Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Looking for a 135mm for Contax/Yashica
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Looking for a 135mm for Contax/Yashica Reply with quote

Hi there, I signed up today this forum. It is a nice place.

I bought a couple of film cameras a few weeks ago, a Contax 139 and a Yashica FX-3 Super 2000. I also bought 3 lenses: 28mm f2.8 RMC Tokina, 50mm f1.9 Yashica ML and 80-200 f4 RMC Tokina. I only need a lens for indoor portrait, I thought something like a 135mm, a cheap one, I can spend about 40-50€. Could you recommend some (almost) good lenses for that price, please? I read some (almost) good review of Soligor and Hanimex. Did you ever try these ones?

Many thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yashica ML 135/2.8 seems good, not as good as the Contax, but that is $1000+ lens.
The Yashica DSB is cheaper, likely not as good as the ML.
Then there is the Yashica YUS, the pics I see from it are not great, I'd pick the DSB before it.

Actually, now that I think of it, I did have a DSB version of the 135/2.8, I never used it, it's now sold.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the ML 135 2.8 is a very good lens. I sold a DSB version, which wasn't 'bad' - it just wasn't as good as the ML.

I like all my ML lenses, I think that although they might not be exceptional lenses, they are above average. They are the top of the range Ford compared to a base model BMW.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for answering.

I have been searching on eBay for that Yashica ML 135, but it is more expensive than 50€, from 90€ to up. Here in Europe, at least. Just some alternative lenses fit to my budget: Soligor C/D, Hanimex MC, Hoya HMC and a Paragon.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Il suonatore Jones wrote:
Thank you for answering.

I have been searching on eBay for that Yashica ML 135, but it is more expensive than 50€, from 90€ to up. Here in Europe, at least. Just some alternative lenses fit to my budget: Soligor C/D, Hanimex MC, Hoya HMC and a Paragon.

Welcome Il suonatore Jones!

I'll recommend Pentacon 135/2.8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron Adaptall 2 135/2.5 (03B) with CY mount.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a Jupiter 11 135mm F4? Never owned one but reviews are not to bad and I beleive the price is fairly low.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get a Yashica ML on eBay for that sort of money. Here's an example on eBay UK; http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/301549449580

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentacon 135/2.8 with an M42 adapter Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter 37A with adapter .. or

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are asking about lenses to use with the Contax 139 and the Yashica FX-3 Super 2000, then the Yashica 135 2.8 has to be the obvious choice. I have a lot, actually all, of the other lenses recommended and they are very good lenses indeed, I wouldn't part with my Pentacon or Jupiter 135's.
Are they better? maybe? They are certainly different, they are multi bladed old school lenses that deliver extraordinary results. The Yashica is much more modern and delivers excellent results. I think it's a fine line between 'extraordinary' and 'excellent' - and does "taking into account the age of the Pentagon and the Jupiter" make that difference?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica ML 135mm and Tokina RMC are most probably the same lens. Hoya could be SUN but nevertheless good lens model. DSB 135mm is not weaker lens then ML, i tried and compared.
You can also take Soligor C/D (SUN made lens). Pick any of those you find cheap, healthy and clean.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I too have the ML 135 and it's a good lens but nothing stood out from other good 135mms I have, and ignoring the argument about what's razor sharp or not....the lenses I like for my film cameras (for different reasons) are:- Meyer 135mm bokeh monster, Vivitar 135mm f2.8 (Komine), M42 Pentax 135mm and M42 CZJ Sonnar 135mm...and they will all work on a Contax 139 as I have that camera too (well assuming you can get the Vivitar in Yashica\Contax mount).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy the Jupiter 37: it's adaptable, cheap, relatively compact, and I love sonnars.
The yashica ml is good too, and a very natural choice for a contax 139.