour really shines through this lens, the ones taken in the stronger light are what I have been mainly used to, but I think I am going to hold onto the lens and try to use it more for the late evening shots. I have so much stock to sell off, keeping this for a couple of months won't hurt

Bassilisk, yeah nikon even manages to keep it's value down here well, I got lucky with the 35mm i have and the 28mm minolta, picked them up for $20 each