Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

TTArtisan 100mm 2.8 test
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: TTArtisan 100mm 2.8 test Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

For a short moment yesterday there were optimal conditions for bubble bokeh so I took some quick test shots.

This kind of shots usually require some level of editing to make them come out good and this lens was no exception. So I have done that but I will also upload some straight out of camera versions.

So far it looks like a good choice for someone who wants easy bubble bokeh and wants a new lens. The DIY option for projector lenses is still good for those who prefer that rout. But if an old original Trioplan it too expensive just as the new ones look no further.

Without direct comparison I get the feeling that the soap bubble rings are slightly weaker than those from my Diaplan. I will compare later to see if that is true.

I can recommend a long hood to reduce flare and a plastic cap, the original one is metal screw on that is not very practical in the field.

I'm happy with the level of center sharpness.

#2 Straight out of camera

#5 SOOC

#6 An example of flare even though the sun is not close to the frame.

#8 SOOC

#11 SOOC

#17 SOOC with hand shade

#18 SOOC without hand shade

#19 100% crop

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to see some samples that actually relate to how most people would use this lens, gives much better idea. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Friends

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
It's nice to see some samples that actually relate to how most people would use this lens, gives much better idea. Thanks!

Thank you, hopefully it can bu useful information for those who like to shoot in this style.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some cool shots, thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soap bubble comparison.

I have never compared before.

These are led lights, I lost the exact focus point in the middle of the test.

#1 TTArtisan 100mm

#2 Diaplan 100mm

#3 Triplet-5 100mm

#4 Zettar 100mm

#5 Splendar 100mm

#6 Edar 100mm

#7 Primotar 135mm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edar 100mm Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, but.... nothing beats an original.
there is this little "something" no other lens can do...
original Trioplan 100mm 2,8 wide open

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some awesome pictures of both lenses! To really compare them, you'd have to shoot the same picture with both lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Some awesome pictures of both lenses! To really compare them, you'd have to shoot the same picture with both lenses.

Yes!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

planet.groove wrote:
sorry, but.... nothing beats an original.
there is this little "something" no other lens can do...

I totally agree with you. There is some subtle difference that is difficult to describe in words.
I have had several copies of Trioplan 100, so I feel this difference well. I don't want to say that the new lens is worse. He's just a little different.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that there are subtle difference when I look at the sample photos on the official site. I don't know if it is related to the post processing or different camera/camera settings or the optically formulation. Out of the three copies Trioplan 100 I tried, the two chrome version are similar with slightly different glow at the wide open. The uncoated 4 inch cine version has different color compare to other two. I prefer the color of the cine version over the other two.

http://forum.mflenses.com/meyer-gorlitz-trioplan-100mm-f2-8-red-v-on-a7r-ii-t79348,highlight,%2Btrioplan.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/meyer-gorlitz-trioplan-100mm-f2-8-red-v-on-nex-5n-part-ii-t74148,highlight,%2Btrioplan.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/meyer-gorlitz-trioplan-100mm-f2-8-red-v-on-nex-5n-t71502,highlight,%2Btrioplan.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/meyer-trioplan-4-inch-f2-8-cine-on-a7rii-t81129,highlight,%2Btrioplan.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTArtisan is a lens that can be taken into account. The old trioplanes are at a hefty price, many not properly maintained. The so-called new Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan is at an absurdly ridiculous price, so the lens in the title of this thread is the only option for a new lens with these characteristics, at a decent price. From what you have presented here, the differences between the various lenses are quite subtle. I still admit that I would like to have an Edar lens, but it is not really available to buy. Thanks for the comparative images posted here.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I noticed is that the contrast of the TTA is a bit stronger, or different compared to a Diaplan, which may or may not be the same optically as a Trioplan. No one has tested this yet as far as I know, it's just claims.

I was happily content with the Diaplan's performance that's very close or identical to a real Trioplan. I still think I like Diaplan bubbles a bit more so far. But having an aperture sure is useful.

Anyway I think it's good to have a cheaper option for those who can't afford the real deal.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
TTArtisan is a lens that can be taken into account. The old trioplanes are at a hefty price, many not properly maintained. The so-called new Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan is at an absurdly ridiculous price, so the lens in the title of this thread is the only option for a new lens with these characteristics, at a decent price. From what you have presented here, the differences between the various lenses are quite subtle. I still admit that I would like to have an Edar lens, but it is not really available to buy. Thanks for the comparative images posted here.

Thanks!

Yes I agree about the prices. I might have paid up if there were no other choices like projector lenses but they get so close so cheaply and I like shooting more than collecting so it was an easy choice back then. I'd love to have a Trioplan 100mm, I was once offered to buy one for the same price as the TTArtisan but it had a big scratch in the front element and I turned it down.

The LZK Edar was not easy to find, I had to contact a polish woman in polish to get it. The rings it makes are very good but overall contrast is low so it's a bit more challenging to use. I'd recommend a Diaplan or Pentacon AV more.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
One thing I noticed is that the contrast of the TTA is a bit stronger, or different compared to a Diaplan, which may or may not be the same optically as a Trioplan. No one has tested this yet as far as I know, it's just claims.

the most disappointing aspect from TTA is its color rendition which might be resulted from environmental restriction that prevents from adding certain elements into optical material for all modern lens.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somflor wrote:
blotafton wrote:

the most disappointing aspect from TTA is its color rendition

What do you mean by that? A color cast, or the low contrast visible in some of the images?

somflor wrote:
which might be resulted from environmental restriction that prevents from adding certain elements into optical material for all modern lens.

I highly doubt it. Unless you're talking about glass containing thorium (yellow-browni, there's no visible difference between e. g. Pb or Cd conainig glasses and their newer substitutes.

S

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somflor wrote:
blotafton wrote:

the most disappointing aspect from TTA is its color rendition which might be resulted from environmental restriction that prevents from adding certain elements into optical material for all modern lens.

You should be happy with the lenses from Light Lens Lab as they said that they use lead glass in their lenses.

For a simplet triple, I doubt there will be any difference if it is made with glass with lead or not. The coating may be more important. My uncoated trioplan shows better color than my coated trioplan although the uncoated lens has less contrast.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can recommend the latest version of the Original - the black Trioplan N 100mm 2,8 for Exakta. Contrast and flare resistance are better than of the silver versions. It has not only a new barrel, but also better glass sorts (and only six blades).
some info here:
https://zeissikonveb.de/start/objektive/normalobjektive/trioplan.html
you can still buy a good copy on ebay germany (auction) for under 200 euros.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first impression was that the colors were more or less natural unlike for example Samyang.

I have a fixed custom white balance that may not be perfect but I like it as a base for further editing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

planet.groove wrote:
i can recommend the latest version of the Original - the black Trioplan N 100mm 2,8 for Exakta. Contrast and flare resistance are better than of the silver versions. It has not only a new barrel, but also better glass sorts (and only six blades).
some info here:
https://zeissikonveb.de/start/objektive/normalobjektive/trioplan.html
you can still buy a good copy on ebay germany (auction) for under 200 euros.

Thanks for the info! I would like to have one too. It may be interesting if the diaplan 100/2.8 are also made with the new glass. BTW, the nd/vd of the SF 17 glass of the Trioplan N is very close to the SF2 from Schott which is a very commonly used dense flint.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more.

#7 It was a bit difficult to nail infinity with the short throw. f/5.6 or 8

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Friends

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A youtube comparison between the Trioplan and the Ttartisan:
https://youtu.be/UVfy-F1ze9c

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Soap bubble comparison.

I have never compared before.

These are led lights, I lost the exact focus point in the middle of the test.

#1 TTArtisan 100mm

Being a new lens, I've expected not to see dust inside the bokeh balls, so I thought it might be dust from the sensor, but the black dots don't respect same pattern in all other images