Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What to buy
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: What to buy Reply with quote

Hi

I've been very busy with life so haven't been around or photographing for some time, but I'm hoping things will get back to normal soon and I can dig the camera gear out and start clicking away.

I currently have a Canon 60D and Samsung NX10 with various AF and MF lenses, and if I'm honest I always gravitate to the NX10 as it's much more portable.

The 60D was bought for video work primarily, but I now no longer do that freelance so it barely gets used as I find it cumbersome.

The plan is to sell the 60D + 17-70 Sigma and sell the NX10 to fund a new camera.

I like the NX10 but it's painfully slow sometimes.

What I'd like is something similar in size to the NX10, just a little bit faster.

Any suggestions?

Is the NX20 or NX30 a big step up in speed (I'd still be able to use my Samsung AF lenses) or is the Alpha 6000 a better bet (will cost me more in lenses).

I'd like - EVF, APS-C and smaller than a DSLR. Video would be a bonus.

Thanks

Last edited by Alternate Internet ID on Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with the Sony A6000 today. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-a6000

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a Fuji X serie ?

Last edited by Olivier on Wed May 13, 2015 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the NX20 but right now I`m thinking about switching to the Fuji system. They have amazing discounts on the older X-E1`s or X-m1`s so I`m thinking I`ll get one to be my second camera and when the prices for the X-E2 drop, I`ll sell of both my NX20 and the fuji and get it.
The NX20 is a very nice camera, but I would only recommend it to those who don`t want to use MF lenses on them. I do not see many problems with native lenses, a part from slower AF when it comes to very low light conditions or fast moving objects. The only reason I considered the NX20 was that it had 3 elements that I wanted from a camera: APS-C sensor, EVF and a good price ( paid ~500 usd for mine ). Now I`m thinking about the X-M1 since it comes with 16-50, 50-230 and the 27mm lenses and costs only 600usd, so you get the camera for only 1/3 of the actual price Smile .
The NX30 is a very nice camera and on paper it demolishes the X-E1 and is very equal to A6000, but it has it`s quirks. At this point the price should be the main concern. You can get the Samsung way cheaper than the A6000 and since you already have lenses for it, you can have a very nice and cheap set.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Fuji-X.
I got a second hand X-E1 with the very good zoomlens 18-55mm f2.8-4.
It is very well done and works fine with all sorts of MF Lenses.
Very good IQ too.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you said you like APS-C but I think micro four thirds might be worth considering too.
The sensors not too much smaller & there is a good range of native lenses as well as the option to adapt just about anything else.

It certainly gives you smaller than DSLR & video, most models have an EVF & I think auxillary EVFs are available for all the others.

I think the IQ & low light capability of the latest models beat my slightly older DSLR, though dynamic range may still be slightly inferior.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest plan is for the X-Pro1.
It does everything I want and need and was the right size for my hands.
Current bundles have the 18 and 27mm and a free case.
With the selling of unused gear I should end up with the Fuji 35mm, possibly the short zoom (for the family) and still have more money in my pocket.
There's a strong possibility I may be leaving my lenses behind! (except a 90mm)

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good plan for sure.

I hesitated between X-Pro1 and X-E1 and finally chose X-E1 because of the cost difference for same spécifications except the mixed optical/electronic viewfinder only present on X-Pro1.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drack wrote:

The NX20 is a very nice camera, but I would only recommend it to those who don`t want to use MF lenses on them.

Why? If you don't mind.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Drack wrote:

The NX20 is a very nice camera, but I would only recommend it to those who don`t want to use MF lenses on them.

Why? If you don't mind.

The camera seems to get lost with the exposure when using MF lenses. Especially if your using faster optics. I often find myself having to correct the exposure by 6-7 stops even. Also, there is no focus peaking.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drack wrote:
uddhava wrote:
Drack wrote:

Why? If you don't mind.

The camera seems to get lost with the exposure when using MF lenses. Especially if your using faster optics. I often find myself having to correct the exposure by 6-7 stops even. Also, there is no focus peaking.

Thank you.