Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super-Takumar 50mm 1.4 8 element
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Super-Takumar 50mm 1.4 8 element Reply with quote

Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 8 element version

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! I must start using my Takumars again. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very nice result from a very nice lens. Well taken.
I used mine today and if you don't mind, I'll add some images here instead of starting a new thread.

@1.4

@f2.8

@f5.6

Can't remember but probably f2.8

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Super-Takumar 50mm 1.4 8 element Reply with quote

Great work Smile This is my favorite lens, after Apo El Nikkor and Visionar. It is my friend's simple test 7 and 8 elements versions. The description is in Polish, but you can compare images:

http://my.pentax.org.pl/czacha/TAKUMAR_OSIEM.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dog Like 1 small Laugh 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Super-Takumar 50mm 1.4 8 element Reply with quote

Kamosor wrote:
Great work Smile This is my favorite lens, after Apo El Nikkor and Visionar. It is my friend's simple test 7 and 8 elements versions. The description is in Polish, but you can compare images:

First time that I see a comparison like that. The 8-element version has such fame that I thought it would make the 7-element version look bad. However, the results of this comparison surprised me. Thank you for sharing this article.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comparison. Gives me headache.. Smile I have the 8-element, now I wonder if I should get the 7..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Super-Takumar 50mm 1.4 8 element Reply with quote

invisible wrote:
Kamosor wrote:

First time that I see a comparison like that. The 8-element version has such fame that I thought it would make the 7-element version look bad. However, the results of this comparison surprised me. Thank you for sharing this article.

some say the 8 element had better wide open sharpness, others disagree. Some say the 8 element has more beautiful bokeh, others disagree. All say the the S-M-C has better coating and better flare resistance Smile
imo the 8 element is a very special lens that can give something extra but the later 7 element versions, specially the S-M-C and SMC, are more versatile.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: There are some 8 element Super Takumar's for sale on ebay right now.
Wait a minute, there is like 16 for sale right now, I don't recall seeing this many up for sale when I was looking for mine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Edit: There are some 8 element Super Takumar's for sale on ebay right now.
Wait a minute, there is like 16 for sale right now, I don't recall seeing this many up for sale when I was looking for mine.

There are 97 Super-Takumar 50mm f1.4 lenses on ebay at the moment.
The vast majority are seven element lenses with the eight element ones at the expensive end of the list.
It might be worth trolling through all of them to see if an eight element lens was not properly identified, but for the comparative results of both, the seven element is the better value as it is so hard to distinguish images taken by one from the other.
The eight element lens is desired for its rarity and the fact that it was so expensive (reputedly) for Pentax to produce, that they modified the lens to seven elements once its reputation was established.
Funnily enough I have owned two eight element lenses that were attached to spotmatics, and were acquired very cheaply before the craze to own one took off. I have also never owned a seven element version so can't comment on a direct comparison for myself - only going on the reports of others.
I have long since sold one of the eight element lenses, but am happy to keep the one that I have.
It is of course a lovely lens and a pleasure to use.
By comparison the 55mm f1.8 is an absolute bargain as its results are quite awesome -
T