Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

TOKINA RMC 80-200mm for Olympus OM - "how to" guid
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: TOKINA RMC 80-200mm for Olympus OM - "how to" guid Reply with quote

Can anybody tell me how to disassemble this lens? I need to clean it's front lens from the inside.

Is there any website that has schematics of this lens?

Last edited by WolverineX on Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because no one seemed to be able to help me with my problem i was left to my own devices and i was able to figure out what to do to gain access to inner side of lens front element. And i was able to fix it.

i'll write what to do , so it might help someone else in the future

so here it goes:

there are 4 sets of screws on this lens:
1. screws on the mount - when you take them out you can remove the mount and aperture ring (be careful not to lose a ball bearing that is inside the aperture ring)
2. set of screws is on the barrel -those i didn't touch - i believe you get access to aperture blades
3. set is on top of the lens - i believe is for removing glass from the top element - but no use for my purpose
and finally 4. set is under the rubber grip that you need to remove first

when you remove the grip you'll find 2 pairs of screws

unscrew all 4 screws (be careful not to lose them and the 2 small metal plates that will come loose)

then unscrew the front element

now you can clean inside of the front element, and also inner element

now you have to reassemble the lens

first set the two small metal plates into the grooves on both sides of the zoom barrel and position the lens so that those grooves are to the left and to the right so that the plates don't fall off when screwing back the top element of the lens

now screw back on the top element and as it slowly comes into it's place it will start to push two metal plates into position to screw 4 screws back on

now put the rubber grip back on and your lens is ready to use

Last edited by WolverineX on Sat May 02, 2009 3:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are some photos with this lens now that i've cleaned it

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, Wolverine.

I'd suggest that this sort of thread become a sticky, collecting these
photo-essays of instruction into one place. Great information here,
for regulars and newcomers.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to post to say thanks, this was really useful for me!
I've had this lense collecting (more) dust, but now it's clean inside and out it's working a treat!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joepster wrote:
Just wanted to post to say thanks, this was really useful for me!
I've had this lense collecting (more) dust, but now it's clean inside and out it's working a treat!

you're welcome Surprised)

glad it helped you

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for this guide!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I know this is an old thread but I just repaired my 3rd Tokina RMS 80-200 lens this morning and though I would interject a note or two)

You ended up doing it the hard way.

The flash-plate ring unscrews, then the front lens seat-ring unscrews and the front lens can be removed for cleaning or whatever.

The way you did it you exposed the internal elements to dust from a multitude of entry points.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@tesselator
i had to clean both frontlens from the inside and also moving glass element inside the lens, so this way i got better access to it

@attila - looking at your signature with Olympus OM lenses i see listed 55mm 3.5 macro...there is Olympus 50mm 3.5 macro ... did you make an error or is it some other manufacturer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tesselator wrote:
(I know this is an old thread but I just repaired my 3rd Tokina RMS 80-200 lens this morning and though I would interject a note or two)

The flash-plate ring unscrews, then the front lens seat-ring unscrews and the front lens can be removed for cleaning or whatever.

The way you did it you exposed the internal elements to dust from a multitude of entry points.

But it doesn't work for me as the front lens might be an assembly as I've cleaned the inner and outer lens (of the front lens that unscrews) but can still see a haze, which would suggest there are two elements that need to be seperated (of the front lens that unscrews).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tesselator wrote:

yeeeeeey..... I've just cleaned it, my friend is going to be so pleased Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Any help please Reply with quote

Can anyone help I am a complete newbie, I have this lens but the blades are stuck open and I need to go in from the mount end I'm guessing. If I move the 3 screws on the mount I don't seem to go in far enough, do I need to remove the 3 smaller screws an inch or so down the barrel? I really don't want to make things impossible to put back together. Any ideas please.
Update: Ok no help needed think I was being a little silly, removed mount, unscrewed lens and could see the blades. Feel quite silly Embarassed for asking now!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really old thread but have the same problem as Excalibur, haze inside front elements that can't be separated. It's been soaking in Acetone for a while but still no luck.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roglebk wrote:
Really old thread but have the same problem as Excalibur, haze inside front elements that can't be separated. It's been soaking in Acetone for a while but still no luck.

And revisiting an old thread that keeps on being of service. I have the same issue as @roglebk; The front element complex appears to be a sealed pair; there are no scanner slots or holes, and I can’t identify where a thread might be. It appears that the lens was stored front-down, got warm, and had some lubricant migrate in between the two elements. Other than that, the lens appears to be in good shape. Guidance appreciated as to how to separate that pair.

EDIT: While waiting for wisdom, I tried some more tricks. The pair in question unscrews from the front under the trim ring. Looking at the back of the pair, there’s a recessed ring. I dribbled a little lighter fluid (naphthalene) into the groove next to that, hoping it was threaded. After just a few minutes, using the wide side of a rubber stopper, that retaining ring unscrewed! The pair popped out (in their own ring), and the front element separated from the ring and the rear element, letting me clean them both. It was migrated lube, BTW. Now it looks great!

HTH!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ektar wrote:
roglebk wrote:

And revisiting an old thread that keeps on being of service. I have the same issue as @roglebk; The front element complex appears to be a sealed pair; there are no scanner slots or holes, and I can’t identify where a thread might be. It appears that the lens was stored front-down, got warm, and had some lubricant migrate in between the two elements. Other than that, the lens appears to be in good shape. Guidance appreciated as to how to separate that pair.

EDIT: While waiting for wisdom, I tried some more tricks. The pair in question unscrews from the front under the trim ring. Looking at the back of the pair, there’s a recessed ring. I dribbled a little lighter fluid (naphthalene) into the groove next to that, hoping it was threaded. After just a few minutes, using the wide side of a rubber stopper, that retaining ring unscrewed! The pair popped out (in their own ring), and the front element separated from the ring and the rear element, letting me clean them both. It was migrated lube, BTW. Now it looks great!

HTH!

First: Thanks for this thread - it helped me a lot! Like 1 small To add my two cents: lighter fluid did not work for me for loosening the threads. Nail polish remover (with acetone), however did: a few drops into the grooves, some waiting and I could easily unscrew the retaining ring.
One more thing: the set screws didn't do anything to hold the front group in in my case - which was better because they didn't turn a bit - the front group came out just by using a rubber stopper.