Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

BIF, Canon 7D + Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 (1st version)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: BIF, Canon 7D + Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 (1st version) Reply with quote

A few more photos from the second trial open day (Dunrobin Castle) prior to the official opening day on the 1st of April.

On this occasion I changed to the 7D and Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5, with similar results to the previous week (http://forum.mflenses.com/bif-canon-5d2-and-vivitar-series-1-135-2-3-t70469.html)
I think I was shooting at f5.6 mostly, or one click below.

Gyr Falcon, Peregrine Falcon, Bengal Eagle Owl. The last image shows what happens when Bonsai, the Bengal Eagle Owl, recognises me.....he lands on my head! Laughing

I think I'm now ready for the season to begin, I'll share more photos over the coming months, using a variety of lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!!! ....how do you focus on BIF with a MF lens?..do you pre focus and let them fly into focus?....
the only 1 a get is when the bird take off as i hit the shutter
lens was a rokkor 50-135@ F5.6..it juuust in focus...it quite a crop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wear a leather cap? Laughing

The last photo Gary is spectacular -- bird REALLY likes you...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davev8app wrote:
Excellent!!! ....how do you focus on BIF with a MF lens?..do you pre focus and let them fly into focus?

I'll copy and paste the answer from my previous thread....

" I have to time it right, wait for the bird to come into range and adjust focus as necessary as the bird passes by. Practice really is key, muscle memory too, your hand needs to know how far to turn the focus ring to cover an area of flight. I probably try to cover a 5m part of the flight and adjust focus as the bird passes through that area. I'll fire on the highest speed fps as I can but only fire off 2 or 3 shots. I usually come home with 30-50 shots, of which 10-15 are good at first glance. After closer inspection I might end up with half a dozen sharp images."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
You wear a leather cap? Laughing

The last photo Gary is spectacular -- bird REALLY likes you...

Thanks.

The owl is very gentle when he knows you are not edible, the claws are very sharp but he doesn't apply pressure unless you're on the menu. Smile