Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 105mm f2.8 T mount m42 a short review
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Vivitar 105mm f2.8 T mount m42 a short review Reply with quote

Pros: sharp, nice focal length for portraits, great colours, small, quite fast
Cons: flare
Sharpness:8 Aberrations: 10 Bokeh: 8 Handling: 10 Value: 10
This lens was bought recently in NZ as a second portrait lens. It was a risk because I could find no formal reviews on the net, but at 50 NZD the lens has earnt a place in my collection within 24 hours of use.

The lens is well made, compact, lightweight. Its an all metal M42 version of the Vivitar T4 series, and although not a series 1, it is a quality offering.
Wide open it is soft but soon sharpens up. By f5.6 it is sharp - corner to corner. There is no percptible CA and the colours are lovely. They are Takumar SMC like but somewhat warmer.
The lens has 8 blades giving a pleasing bokeh but not up to the creamy smoothness of say a 16 blade iris.
The lens has a small built in lens hood which is not enough to prevent quite invasive flare which does not require much provocation. That is the main weakness.
I will be using this lens for portrait work.

Great colours

Portrait slightly stopped down

Soft Wide Open

Crop of above

Sharp at f8

Crop of above

Nice bokeh

Flare

Last edited by MalcolmL on Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:24 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks ok, but I'm not sure of the 10 for sharpness. The crop at F8 is acceptable, but I wouldn't say sharp. You say it flares; do you have an example of the flare?

I assume by the serial number that it's a Tokina made lens

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: sharpness Reply with quote

Guess should give it a 9 no probably just 8 for sharpness . Its not at all bad at 3.5. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lovely little lens which produces good results.
This lens would appear to be somewhat uncommon, but it is well worth hunting down if you are after a short telephoto
Here are some recent images from it
T

Crop from above

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it at least as good as the S-M-C Takumar 105, which is not the sharpest Takumar.
I need to dig mine out for another run.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you say it would compare to a Tamron Adaptall SP 90/2.5 macro?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coase wrote:
How would you say it would compare to a Tamron Adaptall SP 90/2.5 macro?

I do not have the Tamron, but everything that I have seen tells me that the Tamron is sharper.
The Vivitar would excel as a portrait lens and for general short tele use.
T

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With respect:

"Vivitar 105mm f2.8 T mount m42 a short review"

My view is that your lens is NOT a T mount lens. I think your lens is either a T4 lens, or possibly a TX lens, made by Tokina. The Tokina-made Vivitar T4 and (later) TX lenses are not T mount lenses.

Vivitar did offer a series of even earlier preset lenses, in T mount. I have never seen a 105mm lens of that type in that series, though certainly one might exist.

Regardless, I believe your lens is an automatic lens within the T4 or a TX system, not T mount.

ETA

After further review I find your statement acknowledging your lens is a T4 lens. So perhaps your title is no more than a typo? I dunno. But you did catch my attention. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coase...It doesn't Rolling Eyes