Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Biotar 2/58 and Helios 44 design compatibility
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Biotar 2/58 and Helios 44 design compatibility Reply with quote

Heretic idea i know: Anyone tried switching elements?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have, and I've not....
All I can say is it depends, the formula may be the same, but the shape of the non optical surfaces may be different.
I swapped out a chipped element from a Zebra with another, both KMZ bit different generations and it worked fine.
I then tried to change out the optics in a 13 blade 44(KMZ) with one of my 44-2's and the optics didn't fit, though I didn't try any another lenses, I should revisit this and see if any of them do fit.
I would be surprised if any of the Soviet elements fit a Biotar or vise versa, There is only one way to know if they will fit, trying to swap them.
If you are willing to mod the body, you should be able to do it, I wasn't willing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting concept. The frankenlens. My hot rod shop did some of that with the engine for my 1991 Honda CRX Si. Its built up with a variety of parts from different engines. eg The heads come from a Integra GSR.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if 44k4 Andrés 44m4 would have the same optics , as I've got one lens with coatings affected by fungus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried swapping the front elements of a 44-2 and a 17-blade Biotar. The Biotar's didn't fit the Helios, but the Helios' kinda fit the Biotar.

kiddo wrote:
I wonder if 44k4 Andrés 44m4 would have the same optics , as I've got one lens with coatings affected by fungus

They probably have, since the only difference among both lenses is their mount.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's from the same factory and relatively close in generation, it's likely to be compatible.
Retooling for a production run is expensive, I think it safe to say that the USSR factories were somewhat frugal, so economies of scale would factor into design choices, why redesign a proven design just because you are making a new camera/lens, use as many components that you can in the new product, especially if it's an expensive component like lens elements.