Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lighting To Improve Facial Characteristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Lighting To Improve Facial Characteristics Reply with quote

Dear all,

I am starting this to allow a discussion on my most common problem I have to face when shooting.

Most subjects complain about a specific facial characteristic and I am always try to think what to change to "hide" problems.

In my last scenario I was given only 5 minutes to take few portraits shots for a corporate type of shooting. My subject knew that I am very new into this but he explained me that anyhow his colleagues for corporate shots have in best case a point and shoot camera type of shoot.

I said ok, since I am always in for any practice.

These are the four bests I was able to give him after this short shooting period.

(I think my best is the #2).

After I returned the shots I got two comments

1. "Oh Shit one eye is larger than the other." I think that the problem is on the eye lid... I have spent some time trying to think how I can improve that with light.. but I have got no good alternative. I know that I can put the larger eye away from the camera but then I always run with the troubles with the overall posing... changing the posture to keep the masculine pose

2. He also commented about his nose. He has this bump since he was a boy but he thinks that shows overly large. If I had more time I would like to try either to light up more the nose or use some shadows.. Although both changes would alter completely the nature and the idea I had for the lighting (broad light for a corporate shot).

How do you react at such cases? How easily you change your lighting gear and what you leave for post processing?

Regards

Alex

--
“The fact is that relatively few photographers ever master their medium. Instead they allow the medium to master them and go on an endless squirrel cage chase from new lens to new paper to new developer to new gadget, never staying with one piece of equipment long enough to learn its full capacities, becoming lost in a maze of technical information that is of little or no use since they don’t know what to do with it”
(written at 1927 by Edward Weston)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) the shorter the focal length, the more prominet his hoker gets. Choose a longer one.
2) basicall the same applies to eyes. IF he really has different eye sizes (quite common), have the smaller one face the camera if possible.

Just my 2cts.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To solve the eyes issue (frankly I didn't even notice) you could just mirror the whole light and pose setup.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the answers..
two side comments.

1. I am typically limited in shooting on-site meaning that typically I shot inside offices where the size is limited and I can not really go any further at distance. 75mm looks to be my working lens 90% of the time

2. I can put the "bad" eye away from the lens but to be honest I never notice these things. I put 99% of my energy on relaxing my subject and keep him/her motivated as needed

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I hadn't noticed anything until your comment on the eye and nose. Kinda like #4... a hint of a smile?