Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica R + Lens Turbo...not working
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Leica R + Lens Turbo...not working Reply with quote

Took a couple of pics early this morning to test my freshly assembled configuration for the Sony A6000:

Leica Summilux-R 50 1.4 E55
+
Leica R to Canon EOS adapter
+
Canon EF to Sony E Lens Turbo mkII

To my biggest surprise (and disappointment), there is no focus at infinite. It felt like using M42 lenses on Nikon body through lensless adpaters, where only macroing was possible.

What am I missing ? I have another Lens Turbo mkII (M42->Sony E) and it works just fine. Is it a problem of the lens ? Or maybe the Leica to Canon adapter ?

I'm waiting for a Nikon to Canon adapter to test my Samyang 85 1.4, will see if that one works.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess that the R to EOS adapter acts like a spacer, which costs you your infinity focus. If you would use a Lens Turbo for Leica R, this would work.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Leica R needs a spacer to work on Canon EOS, since there is a 3mm difference in terms of flange focal distance (Leica has 47mm while Canon has 44mm).

So there should be no loss of infinity focus.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should work...
Have you tested the LT with other lenses for infinity?
My Speed Booster (Leica R) has an adjustment for infinity at the back of the adapter. When it came, new from factory, the infinity was way out with all lenses but after I made the adjustment everything is O.K. now.

Last edited by dan_ on Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
It should work...
Have you tested the LT with other lenses for infinity?
My Speed Booster (Leica R) has an adjustment for infinity at the back of the adapter. When it came, mew from factory, the infinity was way out with all lenses but after I made the adjustment everything is O.K. now.

Not yet, I'll test it with a Nikon lens as soon as I get the Nikon->Canon adapter

Could you tell me more abouth that adjustment thing on your adapter ? Perhaps it's just the same as mine.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite simple.
At the back of the adapter, in the part that enters the camera, is a little screw. If you unscrew it a bit you'll be able to screw and unscrew the entire optical part bringing it closer or further to the sensor till you have spot-on infinity with one of your lenses at maximum aperture. When you're done just screw back that little screw to fix in place the optical part.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no thing like that on mine.

I've read that it could be due to the small protruding flange on the bottom lens, which is the reason why some Leica R lenses hit the mirror on Canon 5D.

I'll be testing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is that there should be not problems at all.

DSC_0006 by simbon4o, on Flickr

I have tested 90 2.8 R and Summicron 50 2.0 R - no problems.

PS if there is no infinity the problem should be bad adapter EF-R, if it is fatter than it should be there will be no infinity. LTII is fine even with FD lenses, I have one converted FDn 50 1.4 and tested converted FL 55 1.2 - both have infinity.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really interesting.

Could you do me a favor ? I'd like to know where you've purchased your Lr-Eos adapter and also see a pic of the bottom lens of your Summicron - perhaps the flange on the Summilux is more prominent and that could possibly be a reason.

Tomorrow I'll be testing the adapters again with a friend of mine (he's got a Canon).

Thank you !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VLR wrote:
I would guess that the R to EOS adapter acts like a spacer, which costs you your infinity focus. If you would use a Lens Turbo for Leica R, this would work.

No, that is not the problem. Adapter stacking is perfectly possible as long as the adapters are precisely crafted.
With an R-EOS-Adapter you turn the R-lens into an EOS-lens. So any EOS-to-somthing adapter should work just with any other EOS lens.

You need to check:

1. Does the R-lens on its own focus to infinity?
2. Does the R-lens with the R-EOS-adapter focus on an EOS cam to infinity?
3. Does any EOS lens with the LensTurbo focus to infinity?

If you can answer all three questions with yes, I guess there must be some minor obstactle which prevent the stack from mounting properly.

I use a PentaxK-FujiX-LensTurbo and I can use stacking (for example with M42 lenses). But I hardly ever do it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
VLR wrote:

No, that is not the problem. Adapter stacking is perfectly possible as long as the adapters are precisely crafted.
With an R-EOS-Adapter you turn the R-lens into an EOS-lens. So any EOS-to-somthing adapter should work just with any other EOS lens.

I'm with you as long as there is no optics in the light path and only the flange focal distance (FFD) has to be corrected by the adapter. But in this case, one of the adapters contains a lens. Doesn't that pose some kind of a problem when the adapted lenses exit pupil is further away from the adapter optics than a native lens? Could you help me understand why the FFD is the only measure that has to be correct Question

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely problem is the adapter. I'd try another one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VLR wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
VLR wrote:

I'm with you as long as there is no optics in the light path and only the flange focal distance (FFD) has to be corrected by the adapter. But in this case, one of the adapters contains a lens. Doesn't that pose some kind of a problem when the adapted lenses exit pupil is further away from the adapter optics than a native lens? Could you help me understand why the FFD is the only measure that has to be correct Question

The exit pupil distance doesn't really matter, it's the FFD that matters because it is the distance the lens is designed to focus to(the projected image).
With optics in the adapter, things become much more complicated, the adapter optics must be the correct distance from the sensor, and the lens must be the correct distance from the optics, if either of those are out....