Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zenit SLR M39 lens to rangefinder L39 via extension tube?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Zenit SLR M39 lens to rangefinder L39 via extension tube? Reply with quote

I recently bought a silver Helios 44 at a flea market. As I discovered afterwards, it has the curious Russian M39 mount for some Zenit SLRs, which is physically compatible with the usual rangefinder leica thread (screw?) mount, but with a much longer register distance (based on some internet research most likely 45.2mm, whereas the "usual" distance for rangefinders is 28.8mm).

Now what I was wondering is - for use with a digital mirrorless camera, of course I could try to look for a special Zenit M39-M42 adapter which I believe exists, but wouldn't it perhaps be simpler to just add an extension tube to the LTM adapter I already have, to make up for the missing distance?

In fact I found a listing on eBay for a tube with precisely the right length (28.8+16.4=45.2).

I just want to make sure before I click the buy button: is there any reason this wouldn't work?

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a MIR-1 and Helios 44 with the same issue. M39 thread mount but not Leica compatible. The solution on mine was to get a simple m39-m42 step up ring and use a standard M42 adapter.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both versions will work. Actually the mid size ring of the standard Russian 3 ring set M39 is exactly the right ring (16,4mm) to use M39/Zenit lenses on a M39/LTM camera as e.g. the Zorki or any other RF camera in Leica standard.
I've just checked that with my MIR-1 on the GXR-M.
Especially the smallest ring of that set (7mm) is very usable for closer focus with LTM lenses as their minimum focus distance is rather long.
My ring set comes from FED.

Here would be the right one (actually 4 ring set): http://www.ebay.at/itm/FED-Macro-Extension-Tubes-Set-of-4-rings-with-M39-screwmount-FED-Zorki-Leica-NEW-/391058600385?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b0ce8b1c1

Cheaper than your offer.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my own. But you can get one in a set of adapters such as this - cheaper too Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios 44 register's 45.5mm... Cool

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mir 1 and jupiter 11, and also stack m39- m42 and m42- eos adapters. The mir 1 works great but the jupiter 11 miss infinity by a hair, focus is about 20-30 meters out. What to do?

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
I have a mir 1 and jupiter 11, and also stack m39- m42 and m42- eos adapters. The mir 1 works great but the jupiter 11 miss infinity by a hair, focus is about 20-30 meters out. What to do?

Maybe the M42 adapter is incorrect. The Mir-1 (wide angle) isn't as critical compared to Jupiter 11 (tele lens). So the question is whether the Jupiter focuses beyond infinity or does'n even reach infinity. If you check that, I can tell you what do do.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to what I've read, Russian M39 SLRs and lenses were made with both 45.2mm and 45.5mm register distances. I have reason to believe that mine is 45.2mm (it came attached to a body which is purported to have that specification:). It seems easily conceivable that adapting a 45.2mm lens to M42 (which is 45.5mm) will cause it to fall just short of infinity focus - although some M42 adapters seem to be deliberately shorter than the spec (at least on mine, all of my lenses focus past infinity), so it's possible that with some luck, the two would cancel out and it would work out fine. But this is another reason why the extension tube solution is more appealing to me: it seems like less of a gamble. Thanks for the comments!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the m42 - eos adapter might indeed be the issue. A helios 44-2 can just barely overshoot infinity on it. Thanks.