Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bird stalking with a Super-Takumar 1.4/50 - Thank U Calvin
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Bird stalking with a Super-Takumar 1.4/50 - Thank U Calvin Reply with quote

Crazy idea and not done by choice - I would have much rather had a telephoto lens.
However, as Calvin says - the best lens is the one that you have with you......
I was doing something else when I heard splashing behind me at our little bird bath.
Here was an eastern spinebill in for an afternoon dip and scrub.
I only had time to focus and shoot - aperture was f/2.8
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bird stalking with a Super-Takumar 1.4/50 - Thank U Calv Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Crazy idea and not done by choice - I would have much rather had a telephoto lens.
However, as Calvin says - the best lens is the one that you have with you......
I was doing something else when I heard splashing behind me at our little bird bath.
Here was an eastern spinebill in for an afternoon dip and scrub.
I only had time to focus and shoot - aperture was f/2.8
Cheers
OH

Nicely done. I have a 100-400L with IS from Canon for my 60D, and I would be quite pleased to get an image like that. Some times opportunity is your best friend.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know the limit of your equipment and you did well to capture the scene. Very Happy

Depends on your purpose, it is not always necessary to show the details of birds feather. If you use a telephoto lens, you may not able to capture the whole bird bath which is an important element in the photos.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Calvin. You weren't shooting for an Audubon book. Here the overall scene outshines any super detail.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birds are tough for me. I want that image where the bird's details are tack sharp. And I often end up with bad photos. Thanks Calvin for giving me another approach. The environment of the bird is as important as the bird. I knew that but never did it occur to use it in a photo. maybe some of my photos aren't as bad as I think.

Oh and nice photos oldhand. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great capture - I think it also reflects the bird's eye perspective. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's impressive. Never would have thought to go after a bird with a 50. Surprised

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Not a 50mm but ... Reply with quote

another example of "Take the shot while it's there with what you have on the camera."

Last August. I was sitting out on my patio with an after supper coffee and an NEX-6 mounting a Takumar Bayonet 3.5/135. A female Cardinal landed on the spot where the Cooper's Hawk is standing. So I looked down to the table, grabbed the camera to photograph the Cardinal and before I looked up again I heard a whooshing sound. I figured the Cardinal had split but brought up the camera anyway and this guy was in my viewfinder.

Steve