Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ Prakticar 1.8/50 on NEX-3 - the last Pancolar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: CZJ Prakticar 1.8/50 on NEX-3 - the last Pancolar Reply with quote

Although it is labelled 'Carl Zeiss Jena Prakticar' this is a Pancolar, the last of the line. My third Pancolar 1.8/50, the first was a single coated Zebra which was excellent, then an MC Electric M42 that was even better and now this bayonet mount Prakticar, which is perhaps even better again. Imho, it's the equal of it's western contemparies the Planars 1.7/50 and 1.8/50.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp as a tak (No pun intended) Ian. That is a very nice lens and the colours are super Very Happy

I might have to have a lookout for this one. Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Gavin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a nice lens and nice shots to show it. I did not realize this was a Pancolar and now I will also
keep an eye out for one as my Pancolar does not close down all the way.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it. It's an uncommon lens, I think I've only ever seen it on ebay 3 times, and 2 of those times, I bought it! The first time, I didn't realise how rare it was and passed it on to a collector to complete his collection, the second time I spotted one really cheap and of course, was keeping it for myself! Beware of the late model Pentacon 1.8/50s, they were labelled 'Carl Zeiss Jena P'and are not the same lens, they are merely the Pentacon with CZJ branding.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent pictures Ian. The lens has a nice 'clarity' to the colours.

Can you post a picture of the lens, I'd like to see if any of my CZJ's are Pancolar type.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well spotted Dave, there is a clarity, which I put down to very good micro contrast due to the excellent multi coating.

I'll dig out my three Pancolars and take a pic.

In the meantime, here's a dodgy pic of this one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a common Zebra not MC. My first impression is that this lens gives a strong 3D effect. I do not refer to the bokeh but to pictures with depth of field.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
I just bought a common Zebra not MC. My first impression is that this lens gives a strong 3D effect. I do not refer to the bokeh but to pictures with depth of field.

Yes, my Zebra does that too, as does my MC version.

A couple of shots with the MC on my Sony a850 that I think show the effect:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love #8.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Roger, that was just as the light was dying so there was a nice warmth to the last bit of sun of the day.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Cheers Roger, that was just as the light was dying so there was a nice warmth to the last bit of sun of the day.

Can't beat the light when it's in your favor.

Love the blue boat as a subject.