Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Primoplan 75mm f1.9 as soft focus lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Meyer Primoplan 75mm f1.9 as soft focus lens Reply with quote

Today I found my perfect soft focus lens , I never seen similar great result before from any dedicated soft focus lens.

Lens is perfect soft focus lesns wide open and a bit overexpose frame. Nice sharp with still awesome bokeh (not visible on these pictures ) from F2.8

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results, as usual Attila!

I guess the resolution is there, sharpness suffers due to the bright sun ,hence the glow...
Difficult conditions for this highly regarded lens.
But quite expensive these days to use as soft focus lens
Very Happy

Rado

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another beautiful result.
Bokeh is sublime and your model is lovely.
OH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!! Lens is dramatically sharper one stop down, with back light , bokeh can be awesome. For casual shoots this lens not perform enough well I think this is main reason why sold in so limited amount. Simple wasn't an option vs Biotar 75mm from Zeiss.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience, Meyer chromes lenses perform best when the light is sufficient. You have prove it by showing a wonderful portrait. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting results. not sure If I would say I would play the $1600-2000 for a lens with the look. But that's me a as a Hobby shooter. It looks like a beautiful lens from the pictures on ebay.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very nice!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Meyer Primoplan 75mm f1.9 as soft focus lens Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Today I found my perfect soft focus lens , I never seen similar great result before from any dedicated soft focus lens.

Lens is perfect soft focus lesns wide open and a bit overexpose frame. Nice sharp with still awesome bokeh (not visible on these pictures ) from F2.8

Superb pictures of a gorgeous model taken with a great lens, Attila! Thank you for sharing them.

The rendering reminds me of the pictures taken by Jim Galli with his Pinkham & Smith lenses on large format cameras, sharp but not too much, with a beautiful glow:

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Pinkham-Smith/VisualQualitySeriesIV/14No.3SeriesIV/EddiesNo3SerieIV.html

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/38Fordy/12-18-14PinkhamBi_BnLTessar300/12-18-14PinkhamBi_BnLTessar300.html

Unfortunately, the Primoplan as well as the Pinkham & Smith lenses are outrageously priced for us mere mortals... Crying or Very sad

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful photo, lens gives a very surreal dream like effect.
Are there any cheaper lenses that could give a similar look? Other lenses that you have used?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gorgeous Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Are there any cheaper lenses that could give a similar look? Other lenses that you have used?

Can I reccommend you try the Prakticar 50mm f1.8? On a crop sensor it is equivalent size, and it s magically glowy wide open.
I have never used it for a similar portrait style, but it may perform as a soft lens...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
uddhava wrote:

Can I reccommend you try the Prakticar 50mm f1.8? On a crop sensor it is equivalent size, and it s magically glowy wide open.
I have never used it for a similar portrait style, but it may perform as a soft lens...

Thank you. That is a possibility.
I have the Pentacon 50mm f1.8 which I think gives the same effect wide open as well as my Pentacon 100mm f2.8.
I probably have a few more that would give a similar effect. Also Attila overexposed his shot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Abbaz for given samples and to all of your for comments.
Soft focus is pretty hard with cheap lenses, but if you find a lens where is dirt, scratches are well balanced , may you can find a cheap lens what give effect pretty close to this one. I have an 1947 ZK 5cm lens (dirty , scratched ) and rare too Sad what give nice soft focus effect well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rudolf this is not soft focus look, may soft wide open , but glow and soft balance is not same.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this information Attila. I might have a lens that will fit that description.
Could the same effect be achieved with a treated filter?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Thank you for this information Attila. I might have a lens that will fit that description.
Could the same effect be achieved with a treated filter?

Try it out , I don't know really.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that I would try my Revuenon 1.2/55 to see how it compared.
Unfortunately I do not have a beautiful model to work with so here are some pics of vegetation.
It is not the same result but could be pleasing nonetheless.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Rudolf this is not soft focus look, may soft wide open , but glow and soft balance is not same.

Yes I understand that, but since the Prakticar is a £10 lens it may be worth seeing what results one can get with glowy portraits nonetheless. I am certainly curious Very Happy